"Championship Streetfighting: Boxing as a Martial Art"

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
Oh sorry, I guess I do owe a bit of an explaination. See, I think that boxing is as much a martial art as ballet is a martial art.

I understand that it takes thousands of hours and years to learn how to hit well and move correctly etc. However, boxing is just not a martial art. It is a refined brawl. Here is why: In boxing you are using your hands only, not your feet at all.

Stan

Green Belt
Reaction score
matt.m said:
Oh sorry, I guess I do owe a bit of an explaination. See, I think that boxing is as much a martial art as ballet is a martial art.

I understand that it takes thousands of hours and years to learn how to hit well and move correctly etc. However, boxing is just not a martial art. It is a refined brawl. Here is why: In boxing you are using your hands only, not your feet at all.

SO THE DEFINITION OF A MARTIAL ART IS A KICKING ART? What about Kali, Judo, Brazilian JuJitsu, Ringen, Aikido, Kenjitsu, or Chin Na, to name a few? To state that Boxing is not a martial art on such grounds, specifically Boxing trained for martial rather than sporting applications as is being discussed here, is the type of statement a kid who watches too much Ninja Turtles might make.

"Martial Art" is a Western term, from the association of the god Mars with war.

Martial arts do not have to emphasize kicking.

They do not have to be Asian.

Ken Pfrenger

Green Belt
Reaction score
lhommedieu said:
I would appreciate a copy.

Best,

Steve Lamade

Hi Steve,

Just PM me and let me know what address to mail it to and I will send it asap.

Ken

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
All this discussion about Dempsey's book got me to thinking it was time to take it off the shelf. Just finished re-reading it, every bit as good the third time through. It has been several years since I last read it, definitely a book you can read at any stage of your martial arts journey, and take something valid from it.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
frank raud said:
All this discussion about Dempsey's book got me to thinking it was time to take it off the shelf. Just finished re-reading it, every bit as good the third time through. It has been several years since I last read it, definitely a book you can read at any stage of your martial arts journey, and take something valid from it.

What is the copy right on the book?

Just curious.

Latest Discussions