Chael Sonnen earns his Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu black belt

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Didn't he used to talk down about BJJ? I guess he realized he needed it despite his great wrestling ability. Wreslters can't always finish the job. Does Khabib know any BJJ?

BJJ is the perfect add-on to wrestling.

Chael Sonnen earns his Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu black belt | BJPenn.com
Chael only trash-talked BJJ for the same reason he trash-talked his opponents. It was part of a persona he put on to promote fights and thereby earn more money. I don’t care for that sort of approach, but it worked out pretty well for him financially.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
He's always done Bjj....his trash talk is wwe level of fake. Though I'm not exactly sure how you can give a guy with terrible submission defence a black belt but cool I guess

OP
T

TMA17

Black Belt
Reaction score
Ah ok. I didin't know that. I wasn't too familiar with him.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
He's always done Bjj....his trash talk is wwe level of fake. Though I'm not exactly sure how you can give a guy with terrible submission defence a black belt but cool I guess
I have no idea who he is, so I’m going out on a limb here...
“Terrible submission defense” against who? Elite MMA pro fighters and/or legends of BJJ or against 99.9% of the real BJJ population who are normal everyday guys?

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have no idea who he is, so I’m going out on a limb here...
“Terrible submission defense” against who? Elite MMA pro fighters and/or legends of BJJ or against 99.9% of the real BJJ population who are normal everyday guys?
The first. I very much doubt I’d have much luck catching him in anything.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The first. I very much doubt I’d have much luck catching him in anything.
I figured as much. So a guy who can go to practically any BJJ school and dominate practically any black belt there doesn’t deserve a black belt because his submission defense against the top 0.1% of the BJJ population is suspect.

Ok.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I figured as much. So a guy who can go to practically any BJJ school and dominate practically any black belt there doesn’t deserve a black belt because his submission defense against the top 0.1% of the BJJ population is suspect.

Ok.
I think you should go tell Fabiano that he’s sandbagging his guys. Lol.

Latest Discussions