Certificate Eligibility

kaminikage

White Belt
Reaction score
So the school / Association that I got my black belt with is completely independent as far as I am aware. And I am curious as to how I get my black belt certified in order to compete in the circuits with other black belts from other schools that are certified under the ITF or WTF. (i.e. nationalso ect.) Thoughts?

Azulx

Black Belt
Reaction score
I will have this same issue once I get my first dan. I am curious to see the responses.

OP
kaminikage

kaminikage

White Belt
Reaction score
I will have this same issue once I get my first dan. I am curious to see the responses.
Yeah I'm wondering if there will be some sort of test or technique demonstration required before a cert is granted

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score
If someone wants a certificate transfer for an organization other than the KKW or GTF from the ITF a request has to be submitted by an INO (Independent National Organization) or MO (Member Organization). This means the person in question must have contacted that national organization, or an instructor within it, and made some provision to be reviewed and make any technical updates that are deemed necessary by the instructor or Master with whom they are working.

If you are interested in getting certified by the ITF and are in the U.S. I can give you information on who to contact if you like.

Pax,

Chris

OP
kaminikage

kaminikage

White Belt
Reaction score
If someone wants a certificate transfer for an organization other than the KKW or GTF from the ITF a request has to be submitted by an INO (Independent National Organization) or MO (Member Organization). This means the person in question must have contacted that national organization, or an instructor within it, and made some provision to be reviewed and make any technical updates that are deemed necessary by the instructor or Master with whom they are working.

If you are interested in getting certified by the ITF and are in the U.S. I can give you information on who to contact if you like.

Pax,

Chris

That is good to know thank you. Sound like i should get started asap cause it may be a lengthy process.

And yes any information on who to contact would be great!

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Are you in the US? It sounds like USA Taekwondo (basically, the US branch of WTF), is about to start offering a test every year that you can take to "convert" your school black belt to a Kukkiwon 1st dan. The press release was recent and a bit vague, so more info about that will probably be forthcoming later on. You also may be able to find a KKW-affiliated master who can test you for 1st dan. Keep in mind, though, you'll need to learn all the KKW forms and how to do Olympic-style sparring first.

Another thing to consider is that a lot of "open" TKD tournaments - at least in the US - don't actually require you to be part of the KKW or ITF or whatever. You just put on the form that you're an X belt, and show up wearing that belt, and they'll put you in that division. If you want to try to compete on a national or international level, that won't be enough, but to mix it up at a local event it should be fine.

OP
kaminikage

kaminikage

White Belt
Reaction score
Are you in the US? It sounds like USA Taekwondo (basically, the US branch of WTF), is about to start offering a test every year that you can take to "convert" your school black belt to a Kukkiwon 1st dan. The press release was recent and a bit vague, so more info about that will probably be forthcoming later on. You also may be able to find a KKW-affiliated master who can test you for 1st dan. Keep in mind, though, you'll need to learn all the KKW forms and how to do Olympic-style sparring first.

Another thing to consider is that a lot of "open" TKD tournaments - at least in the US - don't actually require you to be part of the KKW or ITF or whatever. You just put on the form that you're an X belt, and show up wearing that belt, and they'll put you in that division. If you want to try to compete on a national or international level, that won't be enough, but to mix it up at a local event it should be fine.

I would love to read that article if you have the link for it... if not I'll just look for it myself.

I am wondering if that test is only for 1st dan and if so how long is necessary to wait before testing for the next dan.

TrueJim

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I would love to read that article if you have the link for it... if not I'll just look for it myself.

I am wondering if that test is only for 1st dan and if so how long is necessary to wait before testing for the next dan.

A summary of the new process can be found here: U.S. National Dan Program

To answer your question, if you're not in ITF or ATA, then I suspect that you can test only for 1st dan. I don't know that USTGS has decided yet how long you have to wait to test for the next dan.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
So the school / Association that I got my black belt with is completely independent as far as I am aware. And I am curious as to how I get my black belt certified in order to compete in the circuits with other black belts from other schools that are certified under the ITF or WTF. (i.e. nationalso ect.) Thoughts?

Unless you're competing at the world level, it's unlikely the source of your rank will really matter.
Google will find you lots of places on the web that will process a KKW Dan certificate for you.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Looks like you can convert a school dan up to 3rd dan. Here is a copy of FAQ from USAT's news on this program:

"Q. I have a Black Belt Certificate from my local Taekwondo Instructor. Can I get the equivalent US National Dan Rank as my current local Black Belt Rank?
A. Yes. There is a $50 conversion fee for getting the equivalent of your current local belt certification. This conversion is applicable only up to 3rd Dan local Black Belt certification. After converting to a maximum of 3rd Dan (US National Dan) you are then eligible to follow the National Dan Promotion Program for future belt rank promotions."