Cerebral Palsy:additional instructor insights wanted.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yesterday I picked up a student who has mild CP. His parents came to me as a personal trainer and MA instructor looking to get the child some one on one help. His doctor has left it open as to what we want to do with him and has only stated that he needs to build his balance and his core muscles. I am going to use a blend of yoga, core training, MA, bosu, and strength training to try and build his balance and coordination.

The problem I have run into is the lack of information on helping people with CP. I have some ideas layed out for training, but I am interested in any addtional insights that other instructors or parents might have to help him out. Cognitively, the kid is in great shape. He is a little slow, but not noticable in passing. If you have any personal experience with CP students or if you have any drills that might help, please share them.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yesterday I picked up a student who has mild CP. His parents came to me as a personal trainer and MA instructor looking to get the child some one on one help. His doctor has left it open as to what we want to do with him and has only stated that he needs to build his balance and his core muscles. I am going to use a blend of yoga, core training, MA, bosu, and strength training to try and build his balance and coordination.

The problem I have run into is the lack of information on helping people with CP. I have some ideas layed out for training, but I am interested in any addtional insights that other instructors or parents might have to help him out. Cognitively, the kid is in great shape. He is a little slow, but not noticable in passing. If you have any personal experience with CP students or if you have any drills that might help, please share them.

Hi Searcher,

Well, I may be able to help you. I've had mild CP my whole life & have trained in TKD since 1982. I can already tell that you have most important skills to help him: 1) You're willing to be engaged in the process of helping him out. 2) The plan that you described so far will help a lot.

CP is basically from lack of oxygen to the brain either at birth or shortly after. The parts of the body (including speech, vision hearing, etc.) affected depends on what part of the brain was deprived of oxygen. The affects are basically the same as stroke victims. Muscle tightness is one of the biggest issues for folks with CP. Often, one muscle group will be so tight it restricts range of motion. (eg. If biceps are tight, it will restrict tricep extension). Stretching is key to everything athletic for folks with CP. When I started, it was painful cuz my muscles were so tight (like it is for most). Now, I'm at full split. It was more work for me than other folks in class, but so worth it.

Things that helped me a lot as a student was my instructor's attitude about me. I was pushed & not able to use it as an excuse. Board breaking at my 1st test, for example, was to break with 2 different techniques instead of one. The stretching, the workout & the experience will take him out of his comfort zone. That's a good thing. It's likely that in world he's used to, he's pretty special. On the mat, while his class plan may be specialized for him, he shouldn't be allowed to be treated differently than the other students. He helps, cleans, lines up...whatever is the norm.

I would like to know what the details are of his "mild CP." I have friend who teaches folks with disabilities that may be able to help & a doctor to runs a pediatric CP in St. Louis who not only has CP herself, but has an MA program as part of therapy for her patients. If you would like more info on anything, let me know.

OP
searcher

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
I would like to know what the details are of his "mild CP."

I will be doing his assessment next week for his personal training sessions. I will be using this information to help better build his program and to see which areas he needs help on. I will also be talking with his physician(once I get a release from his parents) and his parents to see what restrictions he may have.

Thanks for the input.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Given that this student is a child, in addition to the great information that Iceman has provided, I would ask the parents for permission to talk to his school. If he is in special education and/or seeing a physical therapist, the special education team - especially the physical therapist if he's seeing one - could give you some great insight into what is already being done, and what would be most appropriate/helpful to this student.

How old is the student? Given that you've mentioned core strength, I would guess that gross motor is as much/more of a concern as fine motor. Is he spastic (tight muscles)? Does he have flexibility concerns? Is one side of his body more affected than the other? Arms more than legs? When you say "He is a little slow, but not noticable in passing" what does that mean? I'm asking all these questions because I am a special education teacher, and also because I've had a student in my TKD class for the last 6 years who is more than a little slow (IQ in the 60s) and has CP affecting his entire body - but I need more information before I can give any specific advice.

OP
searcher

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
How old is the student? Given that you've mentioned core strength, I would guess that gross motor is as much/more of a concern as fine motor. Is he spastic (tight muscles)? Does he have flexibility concerns? Is one side of his body more affected than the other? Arms more than legs? When you say "He is a little slow, but not noticable in passing" what does that mean? I'm asking all these questions because I am a special education teacher, and also because I've had a student in my TKD class for the last 6 years who is more than a little slow (IQ in the 60s) and has CP affecting his entire body - but I need more information before I can give any specific advice.

1.) 13 years old
2.) The core strength issue came from his physician
3.), 4.), 5.) I have not been able to do his assessment yet, but he has been taking yoga. I will also be checking his gait.
6.) Legs are also of concern to his physician.
7.) I don't have access to his IQ test, but by "a litle slow" I mean he would be on the lower end of normal(which is not really an issue). If I had to guess I think it would be around 80.

I will give you more info when I perform his assessment. Thank you for the help Kacey.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
1.) 13 years old
2.) The core strength issue came from his physician
3.), 4.), 5.) I have not been able to do his assessment yet, but he has been taking yoga. I will also be checking his gait.
6.) Legs are also of concern to his physician.
7.) I don't have access to his IQ test, but by "a litle slow" I mean he would be on the lower end of normal(which is not really an issue). If I had to guess I think it would be around 80.

I will give you more info when I perform his assessment. Thank you for the help Kacey.

Okay, here's a place to start:

For both the CP and the slower processing speed (and be sure that that's the problem - CP can cause speech difficulties that can make a person seem less intelligent than they are, and can also slow the response time, giving the same impression), break tasks down into their smallest component parts - even more than you might for other students.

For example, if you are teaching a kick, do the kick in multiple parts, with one count for each part, as follows:

1. preparatory position (e.g. for front kick, foot raised with the knee up)
  2. extension (e.g. for front kick, foot extended with the foot in the correct position)
  3. retraction (e.g. for front kick, return to the preparatory position - assuming that that's how your front kick works; adjust as needed)
  4. return (e.g. put the foot back down into the stance)
If balance is an issue, start with a wall bar (if you have one) or a chair with enough weight to provide stability and rubber or other non-skid feet; even if balance is not much of an issue, starting with a support provides one less thing for new students to worry about. Do the kick initially from the stance the kick will be performed in, but without stepping. As the student improves his ability to kick, change it to a 3-count kick by combining steps 2 and 3; when that has been mastered, change it to a 2 count kick by combining steps 2-4 (now 2 & 3), then a 1 count kick. After the 1 count kick has been mastered with a support, do it without a support; then add stepping and kicking. I also use 4, 3, and 2 count kicks in line drills as needed. I teach kicks this way anyway, but usually only to white belts and only for one night, unless we are working on something specific, usually something technical that cannot be done full speed.

The same thing can be done with hand techniques - break them down into their component parts and teach each part in sequence. The key is to make sure that the steps are always presented in the same sequence.

Forms/patterns/sequences of any type can be taught the same way - progressively - in fact, that is how I generally teach them. Students learn 1 move, then go back and start the form again; depending on the student and the length/complexity of the form, as each step or set of steps is mastered, new steps can be added.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes!

kingkong89

Green Belt
Reaction score
as a martial arts instructor i have a family member with cp. just train them like a normal student only at a slower space. of course there are going to be limitations but do what you can

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Can you give us an update, Searcher? How is your student doing? Inquiring minds want to know.:wavey:

OP
searcher

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
He is doing great. I have had many who have made comments on how he is walking and his performance in school. I have been working with him since the first of the year and if you did not know he has CP, you would walk past him and never know. He has worked out many of his muscular imbalances and he is getting a great deal stronger. As a matter of fact, I had a session with him tonight and he is now looking forward to playing football next year. He was unable to play last year and he is excited to get a chance to play. His mother comes to tears evey time I talk to her about it, she is very excited about his progress.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
He is doing great. I have had many who have made comments on how he is walking and his performance in school. I have been working with him since the first of the year and if you did not know he has CP, you would walk past him and never know. He has worked out many of his muscular imbalances and he is getting a great deal stronger. As a matter of fact, I had a session with him tonight and he is now looking forward to playing football next year. He was unable to play last year and he is excited to get a chance to play. His mother comes to tears evey time I talk to her about it, she is very excited about his progress.

That is excellent! Congratulations to both student & instructor.:asian:

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Way cool! It's always good to hear these types of success stories. I had a student who did that some years ago; he had some type of neuromuscular deficiency that affected his fine and gross motor skills, but after 6 months in TKD, his fine and gross motor skills improved 17 months - his mother was ecstatic! So was I... until he dropped TKD for hockey :eek:. Oh well... it was still worth it!

OP
searcher

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thanks guys. Your help and support means alot.

Hawke

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Gratz to you and your student as well. A journey worth taking for the experienced gained.

I did some work with CP and autism by working on horseback riding. The kids learn to strengthen their core muscles, balance, and communicate better in a supportive environment. This might also work well for him as well.

There's a Kung Fu San Soo instructor Larry Rouse that has worked with special needs kids and has gotten great results.

Here's his website if you talk to him.
http://www.sansoocenter.com/

Latest Discussions