Cat Bathing as a Martial Art

Shaderon

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Some people say cats never have to be bathed. They say cats lick themselves clean. They say cats have a special enzyme of some sort in their saliva that works like new, improved Wisk--dislodging the dirt where it hides and whisking it away.
I've spent most of my life believing this folklore. Like most blind believers, I've been able to discount all the facts to the contrary - the kitty odors that lurk in the corners of the garage and dirt smudges that cling to the throw rug by the fireplace.

The time comes, however, when a person must face reality; when he must look squarely in the face of massive public sentiment to the contrary and announce: "This cat smells like a port-a-potty on a hot day in Juarez."
When that day arrives at your house, as it has in mine, I have some advice you might consider as you place your feline friend under you arm and head for the bathtub:
Know that although the cat has the advantages of quickness and utter disregard for human life, you have the advantage of strength. Capitalize on that advantage by selecting the battlefield. Don't try to bathe him in an open area where he can force you to chase him. Pick a very small bathroom. If your bathroom is more than four feet square, I recommend that you get in the tub with the cat and close the sliding-glass doors as if you were about to take a shower. (A simple shower curtain will not do. A berserk cat can shred a three-ply rubber shower curtain quicker than a politician can shift positions.)
Know that a cat has claws and will not hesitate to remove all the skin from your body. Your advantage here is that you are smart and know how to dress to protect yourself. I recommend canvas overalls tucked into high-top construction boots, a pair of steel-mesh gloves, an army helmet, a hockey face mask and a long-sleeve flak jacket.
Prepare everything in advance. There is no time to go out for a towel when you have a cat digging a hole in your flak jacket. Draw the water. Make sure the bottle of kitty shampoo is inside the glass enclosure. Make sure the towel can be reached, even if you are lying on your back in the water.
Use the element of surprise. Pick up your cat nonchalantly, as if to simply carry him to his supper dish. (Cats will not usually notice your strange attire. They have little or no interest in fashion as a rule. If he does notice your garb, calmly explain that you are taking part in a product-testing experiment for J.C. Penney.)
Once you are inside the bathroom, speed is essential to your survival. In a single liquid motion, shut the bathroom door, step into the tub enclosure, slide the glass door shut, dip the cat in the water and squirt him with shampoo. You have begun one of the wildest 45 seconds of your life. Cats have no handles.
Add the fact that he now has soapy fur, and the problem is radically compounded. Do not expect to hold on to him for more that two or three seconds at a time. When you have him, however, you must remember to give him another squirt of shampoo and rub like crazy. He'll then spring free and fall back into the water, thereby rinsing himself off. (The national record is--for cats--three latherings, so don't expect too much.)
Next, the cat must be dried. Novice cat bathers always assume this part will be the most difficult, for humans generally are worn out at this point and the cat is just getting really determined. In fact, the drying is simple compared to what you have just been through. That's because by now the cat is semi-permanently affixed to your right leg. You simply pop the drain plug with your foot, reach for your towel and wait. (Occasionally, however, the cat will end up clinging to the top of your army helmet. If this happens, the best thing you can do is to shake him loose and to encourage him toward your leg.) After all the water is drained from the tub, it is a simple matter to just reach down and dry the cat.
Do *NOT* try to use a blow dryer. You might as well use a vacuum cleaner.

In a few days the cat will relax enough to be removed from your leg. He will usually have nothing to say for about three weeks and will spend a lot of time sitting with his back to you. He might even become psycho-ceramic and develop the fixed stare of a plaster figurine.
You will be tempted to assume he is angry. This isn't usually the case. As a rule he is simply plotting ways to get through your defenses and injure you for life the next time you decide to give him a bath. But, at least now he smells a lot better.

To bathe a cat requires brute force, perseverance, courage of conviction - and a cat.
The last ingredient is the hardest to come by. - [SIZE=-1]Stephen Baker [/SIZE]

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If one can, wrap the animal/cat in a nice big towel. Close one door to the bath room if it has two. Then go in and close the other. If you have one of those shower heads with the removeable head and flex hose then have it read on the shower floor. Put the cat into the shower and use your body to block. If there is a door then the area is smaller then normal wihtout a door. Have all the tools at hand. Be it shampoo's or soaps and then get ready to wet the cat down. Also note that one will have to get wet as well.

Good Luck and give your cat some time to forgive you.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We own 6 cats and they all had to have a bath at one point , not an easy task...Defination of squirming : A cat that knows they are about to be bathed...

jdinca

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't know that I've ever been more torn up than when I tried to bathe my cat as a kid.

Definitely requires hand speed that I did not possess at the time...

donna

Black Belt
Reaction score
My Aunt had a cat that loved water so much , she had to make sure the cat was shut out of the bathroom when she took a bath or shower, as the cat would jump in with her.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My Aunt had a cat that loved water so much , she had to make sure the cat was shut out of the bathroom when she took a bath or shower, as the cat would jump in with her.

My brother had 2 cats that LOVED water...

OP
Shaderon

Shaderon

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I know Bengals like water as a rule, but I've never heard of any other cat who did. My cat didn't mind being splashed and wasn't too bothered about rain but she hated getting her paws wet. I often thought I could probably bath her as long as she didn't get her paws wet. :uhyeah:

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Wait.....why is my cat giving me a thousand-yard stare? All I did was open the thread....

Randy Strausbaugh

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I gave my cat a bath once, and she really liked it. Problem was, the fur kept getting stuck on my tongue.

Yeah, I stole that one from Steve Martin. So sue me. :)

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
With cat's if you want to bath them you need to start them very early and get them used to it as a kitten. Even then you are probably in for it once they are an adult and all precautions should be taken.
icon6.gif

Now here is another fun thing to try with your cat. (definately a bonding moment) I attempted this as an eleven or twelve year old and will never ever try anything like it again. Note I attempted this on a fully grown barn tom cat. :erg: Remember I was young at the time. Well one day I thought after walking my dog on his leash that it would be really cool to walk a cat on a leash. That was mistake number one. Mistake number two was getting a leash and making a small collar out of twine. Mistake number three: yep you guessed it attempting to put it on the cat. Now I was young, naive and simply did not understand cats at all so I had shorts, t-shirt and tennis shoes on. Well needless to say I went to the hospital to get some shots after the incident. However my one point of this story is that you can walk a cat on a leash or drag it and yet you should be prepared to pay dearly.
icon10.gif
(note the cat was not hurt during this event only the child)

JBrainard

Senior Master
Reaction score
I know Bengals like water as a rule, but I've never heard of any other cat who did. My cat didn't mind being splashed and wasn't too bothered about rain but she hated getting her paws wet. I often thought I could probably bath her as long as she didn't get her paws wet. :uhyeah:

My friend had a cat that would sleep in the bathroom sink and didn't mind if you ran the water. It wasn't a Bengal, but we theorized that it was brain damaged.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Some people say cats never have to be bathed.

<snip a large quantity of hilarious prose>

To bathe a cat requires brute force, perseverance, courage of conviction - and a cat.
The last ingredient is the hardest to come by. - [SIZE=-1]Stephen Baker [/SIZE]

I have nothing to add of any use whatsoever but wanted to post as you've just had me guffawing madly and that quite effectively removed the black cloud I've been working under all day ROFL :tup: :rei: and every other signal of approval I can think of :D.

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
Wegies are norally very clean but I had to bathe ours in a special bath when he got lice that one time. Trying to do this to a 14 pound monster without any protective gear was a HUGE mistake and I succeded only on sheer stubborness. The bath looked like a cut scene from the Texas Chainsaw Massacre afterwards.
icon_smile_cat.gif

qi-tah

Brown Belt
Reaction score

My cat is the exact opposite - hates getting wet but stands in his water bowl to drink. After which he generally wants to find me and either a) dry his paws on my lap, or b) flicks water at me.