CAS Hanwei swords question

Highland Ninja

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I just recently received the CAS Hanwei sword catalog. Looks like they have some really nice swords!

Does anyone here have any experience buying from them? I'm definitely looking for input on their various lines. Before I dish out $800, $1,200, or $1,800 for a sword, I definitely want some reviews!

Their Praying Mantis, Oni, Musashi, and Tiger styles caught my eye, but price may force me to go with a Wind & Thunder, Shinto, or Great Wave style.

That being said, are their less expensive Practical swords any good?

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I can only speak from hands on experience about the Practical end of the Paul Chen/Hanwei range.

The Practical Plus that I own is a robust piece of kit that can stand up to the rigours of cutting practice easily enough but it is not particularly close to traditional accuracy in terms of it's shape or fittngs.

It compares very poorly next to my high-end Tozando iaito but, in fairness, the Tozando was more than twice the price.

For an owners views on the more expensive Chen blades, I'd recommend a search of threads over at SFI. I recall that these swords have been discussed over there a time or two.

okashiibudo

White Belt
Reaction score
I own the Practical Katana, Musashi, Golden Oriole, and Shinto katana & wakizashi. One thing that bothers me a little about all of them is that the tsuka is straight, as opposed to the curvature continuing through it.

While this is not incorrect in itself (many classical pieces have a particular straight-tsuka shape), for my training I always use my Swordstore (Nosyuiaido) 4004 iaito, because the tsuka feels more natural with that slight curve to it.

Of all of them that I've used so far, the Shinto has the closest feel to my more expensive iaito, as far as weight distribution, balance and "flow" are concerned.

Hope that helps.

ninjaman

White Belt
Reaction score
I own the CAS Hanwei Practical Elite Katana Sword & the CAS Hanwei Iga Ninja-To Sword. They are both remarkable and amazing swords. I love them! They are so detailed with very sharp blades. I bought them from TheNinjaStore.com.
img-sh6000kpc.jpg

img-sh2431.jpg

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I would really like to know why he would spend that much on a fictional sword as well. I guess because it said it was "High carbon steel" and it is "Very sharp"

I think its just a way to get people over to that site.
No serious JSA person would touch them though.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
CAS Henwei has some decent products but they are far from what the origional nihonto is! As Sukerkin said they can be used for a good bit of practice as they are robust. However, there fittings are usually incredibly poor unless bought from Bugei and they do not feel quite the same as the real thing! However, if you are on a budget then they can be okay! ;)

Note I practice some tameshigiri with a couple of them because of their price point. Rarely do I practice tameshigiri with my higher end nihonto!

I always advise someone to talk with their instructor and find out what they would prefer that they have. Personally I steer practitioners to good or higher end iaito for their practice. Then down the road they can think about a live blade! ;)