Care of new staff?

Maltair

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
Just got a new white wax 6' staff. Sucker is stout :)
It seams rather slick though. I wiped it down but it didn't help a whole lot.
Any suggestions?

Feisty Mouse

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't know very much about the care of the waxwood staff, but all the ones I have seen have been pretty slick. I don't know if you can (or want to?) roughen it at all - it will slide through your hands pretty smoothly, which is convenient.

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
i have a couple of white wax escrima that i use for jujutsu...we use them for short stick and baton work...they are pretty slick...i don't know what you could do...i think there's some grip balm available...gorilla grip or something...

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My staff & spear are white waxwood. The staff I've had for about 4 years, the spear 3. I've never finished them. The only thing I do is after a particularly sweaty work out, I'll towel them off to remove excess sweat & oil. Waxwood is going to soak up a lot of body oil & sweat because of it's porus nature & will stain tan & the more it's used, the deeper the stain. Just keep it straight & towelled off & it'll probably be just fine.

A deeply darkened waxwood staff can "kinda" be used as an indicator of practice... the darker the wood, the longer the practice time shown. It's a reach, but it's a thing... :)

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My staff is 20 years old & spear about 18 years. The 2-headed spear is about 15 now. All are white waxwood, and I oil them periodically (just don't use peanut oil or the ants may come a visiting).

I have newer staffs and sticks of various materials including waxwood. I did sand them very lightly a bit at first, especially the ends where you can ding someone or yourself with the wood.

-Michael

OP
Maltair

Maltair

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I talked to my instructor, he has never messed with Wax wood. He thought maybe using a rough sandpaper then some oil. There currently is no finish on it that I can see.
I've been rubbing it and working with it a bunch. I can't tell if I'm getting used to it or if it really is getting better :idunno: I'd rather not hit it with any sandpaper. I'll have to see about that gorilla grip stuff.

Feisty Mouse

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I wouldn't hit it with sandpaper, myself. One of my instructors left one of his waxwood staves out on a porch - so it could get rained on - for a while, and it developed this beautiful brown/grey patina. Still slippery like waxwood, but a little more "aged". It's very pretty, I think.

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
hmmm...that sounds cool...i'd definitely not use sandpaper...they have such a great smooth finish...wouldn't want to ruin that

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
i am definitely not an artist...unless you put martial with that i suppose...i wouldn't even dare try drawing something on scratch paper much less carving or burning...erasers don't work well there...

Latest Discussions