Cardiovascular Conditioning...

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Very important!

I know of a few instances of officers fighting suspects and having heart attacks afterwards.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Absolutely, and with that said I am incredibly guilty of late of omitting that part of my training. Ever since the bone marrow edema issues I have not been able to get back to my old aerobics routine. And I compensated with more anaerobic training. I came to the conclusion that things had to changes, then did some testing ad found I can still do the stationary bike.

So I took out everything that was not directly related to CMA training and started using only yoga for strength and flexibility and so far I feel great and it frees up time to get back to aerobic so I am back on the stationary bike and back to aerobic training when I most definitely need,

Last edited:

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Agreed.
Am constantly amazed with the many self defense experts out there that are overweight and the many who train self defensive actions yet have no cardio. Firearms and bladed weapon 'experts' who have trouble walking from their vehicles to the firing range but have every piece of tacticool equipment one can have. They can't walk up a flight of stairs without being out of breath. Huge on self-defense practicing their weapon draw but won't protect their most important asset...their heart!
The physiological effect of the adrenaline dump with the extreme stress of a self defense situation often ends with a heart attack because of the persons weak cardiovascular system. They may have survived the self defense situation but are now fighting for their lives due to a damaged heart.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's not just overweight.

We have seen guys that are fit aerobically go down.

But when you combine the aerobic and the anaerobic together along with the adrenaline of a fight that combination can be dangerous especially for us middle age guys.

Our trainers are stressing to combine aerobic and anaerobic into our training

kuniggety

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I used to do all cardio... hell, I ran a marathon once. But all I got out of it was muscle loss and sore knees. I've swung completely to the other side of the spectrum, doing all strength training with all my cardio coming from doing the strength training at a pace to keep my heart up and from grappling. I had to take a fitness test about a month ago and thought my heart was going to beat out of my chest during the run. I knew I was neglecting it and trying to work a little more cardio back into my regimine now. I love the experiences life has to offer but you're gonna miss out on a helluva lot if you dont take care of your body.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
For us cardio is important just to perform in class.

You want to roll for fifteen minutes then you need to be fit.

Hell you want to wrestle for two minutes you need to be fit.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I recently changed the warm-up portion of my classes to include some interval training. We use simple stuff like mountain climbers, burpees, and complex push-ups. How anaerobic it gets depends upon the intensity the student puts into it. I get significantly out of breath every interval, except usually the push-ups.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My cardio is way below where I would like it to be, largely because of my asthma. I 've been trying to improve it now that I have medicine for the asthma, but this has been the worst cold & flu season in recent memory and everyone around me keeps giving me germs that I have to fight off, meaning the volume and intensity of my training has been down considerably this past month or two. I don't know whether it's my age or my asthma, but it seems like my cardio drops off really quickly any time I cut back on my training anymore.

Fortunately, BJJ and Capoeira enforce a certain minimum amount of cardio work even when I'm not pushing hard. I may not have the endurance of the fighters at my gym, but I'm a whole lot better off than I would be if I wasn't training.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
My muscular endurance is at a 6 while my cardio is at a 2. Got dayum I hate doing cardio. It takes long and it's boring. The only cardio I follow is MA training.
it doesn't need to be long, it or may not be boring. People see to equate cardio with end less jogging, but you can replace jogging with say house work or gardening as long as it gets you heart to the same level it be maybe long and dull but at least its productive and it works more mucles. But jogging level cardio isn't really whee it is at for a fighter . You need to decide what you want your body to do ma wise and then look to recreate that level in your training. So if what you believe is neccersary is is the ability to go near flat out for 5 mins , then that's the cardo level you should concentrate on reproducing in your training. Ideally you want to do the full range from long and lazy to short and intense, but having it do what you need it to, when you need it, is more important. You also need to share it out round the body, running is great for heart health and your leg mucles, but neglect the oxygen burning efficiecy of your arm mucles. Think burpies or kettle bell or bag work

Last edited:

Paul_D

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
One night, after 15 minutes of sparring, I sat out the next round. My instructor told me you can't quit in the street. I told him fights don't last 15 minutes in the street.

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
One night, after 15 minutes of sparring, I sat out the next round. My instructor told me you can't quit in the street. I told him fights don't last 15 minutes in the street.

What was his reply to that?

Latest Discussions