Captain America

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
NEW YORK (AP) -- Captain America has undertaken his last mission - at least for now.
The venerable superhero is killed in the issue of his namesake comic that hit stands Wednesday, the New York Daily News reported. On the new edition's pages, a sniper shoots down the shield-wielding hero as he leaves a courthouse.
It ends a long run for the stars-and-stripes-wearing character, created in 1941. Over the years, some 210 million copies of Captain America comic books, published by New York-based Marvel Entertainment Inc., have been sold in 75 countries.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/C/CAPTAIN_AMERICA?SITE=PASCR&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

fnorfurfoot

Senior Master
Reaction score
Death in comic book terms means that he is taking a year off from superherodom. I hope things work out well for the movie deal. I would like to see Capt. in a film were he isn't wearing plastic ears like the last one.

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Um, so now we're memorializing comic book characters? What's next, a thread in here for Bret Favre's career? :rolleyes:

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well we must remember those childhood dreams of becoming a super hero

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
We're talking about a guy who was entombed in an iceblock floating around the arctic ocean for decades, do you really think a sniper bullet is going to slow him down?

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
Captain America was the embodiment of the American Spirit and Heroism for a ton of kids. I know, I was one of them.......The Red Skull, The Super Patriot. Great villians for Cappy to beat down.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I will miss his stories. Some of the best covers I have seen came from those comics.

ArmorOfGod

Senior Master
Reaction score
Bah, I am the biggest comic junkie that I know and every hero's death leads to his resurection in some way. Just look at Capt America's sidekick Bucky. Even he was brought back to life.
Also, Superman was killed ten years ago and brought back a year later. Spiderman's uncle was semi-brought back. Supergirl has been brought back a few different times. Jason Todd (Robin number 2) was brought back as a villian (Hush) and we never thought that would happen. Green Arrow and Hal Jordan are a few more biggies that came back from the afterlife.
Don't worry guys; he will be back soon or at least fairly soon.

AoG

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thread moved to the Rec. Room to generate a better response.

Lisa Deneka
MT Assist. Admin.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Captain America was the embodiment of the American Spirit and Heroism for a ton of kids. I know, I was one of them.......

Same here. Even though many people called him the "Blue Boy Scout," I always admired him, whether it was Steve Rogers or Steve Rogers as Captain America (or the Captain for a while). It wasn't the uniform and shield that made the man, it was the man that made the character.

The Red Skull, The Super Patriot. Great villians for Cappy to beat down.

Ironically, Cappy was literally fighting himself when he went against these guys. After all, Johann Schmidt's consciousness (The Red Skull) was transferred into a body cloned from Steve Rogers, and John Walker (The Super Patriot) became Captain America for a while.

Great storywriting, and regardless of the times, Cap was still Cap, and stayed true to his beliefs, even if he ended up losing popularity at some times.

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
Good old Cap has died before and come back so why not this time. In fact, for a time there his series had been completely stop for some reason known only to Marvel. He came back bigger and better than before. This character is too iconic to keep down for long.

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
Same here. Even though many people called him the "Blue Boy Scout," I always admired him, whether it was Steve Rogers or Steve Rogers as Captain America (or the Captain for a while). It wasn't the uniform and shield that made the man, it was the man that made the character.

Ironically, Cappy was literally fighting himself when he went against these guys. After all, Johann Schmidt's consciousness (The Red Skull) was transferred into a body cloned from Steve Rogers, and John Walker (The Super Patriot) became Captain America for a while.

Great storywriting, and regardless of the times, Cap was still Cap, and stayed true to his beliefs, even if he ended up losing popularity at some times.

I have met the true C.A. Fan, like myself. I mean C.A. Was the greatest hero.....Him, his shield, and a Harley. No Billion dollar car, No Flight, No Bullets bounce off me stuff.

And yeah, actually the first time Cap and S.P. fought it was outside a Springsteen concert. They tried the black suit with C.A. for a while.....didn't fare well.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't read comics any more but I followed the Civil War series with my son (and posted about it here, with spoilers). That major series had Captain America and his team against Iron Man and his team to decide whether superheroes would be government agents or not. This is the final shot in that war.

We tried to find the comic after work yesterday but it had sold out. Hopefully we'll get it soon!

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
I got this mornings newspaper and right on the front page was a picture of Captain America! This is Australia remember. The death of this American icon has earned a full page write-up in the Canberra Times. Isn't that something?

LOHAN

White Belt
Reaction score
I use to have the Promo copy of the video.
I remeber when He met the Pres. of U.S.!
The words were Gee wiz!
I did laugh & enjoy the great humor the movie had.
As a kid I realy like the film--minus the promo type on the film.

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
I was never REALLY into reading comics, but I really enjoyed Captain America. Sad to see him go. I wonder if it's for good?