capoeira demo turns into a fight

JadecloudAlchemist

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Great slam and great break fall by the guy being slammed.

It looks like they train in BJJ too?

Towards the end it looks like they forgot all about the Capoeira and went into ground and pound. Cool video.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
lessons learned, hopefully. If not by them, maybe by us.
Yes agreed, ridiculous... it was an accident clearly. But it looked like two different schools coming together for the demo and thus the need to "not let them get away with it" ego rescue.
Wonders if they had not tossed their primary out the window how it would've turned out, the actual fight. Why did they toss it?

Hate shaky cameras... probably lost a few more good moves in there somewhere.

Wonder what the outcome was, meaning the students and instructors and the repercussions of that breakdown?

Sandstorm

Green Belt
Reaction score
Ah, yes. I believe that is an excerpt from a film called 'Never Back Down'. Not seen the film but I've seen that clip many times before.

David Weatherly

Black Belt
Reaction score
Great slam and great break fall by the guy being slammed.

It looks like they train in BJJ too?

Towards the end it looks like they forgot all about the Capoeira and went into ground and pound. Cool video.

A lot of Capoeira groups also train BJJ. I looked on their website but there's not any indication that they train both.

Either way the video is quite educational.

kaizasosei

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Anytime one person pushes it a tad too far, chances are the partner reciprocates leading to a sudden escalation of violence.

David Weatherly

Black Belt
Reaction score
Amazed the guy remained conscious given the angle of drop and the hardwood surface with no mats. That was a VERY inexpensive lesson.

I was thinking the same thing. He easily could have landed on his head with that throw and the results would have been much more serious. Still, I'm sure he wasn't feeling too good after that landing.

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
All I could think of was, this is the MA analogue of a 'demo' involving two charm schools that winds up with horrible insults, built up mostly of four letter words, flying back and forth between the two groups... bizarre, but hysterically funny at the same time, if you're in a certain kind of mood.

OP
jarrod

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
kind of bummed me out when i saw it, because i take sort of a hippy-ish view of capoeira. but it was very instructive.

1) a good throw doesn't always end a fight,

2) if you end up on the ground you will not automatically be stomped by your opponent's friends (esp if you have friends there),

3) violence usually results in people acting like a bunch of idiots.

jf

Hagakure

Blue Belt
Reaction score
To be fair to these guys, I've heard of senior JJJ guys at my old club, going for each other in a free sparring sesssion because one had accidentally clipped the other, and they weren't even at "rival" schools. They had to be separated.

I've never encountered a flash of anger myself through sparring, although, I suspect it would be useful. In other words, you're in a similar situ to the guys in this video, what do you do? Do you start windmilling and everything you've been taught goes out the window, or does your MA kick in? Does the element of anger mean you forget your training? I dunno...

Latest Discussions