Can't do consecutive techniques.

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
So, I'm in class this evening and I've come to a disheartening realization. While I an making slow progress. While I'm lost only 75% of the time (as opposed to 100% a couple of months ago). I've found that if I am able to execute a technique well, then that garauntees that the next technique...particualrly if it is an attempt at the same technique will be utter and total garbage. :) Not sure whyt that is, but man is it annoying.

Just had to throw that out there and vent. Anybody else suffer from this particular affliction?

Peace,
Erik

Nomad

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Take heart! Many of us went through these periods at various times in our training, though most of us had egos too big to realize that we looked that bad at the time.

Since you've noted this problem, now is a good time to start working on it by tackling the problem head on. It's probably best to work technique first, then add in power and speed as the technique improves and becomes more consistent.

eric_in_texas

White Belt
Reaction score
I'm the same way buddy. Last night was the first night in 3 months that I actually feel like I did a good job in class.

OP
B

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm generally focusing on technique as opposed to power. I'll capture the feel of a technqiue....but when I go to do it a second time, something won't happen. Never the same mistake twice I might add. It's like if I get the foot work correct, my angle is wrong, I get the angle, but my body structure is crud....you get the picture. No doub tthis will get better in time.....just had to vent a little.

Peace,
Erik

Hudson69

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I understand and can relate. I have found that sometimes it will be months after having worked on a technique, that after not working it for a while, that my mind and body have figure out the flow and when I want to roll through it I can do so much better than I could when actively practicing it.

...........I think my sub-conscious mind works the bugs out of techniques that I try and try but cannot seem to pick-up.

ginny

White Belt
Reaction score
we all go through that.

hatsumi said - "keep going"

b

sfs982000

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I feel your pain. Have had so much time off between training, I know find myself really having to break my material and techniques down and even then find myself messing them up. I figure I'll just keep putting my best foot forward and hop I don't fall on my face :)

ElfTengu

Blue Belt
Reaction score
This is one of the limitations of taijutsu which causes the comparative novice problems, because we tend to have short 5-second or one/two technique kata, rather than long complicated forms as in other traditional Japanese, Korean and Chines arts.

Long forms are good for teaching how one technique flows seamlessly into the next, but because the likelihood of the same 15 attacks in the form happening in a real fight is 0%, it can make training unrealistic, dancelike and difficult to break down and practice in its component parts.

It can help to do kata such as kihon happo under pressure so that you have no time to recover from each part of the kata before the next one comes, or vary the attacks and see what happens.

Slow randori where you take it in turns to attack and respond/counter continously for several minutes is a good place to start and buld up from there.

Being able to link a large number of movements together smoothly, even if they aren't great, will serve you better in a real fight than being able to do a few techniques perfectly but without being able to link them together or being hesitant and leaving yourself open.

stephen

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Being able to link a large number of movements together smoothly, even if they aren't great, will serve you better in a real fight than being able to do a few techniques perfectly but without being able to link them together or being hesitant and leaving yourself open.

Something like this perhaps?

We replace static, repetitive imitation of techniques with a direct connection to the ebb and flow of martial principles that are in constant flux. This focus results in efficient and contextual understanding of the art's intent - survival - and fosters the continuous creative adaptability necessary for students to claim ownership of their training to 'be good today' instead of always training 'to become good.'
Hmmm....

I wonder where one could have a training experience like that? Hmmm...

http://sgtidojo.blogspot.com/2009/09/james-morganelli-in-london-england.html

Perhaps..... :)

HA!

ElfTengu

Blue Belt
Reaction score

stephen

Purple Belt
Reaction score

Latest Discussions