Can't decide which one to pick..

Owned

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi there MT community ! :)

I came here once with an issue, and just because I got some great advices, I instantly came here again,
because I have another "little" issue, and I'll be glad to get some help from people like you..

I have trained for almost 2 years in Krav Maga, and I stopped because of an injury. Before I started to
train in Krav Maga, I was looking for 2 specific styles of Kung Fu - Wing Chun and Shaolin, that I can
train next to my living area. I couldn't find any, so I started to train in Krav Maga.

2 Weeks ago, I found a place that teaches Wing Chun. I was excited, and went to a free lesson.
I have to say.. it was exactly as I imagined it; fast art, powerful and accurate, that can take down
anyone in seconds. However, I could "easily" find some cons -
** The teacher know a-lot in martial arts, but teaches not very well.. not that serious.
** The price per month is expensive, unlike othe martial arts around.
** The place doesn't really close to my living area, and it takes time to get there.

I was very disappointed and I had to give up, because of those cons.

However,
I found another place; close to my living area, there's a great teacher and the price per month
doesn't really expensive, but - it teaches Shaolin. Why I said "but"? because after a free lesson there
(and some info I found online about Shaolin), I understood that it's different from Wing Chun.. in many
ways -
** As I understood, it takes a-lot more time to "control" Shaolin, unlike Wing Chun.
** Wing Chun focuses on almost 100% technique, while Shaolin focuses on acrobatics, fitness,
fight in ground, and less in technique - (
at least from what I saw while I was there).

And beacuse of this, I don't know what to do..
- I don't want to get back to Krav Maga. Despite my teacher is awesome and known, and that
martial is great for self defense, it's not what I'm looking for.
- I'm looking for a martial art, which I can "control" in a short period of time (at least basically).
A martial art that will focus on 100% technique, and won't "waste the time" on other things, which
I can train my self at home (like abrocatics and fitness).

What would you suggest me to do? train in Shaolin anyway? Looking for another martial art?
Something that looks like WIng Cun?

Sorry for that long post, it was important for me to make sure everything clear :sorry:

Langenschwert

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
It never hurts to try it out for a while. If you find yourself not wanting to go, that will be your answer. I don't know anything about CMA.

If you want a martial art that you can get a handle of in a reasonably short amount of time, take up boxing. Few things will give you more bang for your buck than boxing.

Koshiki

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Shaolin Kung fu is a really broad term, although it sounds like you've probably discovered someone teaching something similar to the very impressive, very acrobatic stuff that we frequently see performers do.

I know little on the subject, but I would guess that you are much more likely to find a legitimate Win Chun school then a school just teaching "Shaolin Kung Fu."

It also sounds like the direct combat applications of Win Chun are more what you're looking for. If your two choices are the Win Chun school or the "Shaolin" school, I would choose the Win Chun school.

However, you said that the quality of their instruction is poor, so maybe looking for a third option might be a smart choice.

Without more information about the schools and your goals, I imagine it will be hard to get very clear answers from the people here. Good luck, though!

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
** The teacher know a-lot in martial arts, but teaches not very well.. not that serious.
** The price per month is expensive, unlike othe martial arts around.
** The place doesn't really close to my living area, and it takes time to get there.
Is the instructor a bad instructor or is it that the instruction is relaxed, light hearted, and fun rather than ridged and serious? Most wc training I have has always been relaxed and fun. We played but the training serious minded. We worked hard but relaxed and had fun.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Do the acrobatics. A good grounding in acro and fitness is generally harder to get and will progress you further.

Koshiki

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Do the acrobatics. A good grounding in acro and fitness is generally harder to get and will progress you further.

In some respects I agree with you, except that (s)he seems to be interested in avoiding said acrobatics...

A martial art that will focus on 100% technique, and won't "waste the time" on other things, which
I can train my self at home (like abrocatics and fitness).

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
In some respects I agree with you, except that (s)he seems to be interested in avoiding said acrobatics...

Gotcha.

Acrobatics and fitness is a skill. You can train it at home but you will do a terrible job of it.

I am doing a seminar today learning how to exercise. Which as I have mentioned is pretty hard to find generally.

And there are far more opportunitys in life to do backflips than chain punches.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
And there are far more opportunitys in life to do backflips than chain punches.

Hows that? I can't see doing either all that often. Backflips for fun at the pool? But if you are interested in self defense or tenderizing meat?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hows that? I can't see doing either all that often. Backflips for fun at the pool? But if you are interested in self defense or tenderizing meat?

Man seriously.

(Goes out meets hot girl.)
"So what do you like to do?
" wushu"
"Really what is that like?"
(Rips off some mad acrobatics)
"Well I guess I don't need these panties any more"

you are not getting that with chain punches.

But more importantly learning good acrobatics requires you to learn how to be physical. Which means whatever martial art you do you will be better at it than someone who does not know how to be physical.

We had a gymnast in recently. And he just physically destroys people.

Last edited:

Latest Discussions