DaveB

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
So, this one is all about kicking.

Can you kick?
Do you kick?
Do you high kick?
What's your favourite kick?
How do you blend your kicks with other tools or tactics?
Can you kick in close range?
When should you kick?
Can you fight with only kicks?

Discuss...

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Can you kick?
Do you kick?
Do you high kick?
When should you kick?

Discuss...
any one can kick, unless they only have one leg
yes I kick
no embarrassingly low.
round house

if I kick them and they don't fall over, I punch them
yes
you should only kick when your in range
if your first kick is good enough then yes

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Can you kick?
Not any more, no. At least not what I consider kicking. Up until the turn of the century, though, I was a world class kicker. I know I'm just a faceless name online, but I could, and did, kick with the best of them. I was taught by the best of them, and if you couldn't keep up, you were in for one very long day and one very short career.

Do you kick?
Very little now.

Do you high kick?
I could kick anyone in the head, from any distance, even standing side by side with the sides of our feet touching. And there wasn't one damn thing you could do about it. Haven't thrown a high kick in well over a year now, though, and probably won't. Health issues take their toll.

Front leg side kick. Offensively, defensively, hopping, sliding, fall away, any way you want to get hit, I'll oblige. It's my baby. Always has been.

They're like verbs and nouns, spaghetti and meatballs, p and j.

In my opinion, if you can't kick in close range you have not yet developed your kicking skills. Although I don't kick hardly at all any more, I can still hit you with a 360 back kick from within jab range.

When should you kick?
Not sure I understand that question.

Well, yeah, but why would you?

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

Can you kick?
Yes.
Do you kick?
Yes.
Do you high kick?
Yes, but with the feet mostly (not shin).
Leg Kick(s).
Feint kicks and then punch. Or feint punches and then kick. Essentially is this.
Yes, punch distance or even 'grappling distance' if stand up.
When should you kick?
When there is an opportunity to connect, or when it can be used for deception.
Not easy for me.

Last edited:

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Can you kick?

Not as well as I'd like, but well enough to be dangerous.

Do you kick?

Aye.

Do you high kick?

High is relative. I can front snap kick as high as my own chin, roughly. But I'm not very tall.

Our style doesn't emphasize high kicks. Typically nothing above the obi in our kihon or kata.

I can, however, kick low and then kick was used to be high, like a head, once it's down around waist level to me.

The ones that land.

Ancient Okinawan secret. I could tell you, but...

As long as I still have knees, sure.

When should you kick?

When the opportunity presents itself.

Billy Jack did. I don't. I like to use the appropriate tool for the job at hand. Or, er, foot.

Discuss...

I see kicking as a set of tools that extend capabilities. They bring with them a set of advantages and a set of disadvantages, and therefore should be used, like any tool, when the situation calls for them. The legs are longer than the arms, the leg muscles have heavier musculature than the arms, and at least in America, kicking is typically not expected in a self-defense situation, unless it's the goal shot to the wedding tackle. However, kicks require the use of at least one leg, and we bipedal hominids tend not to do well when we deprive ourselves of half of our source of balance. A trapped punch is not good, but a trapped kick is significantly worse.

Ultimately, every surface of the human body can be used to advantage in a self-defense situation, and therefore should be trained in case it becomes necessary. Punches and kicks of course, but also knees, elbows, shoulders, hips, and head. Every plane of the bludgeoning tools we possess, including the edges of the feet, heel, toes, ball of the foot, the various striking surfaces of the hand and wrist, and so on. There's good stuff in there everywhere, and the key is to recognize when and where each is most appropriate and to train assiduously using those tools.

Of course, people develop personal preferences over time, combinations and methods that work well for them, which they like and can put their trust in, and which may be their 'go to' tools in just about any situation. I've often felt that the left overhead block and right straight punch cover about 90% of the likely attacks an American male is likely to experience, since most attackers are male and right-handed. However, once an incoming haymaker is dealt with by whatever means, the counter is an overflowing gravy boat open to individual and artistic expression. Step in, step out, bridge with a kick or a leg sweep, hip check and throw, step around and throw, adams apple punch with the web of the hand, lower uppercut to the floating ribs, attack the attacking arm's tricep or destroy the elbow joint with a reverse wrap, my gosh, it's just fun, fun, fun.

Personally, once I stop the incoming right haymaker, I like to step on the lead foot, watch for that moment of horror when they realize they can't quickly pull back, and then play some sweet chin music, usually coupled with my best rendition of an evil laugh.

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Can you kick? i like to think so
Do you kick? occasionally
Do you high kick? relatively easily yet even easier to pull your opponent into your kick
What's your favourite kick? i like to keep things simple. front kick. straight to the point
How do you blend your kicks with other tools or tactics? i like to add kicks when my opponent least expects it
Can you kick in close range? sure. that or use the knee.
When should you kick? whenever its useful
Can you fight with only kicks? possible. but id rather use my hands.

kicks can be a funny thing. always keep your guard up. i remember one time a couple years ago. i was sparring against one of the fellow students and i was confident it was a low round house kick. so im thinking block low. guess what? nope. its a high kick and wack! straight to the mouth. thank goodness i had my mouth guard.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
For the risk level,

- Punch has lower risk than kick.
- Low kick has lower risk than high kick.

When your opponent catches your kicking leg, you will be down. The striking game will end right there and the ground game will start.

IMO, the foot sweep, low round house kick, shin kick, and knee stomp are the safest kick to use.

Flatfish

Black Belt
Reaction score
Yes I kick.....very proud to say I can kick high enough to put unruly toddlers in their place :joyful:

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
I love kicks, my favorite kick is the roundhouse kick, I love throwing it at the ribs or the back/sides of the thigh. I follow up my kicks with a ton of punches, I also use my kicks to chase down people who back away out of my fists range. I can kick very high I am possibly the highest kicker in the dojo, I throw my kicks in close range but only at angles, such as high and low, other wise they won't connect properly at that close in.

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score

Can you kick?
Do you kick?
Do you high kick?
When should you kick?

Discuss...
I don't kick as high as I used to, but height is not the criterion. Kicking correctly is what is important. My favorite kick is the spin crescent or the spin hook kick.

As far as fighting only with kicks - no. Hands are gonna be involved, even if it's only for a setup.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score

Can you kick?
Do you kick?
Do you high kick?
When should you kick?

Discuss...
Naw, bad knees. I have good mt low kicks, and can throw the 3 WC low kicks well, but I tend not to anymore. I never was fond of kicks above the waist.(giving or receiving!)

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Can you kick?
Do you kick?
Do you high kick?
When should you kick?

Discuss...
Yes.
Yes, but not often - mostly as a finish, or for controlling distance.
In practice against a bag, rarely in application (sparring, or self-defense practice).
Round kick to the thigh.
Kicks slip into some gaps where hand strikes won't reach, or when my hands are occupied controlling the opponent. Knees are a close-range version of the latter.
If knees count as "kicking", then yes. Otherwise, mostly no - by my definition of "close range" - though there are some exceptions (e.g., low kicks to the back of the knee).
That depends on how good you are at kicking. I should kick a lot less than my brother (BB in TKD).
I'd get my *** handed to me if I fought with only kicks.