Can we call MMA a style?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Learning to walk again through karate | Gisoku Budo - musings of an amputee martial artist

Losing a leg is no bar to martial arts expert Damon

Prosthetics company helps amputees find better fit

One-Legged Fighter Makes Martial Arts History

We currently have a ParaOlympic athlete competing in Strictly Come Dancing and it's impossible to tell he has a prosthetic leg when he's wearing trousers, his dancing is extremely good. It doesn't take any imagination to think he would also do well in martial arts.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
While he's doing that, it's one of those wrong situations I'm talking about. They have their place, and are useful there. I prefer not to stand in range and tie up my second hand in most situations. I don't really like getting punched in the face. Most standing locks I know should be used with a bit of an "arm drag" element, too, to gain more control.

Yeah but if we were saying self defence. Locks may not be optimally geared towards success. Low percentage and you need some pretty specific curcumstances for them to be the best response.

Now this goes to the origional premis of what is a martial art. If it is not geared towards self defence it is not one aparently.

DaveB

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
This is a point I brought up some time ago, Dave. People do go to MMA gyms and train MMA. Not all gyms see it that way - some still have classes/sessions in individual background styles, which they then combine. In that case, it's still the component arts, IMO. But some go in and train in "stand up fighting" and "ground fighting" (sometimes not even separate tracks - just which you work on that day), each of those being a component of the overall strategy and tactics they train for the competition. They are, in fact, training a style that some (maybe all) of them refer to as MMA. It is a mixture of martial arts, so the name even still works. So, just like there are Karate tournaments (sport), one can also train in Karate (martial art) - the same is true of MMA now.

Fair enough.

Someone earlier mentioned that this training is sometimes steered towards self defence and supplemented with extra-sport skills. Combining those facts it seems MMA has indeed transitioned into martial art.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Learning to walk again through karate | Gisoku Budo - musings of an amputee martial artist

Losing a leg is no bar to martial arts expert Damon

Prosthetics company helps amputees find better fit

One-Legged Fighter Makes Martial Arts History

We currently have a ParaOlympic athlete competing in Strictly Come Dancing and it's impossible to tell he has a prosthetic leg when he's wearing trousers, his dancing is extremely good. It doesn't take any imagination to think he would also do well in martial arts.

but he is not one legged is he, he is one footed, he still has MOST of his right leg,

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah but if we were saying self defence. Locks may not be optimally geared towards success. Low percentage and you need some pretty specific curcumstances for them to be the best response.

Now this goes to the origional premis of what is a martial art. If it is not geared towards self defence it is not one aparently.
I guess it depends how you look at them. Some locks (arm locks behind the body) are pretty reliable once the hand passes the hip. If the hand isn't there, there's no reason to try for them unless you need to get to a restraining position (LEO would be a good example), then you can use good technique to force the arm back there. Standing arm bars are, IMO, opportunistic. If you know the basic principle, they can happen in a lot of situations, but they aren't generally something you go chasing. Wrist locks, IMO, are entirely opportunistic except for restraint situations. I wouldn't teach them in a 1-year course, except so people could protect against them (they're easy to counter if you feel them coming), but in a longer term approach (which MA generally take), they are worth the time. Finger locks are really easy to execute when a finger comes handy, so they are definitely worth the time.

DaveB

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
but why? in any sort of combat, I'm never going to pass up a chance to smash someone's knee in order to, to spend 3seconds getting them in a wrist lock that's if i can even pull the lock off, put them down, fast and then deal with anything else that arises, giving up a high % move for a low % move, that still leaves me vulrable to a,second attacker is folly

But locking in karate is really to make sure your strike lands. If the opponent isn't controlled in some way then your just rolling dice when you throw.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
But locking in karate is really to make sure your strike lands. If the opponent isn't controlled in some way then your just rolling dice when you throw.
if you can put a lock on, you already got. Hold of the arm,, how much more control do you need.

it may be rolling dice, but they are loads dice

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
but he is not one legged is he, he is one footed, he still has MOST of his right leg,

th

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
what %of his right leg has he lost, the cut is clearly below the knee, so he,still has most of his leg and isn't as you claim one legged

Oh well that's alright then isn't it. :rolleyes: hardly worth calling him disabled at all is it. Gosh he has nothing to complain about at all. You know, you really are a banker.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Oh well that's alright then isn't it. :rolleyes: hardly worth calling him disabled at all is it. Gosh he has nothing to complain about at all. You know, you really are a banker.
you said he had only one leg, and that's clearly wrong, I've no idea what the other emotional tosh is about,

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you said he had only one leg, and that's clearly wrong, I've no idea what the other emotional tosh is about,

Emotional? After struggling to read your posts because of the spelling and grammatical errors as well as the odd rambling (we assume you are dyslexic so no one has said anything, of course you could be pished and writing on a phone) I wonder if being unable to understand sarcasm holds you back much? Do you often have problems with discerning what people are saying? Are you on the autistic spectrum? If you are we can treat your posts with more understanding and just thinking you post deliberately nasty stuff.

Seriously, if you can't help it we can be more understanding.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
Emotional? After struggling to read your posts because of the spelling and grammatical errors as well as the odd rambling (we assume you are dyslexic so no one has said anything, of course you could be pished and writing on a phone) I wonder if being unable to understand sarcasm holds you back much? Do you often have problems with discerning what people are saying? Are you on the autistic spectrum? If you are we can treat your posts with more understanding and just thinking you post deliberately nasty stuff.

Seriously, if you can't help it we can be more understanding.
Is that the royal we or do you have a mouse in your pocket? I have no problem understanding him, and you do have pretty thin skin...

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Not really.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is that the royal we or do you have a mouse in your pocket? I have no problem understanding him, and you do have pretty thin skin...

No, I have a great line in sarcasm which obviously is hard for some to understand. You should also understand that if I post that the sky is blue jobo will argue and say it's pink, he's that sort of guy.
As for the 'we' a lot of us talk outside the site. :D

This is just for you, so you don't get all emotional about my posts.

16174434_241226403000490_7064087146470909008_n.jpg

Latest Discussions