Can this be my cardio?

Zombocalypse

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Multiple sets of very high rep squats.

Same with weighted back extensions.

Same with pull ups (but done from the floor, horizontally, heels resting on the ground. Basically, reverse of push ups)

Same with push ups.

Some more high rep endurance-based stuff to address un-targeted body parts from the above list.

I’ve actually done this before with good results. But do you think it’s marathon-y enough for Judo? I’m hoping I won’t have to do some kind of ten-k running training.

I can figure out a way to schedule this in my weekly gym training.

Thanks very much. Please try your best not to be mean to me. I just came out of some brutal bodybuilding forum who mocked me for having a less than 400 pound bench press. Apparently that’s what it takes for anyone there to gain their “respect”. It was heartbreaking.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think our guys do 5 k runs but fast.

It should save you a bit of time.

MetalBoar

Black Belt
Reaction score
Multiple sets of very high rep squats.

Same with weighted back extensions.

Same with pull ups (but done from the floor, horizontally, heels resting on the ground. Basically, reverse of push ups)

Same with push ups.

Some more high rep endurance-based stuff to address un-targeted body parts from the above list.

I’ve actually done this before with good results. But do you think it’s marathon-y enough for Judo? I’m hoping I won’t have to do some kind of ten-k running training.

I can figure out a way to schedule this in my weekly gym training.

Thanks very much. Please try your best not to be mean to me. I just came out of some brutal bodybuilding forum who mocked me for having a less than 400 pound bench press. Apparently that’s what it takes for anyone there to gain their “respect”. It was heartbreaking.
I'm going to do a write up on the topic tomorrow if I have time, but the short answer is no, you don't have to run to get the results you're looking for. Running is cheap and it's a cheap and easy way to get a groups of people in reasonable shape, so it's popular for both individuals and organizations like MA schools and the world's militaries. Contrary to what running fanatics will tell you there's nothing special or necessary about it and there are a lot better ways to improve your endurance for something like Judo. There aren't many better ways to improve your endurance for running, but it doesn't sound like you care about that.

OP
Zombocalypse

Zombocalypse

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I'm going to do a write up on the topic tomorrow if I have time, but the short answer is no, you don't have to run to get the results you're looking for. Running is cheap and it's a cheap and easy way to get a groups of people in reasonable shape, so it's popular for both individuals and organizations like MA schools and the world's militaries. Contrary to what running fanatics will tell you there's nothing special or necessary about it and there are a lot better ways to improve your endurance for something like Judo. There aren't many better ways to improve your endurance for running, but it doesn't sound like you care about that.

Please take the time to write when you have the time. I’ll be here.

michaelbiancardi

White Belt
Reaction score
If you want to improve your cardio, you need to do cardio. The exercise regimen you described doesn't feature much cardio. Exercises like squats, push-ups, and pull-ups strengthen your muscles. They break down your muscles so they can rebuild stronger. Even with high-rep exercises, you'll mostly see benefits in muscular endurance, not cardiovascular endurance. If you're not getting really winded and out of breath, you're not working your cardio. If you're not moving for an extended period of time, you're probably not working much cardio.

As a start, consider mixing in jumping jacks, mountain climbers, bear crawls, and other such exercises. If you want more dedicated cardio, consider running, biking, or swimming. You seem apprehensive about running, so I'll point out you don't have to run, and you certainly don't have to train for a 10K. You can improve cardio in other ways; biking and swimming are much easier on the knees, for instance.

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
If, by cardio, you mean exercises for heart health, here's the juice from Johns Hopkins:

“Aerobic exercise and resistance training are the most important for heart health,” says Johns Hopkins exercise physiologist Kerry J. Stewart, Ed.D.
They go on to state that flexibility allows you to maintain those two.

So it looks like you're doing half the package with resistance only. If you have knee trouble, then go on the cycle, or the rowing machine, which is killer. Or swim. But if you want endurance, do endurance activities.

Latest Discussions