Can Red Dawn be saved...

OP
B

billc

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some thoughts on Red Dawn...

http://hotair.com/archives/2012/08/...-prepare-for-the-great-north-korean-invasion/

Want me to watch a pseudo-realistic war film in which mainland America is invaded by a country that subsists mainly on grass? Nope. Not happening, or at least not without great difficulty. This flick reminds me of the “uncanny valley” in robotics: People can cope just fine with robots that are very lifelike or not lifelike at all, but they recoil at robots that are kind of lifelike. This film is kind of lifelike. You could buy it if the invading army hailed from a great power — the original “Red Dawn” worked fine with the Soviets, and this one probably would have flown with China in the villain role — but these people? As a rule of thumb, if we’re going to imagine an enemy abroad overwhelming U.S. air defenses and landing tens of thousands of paratroopers, that enemy should be capable of keeping a long-range missile in the air for more than, say, 45 seconds. Basic concessions to reality here, guys — that’s all I ask.

The trailer looks good up to the point you realize the bad guys are supposed to be North Koreans...

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
Can Red Dawn be saved? Saved from what? From you? You haven't even seen the movie and are crying doom and gloom, no wonder you love those alarmist almost-news web sites.

It's an action movie, and North Korea is no more ridiculous than Russia in the first one. Gotta kill somebody in an action movie.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, North Korea is a serious threat to the United States. :rofl:

Wait... you think the idea of an military invasion of the US is credible, regardless of who the purported invader is?

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes, North Korea is a serious threat to the United States. :rofl:

He must have not seen the first one with the Russians. Or know anything about the layout of the USA. There will be no war faught on our soil from an outside invader unless they invent teleportation and drop a couple million troops in the middle of the country. Russia and Korea are both equally ridiculous. But it's an action movie.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
A better question would be, why in the hell is Hollywood out of original ideas? Two Hulk movies in ten years, a new Spiderman, new Star Trek, new Total Recall, billions of dollars in the entertainment industry and all we get is warmed over crap?!

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thanks Omar, you just jinxed us...

Yeah, sure kid. When you learn a bit about military tactics and what it takes to move any great number of troops you'll understand.

Ever read The Hunt For Red October? That was the 80's and we noticed 1 Russian sub missing and them massing in their own waters.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
He must have not seen the first one with the Russians. Or know anything about the layout of the USA. There will be no war faught on our soil from an outside invader unless they invent teleportation and drop a couple million troops in the middle of the country. Russia and Korea are both equally ridiculous. But it's an action movie.

There were Japanese troops in Alaska for a whole year during WWII.

You're probably right-until the fall of the Soviet Union, we only had the vaguest of ideas of how much military superiority we actually had,and it turned out to be an awful lot-likewise, we know we have quite an edge on the Chinese- but I wouldn't rule anything out.

North Korea, though? It is to laugh.....:lfao:

Takai

Senior Master
Reaction score
The trailer for Red Dawn is out. It looks good, nicely Pro-American. However, can they get past the silliness of North Korea invading the United States? I tried to find the trailer on youtube, but I had to post it from here...

http://screenrant.com/red-dawn-trailer-2012/

You realize when this incarnation was filmed it was actually China that was invading? All of the North Korean imagery was digitally added. It seems China owns a large portion of the production company an was none to pleases about the original film.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Can Red Dawn be saved? Saved from what? From you? You haven't even seen the movie and are crying doom and gloom, no wonder you love those alarmist almost-news web sites.

It's an action movie, and North Korea is no more ridiculous than Russia in the first one. Gotta kill somebody in an action movie.

Minor note: In the mid 80s, the idea of the Soviets and Cuba or other Latin American Communist countries conspiring to invade the US was quite plausible. Just as it's hard for those of us who didn't live through WWII or The Great Depression to understand some of the things that went on -- or those who didn't really grow up in the pre-9/11 world to get some of it, it's hard to realize how deeply entrenched the Cold War was in our psyche.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Minor note: In the mid 80s, the idea of the Soviets and Cuba or other Latin American Communist countries conspiring to invade the US was quite plausible. Just as it's hard for those of us who didn't live through WWII or The Great Depression to understand some of the things that went on -- or those who didn't really grow up in the pre-9/11 world to get some of it, it's hard to realize how deeply entrenched the Cold War was in our psyche.

I was never concerned with an invasion, I just assumed we were all going to die in a hail of nukes.

What a lovely adolescence.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I was never concerned with an invasion, I just assumed we were all going to die in a hail of nukes.

What a lovely adolescence.

Yeah, nothing like knowing that, depending on the wind direction, you had a choice of dying immediately, or dying slowly... And that's without thinking about the Nike missiles firing back and what they might do to the neighborhood.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

well, as Euro Trash, for us the thread was more real - besides being clobbered by 2 sets of nukes....

But seriously...how could you explain a bunch of Russians suddenly appear in a Mid Western town without warning?! You know they would have taken a wrong turn in Albuquerque.....

OP
B

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah, I know China was the original bad guy in the movie. At least they could say they have numbers and given time maybe they could get closer to being on par technologically with the U.S. It looks like they are going with the E.M.P. strike that precedes an invasion, or perhaps it is some hacking program that disables stuff over here. Still, North Korea is a little to big a reach.

Takai

Senior Master
Reaction score
But seriously...how could you explain a bunch of Russians suddenly appear in a Mid Western town without warning?! You know they would have taken a wrong turn in Albuquerque.....

That's what they get for asking a rabbit for directions.