Can participation in Internet Forums help someone grow as a Martial Artist?

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
upnorthkyosa said:
Can participation in internet forums help someone grow as a martial artist? If so, how? If not, why?

IMHO, I think that the forums are a great resource. I've had the chance to learn quite a bit from many of the members here. A few of the people have become great friends, whom I talk with on a regular basis. There are a few that are in my area, that at some point, I also plan on getting together with for a workout.

One problem though, is that the forums tend to draw people who make false claims and are here to cause trouble rather than contribute in a positive fashion.

Aside from that, again, I'll say that they can be a great source of info.

Mike

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Fluffy said:
That's it. Networking is very immportant - also they remind me that TKD isn't the only MA out there.

I'll piggy back on Fluffy's thought & add how great a resource that networking can be. Before the net, we'd read a magazine about a "great seminar" & pay $$ & take our chances. Now I can just ask if anyone has been to a Wally Jay or Bill Wallace seminiar & get loads of valueable thoughts on them. Other folk's experiences can be very valueable.

KOROHO

Green Belt
Reaction score
It can be both helpful and harmful.
One may be able to get in touch with, and get ideas from, people they would otherwise never meet. Some may be senior to thier teacher in experience if not rank and even have experiences that thier teacher never had. There are others who read just about everything, go to seminars and experience all sorts of arts, and are a wealth of reliable and useful information. From these people you can gain a lot of insight, get training tips, learn about history, etc.

On the flip side, you are also very likely to run into people who have no idea what they are talking about, but they write elequent posts and thier reputation points are off the charts. So it is easy for people, especially beginners to be misled by these people. That happens often on this board.

Sadly, you can look at the example of ******. I have people tell me all the time that if you want to know who the fakes are, ask on ******. But I happen to know there are several mods over there, and atleast one other "highly regarded" swordsman, are some of the biggest fakes on the net. So people putting thier trust there are misled all the time. Some of them cross-post here too.

There is one very seriously misinformed person here who went to ****** and commented on something that I said here - questioning what i have been taught. Again, because this person has been able to pass himself off as an expert, people will believe his falsified history of his art and continue to pass it on to others as truth.

I'm sure there are others here who people also put a lot of faith in what they say. No one knows them or verified thier training and yet take all they say as gospel.

So it's a 2 edged sword. You really need to do independent research, get to know who's who in the world. If there is someone on the board who's posts you enjoy - before you start believing them, check them out. Not on the board, or God forbid on ******, but find out thier affilaitions and lineage and check it all out. If they check out, then you can safely believe what they say. If you find out that they're not what they claim, then you can disregard what they say.

There was one case, on another group, where this one person really dominates things. People there just think this guys some kind o fmartial arts guru. If I were to criticize this person on that board, or tell people there to forget him, I would be lambasted by all. But this person sent me a video to sell for him on my web site. I was eating while I was watching it and laughed so hard I nearly choked. It ws just silly. But on some boards, this person is a highly respected person.

You just have to be careful.

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well...considering all things are interrelated...I would have to say yes. Just like me sitting on my computer eating cold popcorn for breakfast and drinking a diet pepsi I stole from my mom makes me a better martial artist (lol).

Kenpojujitsu3

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
upnorthkyosa said:
Can participation in internet forums help someone grow as a martial artist? If so, how? If not, why?

Any exchange and/or communication of information/ideas/concepts/principles/techniques/etc. will help someone grow. Therefore the answer is yes.

jgrimm01

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Plus all the typing really helps out with my fingertip pushup regimen. :ultracool

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes..You can ask all the questions that you'd feel stupid asking in the Dojo, Dojang, etc...etc..Plus it can help bolster your spirits when your feeling down about training..

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
upnorthkyosa said:

I think that this depends on how the individual behaves and treats the forums.

For me, I like to read because it gives me an idea of where other peoples point of views are, even when I often disagree. Sometimes I do run into things I am unfamiliar with and I get to learn about that as well.

By writing, I am able to hash out ideas sometimes in the written form, and I am also able to "test" ideas in that by presenting them in a public format, I get feedback. I know that my take on things are often different then others, so I work on being able to present my point of view in a way that doesn't alienate other people who's opinions differ from mine.

I think that if a forum isn't helping you grow, then you shouldn't be there, as it is a waste of time otherwise. Also, many people use the forums to bring negative agenda's or to involve themselves in internet social clubs. The negative ****, the turmoil, the drama....those things that people complain about on forums are generally there because they brought it themselves. If I am on a forum and I notice a negative vibe, I don't post. If I am attacked via a forum, I at least attempt to handle it as a strong person should. I don't post in negative environments, and I don't bring negativity with me and therefore have few problems. And Although the internet social club isn't nessicarily harmful, I just don't think that either will do very much to help people grow.

So, can a forum help you become a better martial artist? I think that it should, but that depends on you.

Paul

funnytiger

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I'm going to straddle the fence on this one. I agree the forums are a great place for resources as well as networking with people from your art and other arts that you would not normally get the opportunity to do so.

However, (as someone else stated) there is a lot of false information being passed around that people take as gospel. Keyboard tigers start petty fights that spill over to real life (it happens).

Sometimes I find myself slightly disenchanted with the MA community based on some of the over-whelming narrowminded comments made. (My art is better than yours, Chi is bullsh*t, etc...)

This is all of course based on my experiences on the net with MA boards. Someone else mentioned that not every board is as civil as MT and that is the gospel truth if I've ever heard it...

But I would say about 60-70% of it has been beneficial for me.

Drac said:
Yes..You can ask all the questions that you'd feel stupid asking in the Dojo, Dojang, etc...etc..Plus it can help bolster your spirits when your feeling down about training..
Why would you feel stupid asking a question in your school? They (your MA brothers and sisters as well as your Teacher) should be there to answer all of your questions. No matter how "stupid" you think it is.

The only stupid question, is the question not asked.

- ft

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
One of the things that I really like about the concept of forums for martial arts is that it get people to start thinking outside of their fishbowls. When you are in your fishbowl, often things that make sense don't make sense in reality. Revealing this can be a difficult process and it can really open your eyes.

And it can also lead to negativity...which is why I feel that the atmosphere at MT is so great. We discuss these things in a civil manner so that it doesn't immediately put people on the defensive. Things can still get heated, but in the end, I think that the atmosphere here will encourage people to use the information presented.

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
upnorthkyosa said:
And it can also lead to negativity...which is why I feel that the atmosphere at MT is so great. We discuss these things in a civil manner so that it doesn't immediately put people on the defensive. Things can still get heated, but in the end, I think that the atmosphere here will encourage people to use the information presented.

This is a good point that I have to agree with. As a professional, I try to shy away from forums that aren't condusive of productive discussions...

Paul

Latest Discussions