Can martial arts help a 59 year old beer gut?

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Exile, I am not an expert, I just know what I was told by my gym trainer and dietician. Yes, if you go past your raccommended heart beat you still burn calories. But what you want to burn is the fat that your body has in storage, not calories. Calories are used by anything in the body, including muscles. If you don't burn only the excessive fat you will go touch (reduce) your muscolar tone as well as the excessive fat.

Charyop---yes, I understand this, you're quite right. But there's another side. I found an interesting thread on an exercise-physiology board a few (i.e., many) years back suggesting that if you do a certain amount of weight training at the same time that you do your aerobic exercise---so do your interval sprints and then do a few heavy sets of some compound exercise---that you can `switch off' the routing of the call for calories that might otherwise target muscle protein. The idea is that the body will call for hypertrophy if it gets sufficiently overextended on weight training demands, regardless of the fact that you're also demanding compensation for calorie expenditure. So that only leaves any residual stored carbs (and of course the brain takes first dibs on these) and fat. I took these results seriously and tried it in the gym: I would do half an hour of hard intervals, followed by ten or fifteen minutes of serious leg presses or bench presses---big compound exercise, the idea was. And even though I'm pretty sure I went consistently into the red zone on my aerobic weights, I never lost any muscle tone at all---just got very cut. I'm restarted that program now, actually. So there's maybe more than one way to skin this particular cat. It's something to experiment with, anyway...

I really hate to monotor my heart rate, is what it comes down to...

charyuop

Black Belt
Reaction score
LOL Exile, that shut my mouth up...to technical for me. You went beyond my knowledge. If it worked for you and the people you have seen in the gym I am sure your reasoning makes sense.
Still, I would pay caution to suggest to a 59 year old man overweight an exercise that might bring his heart rate up to 150/180 if not higher.

Anyway dear sir, exept technicality the main idea is...work out and Martial Arts give for sure a better quality of life :) So pick up the the method you like and try it out...BUT REMEMBER WE ARE NOT DOCTORS NOR WE DO WANT TO SUBSTITUTE YOUR DOCTOR!!!!! A VISIT WITH YOUR DOCTOR BEFORE ANY PHYSICAL ACTIVITY IS A MUST!!!!!

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
LOL Exile, that shut my mouth up...to technical for me. You went beyond my knowledge. If it worked for you and the people you have seen in the gym I am sure your reasoning makes sense.

Hi Charyuop---the basic idea is just that if you demand calorie expenditure of your body and also demand muscle growth, the only way to square the two is for the body to burn fat (and mebbe some stored carbs, but those don't go far)

Still, I would pay caution to suggest to a 59 year old man overweight an exercise that might bring his heart rate up to 150/180 if not higher.

Oh yeah!, absolutely true. Even with a complete green like from the doctor, serious overexertion is an absolute invitation to something really, really unpleasant. Probably underdoing it to start with is the smartest thing.

Anyway dear sir, exept technicality the main idea is...work out and Martial Arts give for sure a better quality of life :) So pick up the the method you like and try it out...BUT REMEMBER WE ARE NOT DOCTORS NOR WE DO WANT TO SUBSTITUTE YOUR DOCTOR!!!!! A VISIT WITH YOUR DOCTOR BEFORE ANY PHYSICAL ACTIVITY IS A MUST!!!!!

Yes, yes and yes. One thing that I would do in this gentleman's situation is to ask my doctor for an ultrasound to screen the abdominal aorta. It could save a lot of grief later on.

If he follows your advice, Charyuop, I think he can look forward to a safe and very productive (and reductive!) physical program that will also have some important self-defense payoffs.

Latest Discussions