Can anyone without training or experience execute effective techniques out of instinct?

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
You don't need an expert to tell you how to throw a punch at least I hope not... Simply being healthy and in good shape does help a lot. Also being smart enough to avoid getting hit helps too. :D

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You don't need an expert to tell you how to throw a punch at least I hope not... Simply being healthy and in good shape does help a lot. Also being smart enough to avoid getting hit helps too. :D
People, well, some people are very good at asimilating, infomation( movement paterns) from watching, so they watch a few boxing matches and they can box, not perhaps to a great standard, but they can box just the same

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm currently reading Kenichi: History's Strongest Disciple and one thing of point shown in the manga is that even among the trained fighter, there are lucky civilians who just out of sheer aggression and lack of hesitation to use violence are able to throw powerful blows that complete resemble proper mechanics for swinging a baseball bat or doing stuff like backfists.

For example Kenichi's sister can dodge the blows of master martial artists enough it shocked Kenichi. In addition there are high school delinquents who just because they are committed enough are able to use effective mechanics as they fight other gang members and even trained martial artists. Such as being able to throw kicks that break ankles or throw proper punches, even doing headlocks and the like just out of instinct. Even Kenichi's mom has been able to knock out his physically fit dad (who's a hunter) fby whacking him from behind with a fying pan (andshe's neither athletic nor a martial artist).

These remind me of two incidents.

First one happened when I was in middle school.My brother was learning some boxing and he got cocky that he tried to take me on when I told him to do his homework. He punched me a few times but instinctively I covered myself and when he threw the next punch I just was able to catch him a headlock and pin him onto the couch.

At this point in time I never practised fighting arts, not even done any sports, I didn't play video games, read comics, or watched anime and movies, well I practically was a lazy person who preferred to just sleep on the couch all day long. I never got into a school fight because I had superb social skills. The only hobby I had was practising rootworking and Biblical studies because I came froma devout Catholic family.

Second incident happened last year. I just got a puppy. I was moving my ottoman one day and I triped, Because my puppy was so hyper active he was running around me the whole time and he was right in front of me when I dropped the ottoman.He was directly standing when the ottoman was falling and I was scared he was gonna get killed and squished like a pancake. At the last moment he jumped out of the way milliseconds before it landed on the ground.

In addition, when we would roughtplay after he grew much bigger,while I'm pinning him to the ground he wound wrap his legs around my arms in what resembles a BJJ style armlock and than start biting my arms. A few times he even jumped on my and used his abdomen to pin me on the ground. A few times he intentionally tackled my legs to escape as I try to use my arms to grab him from above.

So I am curious is it possible to use effective martial arts techniques without any training, experience in fighting, exposure to violence,a and even never practising any sport such as running at all? And being a couch potato who never worked a hard day in the fields or even easier manual labor such as sculpting wood figures?

I mean how I manage to headlock my brother and pin him using the couch simply because I lost it and was panicking still makes me so confused to this day! In addition the way my month old puppy saw the ottoman falling and dodged at the last minute (despite never having been to an obstacle course and just being born a month prior and later donated to a pet store)! THe way he could instinctively use his arms to wrap around me as a BJJ fighter when he roughhouse after he grew bigger also makes me go "WTF!"! As does his knowledge of using his bodyweight in various ways to pin me and his understanding of attacking the human legs at certain angles to escape from me when I bring him in from the backyard!

So thats why I ask this. Kenichi shows untrained civilians who lack fighting experience being able to dodge attacks just out of anticipating and even use "techniques" like a frontal stomp kick and soccer kicks just out of instinct in the spur of the moment. Not to mention even a few peaceful people not interested in gang fights and martial arts losing it and throwing powerful blows just from sheer rage (as a bullied nerd does in the story) or knocking out stronger people using improvised weapons or sneak attacks (like Kenichi's mom does).

There is even a completely untrained fighter, Berserker, who became an outstanding fighter with effective techniques just from sheer experience as he fights in the streets and in addition he can even learn and replicate martial arts techniques just by observing his opponents and makes them among his personal style after beating them!

Is martial arts really necessary to know how to throw someone or to trip them using a sprawl technique (like my dog does)? Is it possible for someone to learn say how to throw a knee simply because he's pinned to the wall despite never taking Muay Thai? Or for a preppy chick to swing baseball bats with enough power to KO a Yakuza trained in karate (as happened in Kenichi) despite being effeminate and conditioned not to fight back?
So what, you saw one punch man knock out vegita in some Japanese cartoon and you are wondering how applicable it is to real life?

Huh.

Why does this thread have so many replies?

The answer is. It's not

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
When I was young, I got into a group fight once (we called it to protect our neighborhood). There were many punches that were flying and landed on my body. The funniest thing was, those punches didn't hurt at all. After that day, I lose my respect to the term "street fighter".

The human body is like 3 springs. Without training, each spring is compressed and released separately. With training, all 3 springs can be compressed and released at the same time. If untrained can beat trained. That untrained should get a rope, find a quite place, and hang himself.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
So what, you saw one punch man knock out vegita in some Japanese cartoon and you are wondering how applicable it is to real life?

Huh.

Why does this thread have so many replies?

The answer is. It's not
Well duh, vegitas an alien with a tail. Completely ruins the ground game.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
When I was young, I got into a group fight once (we called it to protect our neighborhood). There were many punches that were flying and landed on my body. The funniest thing was, those punches didn't hurt at all. After that day, I lose my respect to the term "street fighter".

The human body is like 3 springs. Without training, each spring is compressed and released separately. With training, all 3 springs can be compressed and released at the same time. If untrained can beat trained. That untrained should get a rope, find a quite place, and hang himself.
Not agreeing or disagreeing, but i think you meant the trained should get a rope and hang himself. Doesnt make sense for the winner to do that

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
but i think you meant the trained should get a rope and hang himself.
You are right! That was a typo. Thanks for pointing it out.

When an un-trained punches, his

- eyes may be close at that moment.
- fist contact point may be wrong.
- punch is not using full body power.
- body may be totally exposed.
- balance is weak.

If one un-trained doesn't have these issues, he is not un-trained by definition.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
You are right! That was a typo. Thanks for pointing it out.

When an un-trained punches, his

- eyes may be close at that moment.
- fist contact point may be wrong.
- punch is not using full body power.
- body may be totally exposed.
- balance is weak.

If one un-trained doesn't have these issues, he is not un-trained by definition.

Different people consider different fist contact points to be 'correct' - for instance, I'd never intentionally use my ring and little knuckles...

As to the rest, a punch can be perfectly successful with weak balance, exposed body, closed eyes and just using the 'power' of the arm.

It doesn't have to be technically perfect to put someone on the floor - and a technically perfect punch can sometimes have no effect at all.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
exposed body,.
If a trained person doesn't know how to take advantage on his opponent's exposed body, he cannot be called as a trained person by definition. An exposed body may run into a kick. Leg is longer than the arm.

An untrained person doesn't understand "entering strategy".

Last edited:

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
If a trained person doesn't know how to take advantage on his opponent's exposed body, he cannot be called as a trained person by definition. An exposed body may run into a kick. Leg is longer than the arm.

An untrained person doesn't understand "entering strategy".

A trained person may not get the chance...

Being trained only increases your chances, it doesn't guarantee success.

If you really think a trained person will beat an untrained person 100% of the time, I have a bridge for sale ;)

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
A trained person may not get the chance...

Being trained only increases your chances, it doesn't guarantee success.

If you really think a trained person will beat an untrained person 100% of the time, I have a bridge for sale ;)
Nothing can be 100%. But by definition, the majority of the trained should be able to beat the majority of the untrained.