Can anybody give me information on Russian MA...

OP
J

John Matrix.

Hard to? Try impossible. You can't learn MA from a book.

OP
J

John Matrix.

Eh? I read this in a Spetsnaz book.

"The soviet system CQB is called Rukopashnyi Boi and has two main components, unarmed combat and skill at arms. Kholodniye Oruzhniye (cold weapons) covers the use of a bayonet (shtky), entrenching tool (shantsevaya lopata) and knife (nozh). While visiting Ryazan, I was able, as a senior close-quarter battle instructor to compare training notes with snior rukopashnyi boi instructor Lt. Col. Vladimir Panteleev. Pantelev demonstrated protocols for throwing a knife or bayonet, altering the grip on the blade dependent on the distance to be thrown. The unarmed combat sextion of Rukopashnyi Boi is called Sambo"

So what, Rukopashnyi Boi and Sambo are one in the same?

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Not familar with Russian MA, but I did send for a video and was impress by it. The Top Russian soldiers are people you do not want to meet in a war. Great stuffs. So much for my two cents. .."take coconuts"....Aloha

OP
J

John Matrix.

I'd buy the videos, but most, if not all of them cost 39.99

I know a guy has to make a living, but that's waaaay too much.

OP
J

John Matrix.

Would training is a MA that has techniques while training in ether ROSS or Systema interfer with one's training? It doesn't seem like you could effectivly combine a style that has techniques, and a style that doesn't.

mscroggins

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I have been told, both live and via the internet, that ballroom dancing is the best form of crosstraining for Systema. In January I am going to give it a try. Remind me in Febuary and I will give you my impressions.

In the past I have tried Aikido and Eskrima on the theory that some knowledge of basic martial technique would be handy. It wasn't, not even in the least. Though Eskrima was handy for picking up a sense of timing, distance and rhythm - all the things I hear you learn ballroom dancing.

mscroggins

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I observed a tango class yesterday. My initial impression is that the demographics in Seattle must skew younger than here. It was a very retirement aged set, though I think it varies from class to class.

But the crossover was obvious. Much of the class reminded me of the section in Beyond the Physical where Ryabko talks about the proper way of turning your partner and/or yourself. I can't believe I ignored this excellent training opportunity for so long. Live and learn I guess.

And speaking of Beyond the Physical, when I first arrived, a bellydancing lesson was in progress - explains why so many old men arrived early - and I was immediately forced to sit by a chest wave that affected me from across the room.