Can a private anonymous moderated forum be set up, just for students of one lineage?

MADENVER

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Does anyone know how and where this could be done?

Not on Facebook, apparently.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
You could certainly do it on FaceBook. There are TONS of private, invitation only groups on there.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
You can set up a forum or social network for just about anything(maybe oxwall or phpbb), or you can use existing infrastructure like Facebook, g+, etc.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Or on messenger. If you wanted it really private.

OP
M

MADENVER

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
The trick with Facebook is that I don't think the members could keep their identities anonymous ( choose anonymous screen names, separate from their Facebook identities. ) .

Could it be done here, as a private, privately moderated forum for a lineage, where no one who was not a member, could see the posts?

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
The trick with Facebook is that I don't think the members could keep their identities anonymous ( choose anonymous screen names, separate from their Facebook identities. ) .

Could it be done here, as a private, privately moderated forum for a lineage, where no one who was not a member, could see the posts?
You would have to direct that question to the owners at The Forum Foundry.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ya I'm pretty sure that isn't possible with this software. Plus there's no market for it here.

Not sure if there are more than a couple people here that share the same lineage of the same style.

OP
M

MADENVER

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I found a site called Forumotion and created one, but I'm new to this. I'm not sure how to promote it anonymously, without revealing my own identity, and still find the right people who would be interested. Anyway, thanks!

Hyoho

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Does anyone know how and where this could be done?

Not on Facebook, apparently.
My Ryu has facebook group. What do you mean by one lineage. You have a single line with a founder dating back to the 1600's or before?

OP
M

MADENVER

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
This would be an unofficial group, with everyone being anonymous - we want everyone to speak freely, so we cant use Facebook. Thanks guys.

This is apparently difficult to set up the right way, without great expense, so we may just forget it.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, why would you need to speak anonymously about martial arts? Is it outlawed in your country or something?

Hyoho

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
This would be an unofficial group, with everyone being anonymous - we want everyone to speak freely, so we cant use Facebook. Thanks guys.

This is apparently difficult to set up the right way, without great expense, so we may just forget it.
My school is 'Mongai Fushutsu' (Not to be shown outside) We dont even show fundamental waza at demonstrations. But we still have Facebook group. Any personal communication we can do through email or messenger. My Shihan would never even discuss things on the phone and prefered face to face. But it's 2018. We communicate and spread the ryu and he would have been pleased. That's why he taught me!

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone with a really good web hosting account probably has access to forum software as part of their account. If they have Softaculous (an installer used by some hosting programs, it's almost certain). They can set it up any way they wish.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, why would you need to speak anonymously about martial arts? Is it outlawed in your country or something?
I'd guess it's because speaking publicly causes friction with some instructors. Happened to me once.