Can a martial art kills?

KenpoMaster805

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
of course in the real street fight you gonna get hit hard and get injured its just better to avoid it if you need to Martial arts is used when you need to used it now if you avoid them and they still attack you thats a dfferent story if they hit you hard and injured you have to do the same but dont kill the person just injure them back LOL becaused you got no choice its either you gonna get injured and do nothing about it or youu gonna get injured and you gonna do something about it but remember martial arts is used when it need to be used if needed

MA_Student

Black Belt
Reaction score
Just wondering, the attacker is more likely to know martial art perhaps a black belt level. There is no chance to win a fight?
Martial arts aren't magic weapons a black belt can be beaten by anyone depending on the circumstances it's more about luck than ability most times

MA_Student

Black Belt
Reaction score
My martial art instructors see me as hard working or potential. I think my point is if I develop a skill of breaking bones, I don't want to go out there and start hitting people because I can. It is like carrying a pistol and accidentally misfires.
Yeah seriously I really don't think that's going to ever happen

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah seriously I really don't think that's going to ever happen
It could. I get my leg broken training, a friend of mine got his arm broken training, and I've seen a ton of more minor injuries occur. It's not very likely (two broken bones among all the people I've trained with in 20 years is pretty good imo), but it's certainly possible.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Just wondering, the attacker is more likely to know martial art perhaps a black belt level. There is no chance to win a fight?

Can you spar hard without killing someone?

I mean can we mention wrestling again?

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Well, there is always a chance. Especially when the BB guy doesn't train primarily for fights. Or is drunk, tired, old... There is always a chance.

If Mayweather had fought 1000x, even against hundreds of "McGregors", he would lose at some point.:)

Paul_D

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
People that go around attcking you (Career criminals, dickheads, etc) tend not to be the sort of people who have dedicated years of training to becoming a (reputable) black belt. Not saying it never happens ofcourse, but generally speaking your not going to get attacked by a highly skilled highly trained MA. Your attacker will however likely be highly skilled at criminal violence, which is a different kettle of fish altogether.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
PYour attacker will however likely be highly skilled at criminal violence, which is a different kettle of fish altogether.
i.e.: someone who is comfortable inflicting violence, pain, and injury, while being unruffled by taking shots to the face and body.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
i.e.: someone who is comfortable inflicting violence, pain, and injury, while being unruffled by taking shots to the face and body.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

So i am training criminal violence then?

Actually being punched in the face still ruffles me.

Swagmaster2993

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Any time people fight, there is always the risk of serious injury or death. That's life. Two drunks get into a fistfight, one falls and hits his head and dies. Or one has a heart attack and dies. And so on.

We should all be aware that risk is part of violence, whether or not you are justified in using it.

Good martial arts training will provide you with the ability to defend yourself in many circumstances. Over time, you will learn control as well as technique. You will have options (for example, locks, evades, throws, trips) as opposed to strikes which you may choose to employ if you judge that the circumstances call for it.

In the end, however, all of us, trained and untrained, have to accept the fact that when people fight, death or serious injury is always a possibility.

When it comes to self-defense, well if someone has to die, I do not want it to be me. I value life, but I put mine in front of the life of a person who is attacking me.
Don't forget king punches. I don't think you would be doing martial arts while drunk either though. More like flailing you fists around.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
So i am training criminal violence then?
Maybe.

Actually being punched in the face still ruffles me.
OK.

I meant what I wrote, violent criminals typically have a history of, well, violence. They're well acquainted with both dealing out and receiving physical violence. It's part of their lives and usually always has been.

"Martial Artists" from the suburbs often seem to believe that everyone lived lives as civilized as theirs has been and that at the first sign of resistance the bad guy will just give up. Just bop 'em in the nose right?

No. Most violent criminals have a history of violence and know exactly what being bopped in the nose is like and, whether or not it "bothers" them, they certainly know how to work through it.

After finding out that I'm a "Martial Artist," one guy spent several minutes telling that "everyone has a plan until you sock 'em in the beak." <sigh>

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
150EE883-2A84-43D6-B1EE-4B8031D593D4.jpeg

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah, that was the quote. But the person telling me this didn't even get the quote right. He had no idea what he was talking about or its context.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Paul_D

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
all violence is criminal, outside of self defence and the dojo / ring etal,
Yes, but the term "criminal violence" specifically refers to the way criminals go about violence, which different from the way trained martial artist or 'street fighters' does.

A mugger will ask for directions (as an example) in order to disguise their real intent, and then when you are distracted giving them directions they will sucker punch you then steal your phone/wallet etc. They won't take up a fighting stance an offer to go three five minutes rounds with you with the winner going home with your belongings. A lot of MA's assume that engaging in a consensual fighting is the same as defending yourself from self criminal violence.

Case in point Drop Bear, who I don't even have to take off ignore to know has missed this point entirely and displayed his unwavering inability to distinguish between the two.

Here ended, today's lesson.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
all violence is criminal, outside of self defence and the dojo / ring etal,

Well if you look at the definition. But realistic violence would be closer to the concept. Rather than theoretical violence i think.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yes, but the term "criminal violence" specifically refers to the way criminals go about violence, which different from the way trained martial artist or 'street fighters' does.

A mugger will ask for directions (as an example) in order to disguise their real intent, and then when you are distracted giving them directions they will sucker punch you then steal your phone/wallet etc. They won't take up a fighting stance an offer to go three five minutes rounds with you with the winner going home with your belongings. A lot of MA's assume that engaging in a consensual fighting is the same as defending yourself from self criminal violence.

Case in point Drop Bear, who I don't even have to take off ignore to know has missed this point entirely and displayed his unwavering inability to distinguish between the two.

Here ended, today's lesson.

I have delt with muggers. You are incorrect.

Mabye take reality off ignore.

And look if you want to talk about ambushing dudes. What do people think I used to do as a bouncer. You would see a guy who you would potentially have to deal with. Then gang up. Then isolate them. Then ambush them.

But the idea that this is not just an extention of the methods you are already training is pretty strange. You still might have to fight them. In which case all the principles of fighting apply.

Last edited: