Calling all Kyokushin karate-ka, Kancho Hatsuo Royama online class!

Discussion in 'Seminars, Camps, Events & Tournaments' started by _Simon_, May 14, 2020.

1. _Simon_

_Simon_ Senior Master

Really looking forward to this one, one of the people who was with Sosai from pretty much the beginning.

Also love his practice and teaching of Ikken, hoping we do some of that.

Details below, tagging some folk who may be interested, would love to train alongside you! It's this Sunday 9am (Japan time), which is only 10am here, unsure what time it'll be where you all are. And it's on Zoom, which is super easy to use.

What a great opportunity to train with a Kyokushin pioneer!

@Yokozuna514 @JR 137 @Kyokushin_1054 [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  2. Yokozuna514

Yokozuna514 Brown Belt

That is certainly an amazing opportunity to train with someone who competed in the first World Open Karate Tournament and came in second in a spirited final immortalized in the movie Fighting Black Kings.

9:00 am Japan time is 8:00 pm Saturday night Eastern Daylight Savings time so I am not sure I will be able to participate but what an opportunity. Hope to hear about your experience Simon. Cheers !

• Like Like x 1
  3. _Simon_

_Simon_ Senior Master

Ah no worries at all, yeah will do! :)

4. Yokozuna514

Yokozuna514 Brown Belt

I've spoken to it with a few friends and they will be participating. I have a seminar to attend on Sunday morning so I will see if there isn't a way to swing both somehow. I'm sure my wife wouldn't mind me ducking out the entire weekend to train in the basement ;) .

5. _Simon_

_Simon_ Senior Master

Haha, ah that's awesome, there are a few seminars goin round huh! Would be great to virtually train in the same seminar. Yeah I was in the back room of the house for quite a bit during the online camp, just say it's for your own sanity ;)

6. JR 137

JR 137 Grandmaster

I would love to do this, but I don’t think the time is going to work out for me. 8 pm tonight might be booked up by my family, unfortunately. I’ll definitely try my best.

Thanks for the information!

7. _Simon_

_Simon_ Senior Master

Ah that's all good! Just thought I'd put it out there for whoever is interested.

Oh and also forgot to mention that Shihan Cameron Quinn has been doing live training vids just on his YouTube channel every Monday, Wednesday and Friday (3pm Australian time), and it gets put up for anyone to do anytime.

I did one yesterday live, and it was really insightful! Always loved his more holistic approach to training.

8. _Simon_

_Simon_ Senior Master

Great session! Got alot out of it...
    First up worked on three different variations in hip movement when doing techniques. The 3rd one I wasn't too sure about, it seemed similar to the hip vibration taught in other styles, but here we were rotating hips to 60° and snapping it back to 45°. But couldn't get the proper feel of it while doing uchi uke specifically.

Then kokutsu dachi with chudan tsuki, using the first hip movement (tighter and more subtle hip rotation), then all our weight on the back leg, front leg in the air while punching haha, that was fun. All about keeping body straight, good alignment and balanced when seemingly off balance, to not lean back. If a flurry of punches is coming towards you, to keep your posture and balance basically.

Then we practiced walking which was good fun haha. He said walking with coordinated arms and legs teaches good basic movement and alignment. And to not stomp either like some do in karate, but use this natural walking pattern and emulate that in your karate.

We then practiced a circular hand technique which was fascinating which involved pretending there was a glass panel in front of you, and sliding along it in a big circle. Meant to promote not bringing your hands in and out, forward and back when blocking attacks, but just keeping them the same distance from the body and move them in a circle. We combined this movement with the walking pattern too.

To finish we did a challenging shiko dachi exercise, lowering for a 10 count, and raising for a 10 count (and not not fully to straight legs either, no resting!). Doing this sequence a total of 10 times, my legs were burrrrrning haha.

Really great session and gave me lots to think about!

• Like Like x 1
  9. _Simon_

_Simon_ Senior Master

And this morning before the session I actually found out that this class was supposed to be only for the Americas, and the one for Asia, Australia and Europe is on Saturday the 23rd haha whoops!

What I did was, I still logged in today, but if the class reached its max capacity (1000 people) I would bow out and let others train.

But the total never really reached past 179 people, so I just kept training haha.

But, I'm looking forward to the one meant for us on Saturday ;) (6pm Japan time)

• Like Like x 2
  10. Yokozuna514

Yokozuna514 Brown Belt

How was the seminar Simon ? In the end, I was not able to make any of the seminars I had hoped to participate in. I had conflicts for both so I had to self soothe by watching Fighting Black Kings again. Glad to hear there are people still training Kyokushin out there.

11. _Simon_

_Simon_ Senior Master

Ah nice that'll soothe the soul ;)

Yeah it was great, posted what we did a few posts up, did some really cool and different stuff. He had a translator there to help which was tricky to hear at times, but he had a great energy and enthusiasm.

They did say however that would be doing more of these, so will keep you posted!

• Like Like x 1
  12. Yokozuna514

Yokozuna514 Brown Belt

Sounds good, Simon.

13. JR 137

JR 137 Grandmaster

One of my favorite movies. My teacher has some great stories from that era. He wasn’t in the movie, but he trained in many sessions that might as well have been in it. Tons of great training alongside William Oliver and Charles Martin stories during those days and beyond.

Hanshi Charles Martin is one of the nicest and knowledgeable guys in the business. Always has a smile on his face and will gladly share any knowledge he has. I’ve never met Shuseki Shihan William Oliver, but everything I’ve heard was the same.

Edit: My teacher told me someone asked Hanshi Charles to sign his Fighting Black Kings dvd a few years ago. He chuckled and said “that movie’s still around?”

• Like Like x 1
  14. Yokozuna514

Yokozuna514 Brown Belt

One of my favourite movies as well. I recently found out that someone I had trained with was in a the movie for a brief second. He was training at the Oyama dojo when they were filming. Anyhow it is always interesting to hear the stories of people that were training during that time. The use of the shinai was very different then than it is used now ;) .

• Like Like x 2
  15. JR 137

JR 137 Grandmaster

My teacher spent a little time at Soshu Shigeru Oyama’s dojo in White Plains, NY and more time at Kaicho Nakamura’s during those days. We’re about 2.5 hours away, so it’s not too far, yet not an everyday thing either. My teacher’s teacher was one of Nakamura’s top students back then, and he’d go every weekend and bring some students with him. My teacher went more often than most others.

The cameras were rolling during some of the sessions he attended, but he was probably edited out. He was a 2nd-1st Kyu at the time. He said that’s pretty much how they always trained, but the intensity went up a few notches when the cameras were there. Not Oyama’s and Nakamura’s intensity, but the students’ as a whole. He said the black belt test in the movie was no exaggeration at all. They were that tough and quite often even tougher than what was shown.

He wasn’t around Frank Clark and Willie Williams too much, but spent a lot of time getting battered (in a good way) by Martin and Oliver. And that went on through the years afterwards. He said they’d knock you down at will, smile and pick you up, then do over and over again. And they’d encourage you every second. Even though those guys were like superstars, they had the kind of demeanor as if they were just another guy in the dojo.

When my teacher tested for shodan, there were a few students from Oyama’s dojo testing too (Oyama and Nakamura would occasionally send some of their students to each other to test). During a lunch break, 2 of Oyama’s students spotted Nakamura outside the dojo. Instead of walking up to him and acknowledging him, they went across the street and thought Nakamura didn’t see them. Nakamura went on with his business and didn’t say or do anything. When he got back to the dojo, he told my teacher’s teacher what happened. My teacher’s teacher simply told my teacher it was going to be a long afternoon. They did all out kumite for a couple hours straight. And he failed those 2 guys. Didn’t say anything to them about it, but told Oyama immediately after the test. Oyama wasn’t happy with his students. One can only imagine what went down when they got back.

During his nidan test, my teacher was going down the line sparring with everyone. His last 2 partners were Charles Martin and William Oliver, back to back. William Oliver picked his right leg up, held it out high in a mawashi geri, and windshield wipered my teacher’s head while laughing. Once my teacher picked himself up off the floor, Oliver did the same thing again, only with his left foot.

Then there’s the stories about challengers coming into the dojo. One was almost thrown out the 2nd floor window. Kaicho had the nickname “Knock ‘em out Nakamura” in several circles. I’ve heard that nickname from a few unrelated sources.

• Like Like x 1
  16. _Simon_

_Simon_ Senior Master

Love those stories JR :)

The other session tonight was great, much the same as the other class pretty much, but a few additions, like working on foot shaping during kicks, and forming it as soon as possible.

We also drilled that count 3 in Pinan Ichi (the zenkutsu dachi gedan barai to nekoashi dachi tettsui), really good part to focus on quick transition and keeping your balance throughout. Enjoyed the additions, and still gave me a chance to work on the other stuff.

Reached about 220 people from all over, South Africa, Turkey; I'd invited a few dojo mates to join in but couldn't see anyone there. Only a couple of Aussies in there.

• Like Like x 1
  17. _Simon_

_Simon_ Senior Master

And this one coming up on Saturday I am REALLY looking forward to.

Fuku Kancho Mike Ninomiya (son of Enshin founder Joko) and Shihan Judd Reid doing a seminar together... wow.

(The date in the pic is actually wrong, it's this Saturday the 30th May, 12pm Australia time. Or Friday 29th at 8pm MST time)[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  18. Yokozuna514

Yokozuna514 Brown Belt

Thanks for the heads up !

19. _Simon_

_Simon_ Senior Master

No worries! I think that may be something like 10pm where you are hehe.. but if you're keen!

The Zoom info isn't available yet but I'll post it here when I know.

• Like Like x 1
  20. _Simon_

_Simon_ Senior Master

The info is up!

Judd Reid

On the post above is the link to click, otherwise I'm fairly sure the Zoom Meeting ID would most likely be: 2721481729

Should be good! Oh and updated picture with proper date:[​IMG]123