Calling all Kickboxers! Do you have a grading syllabus/belt system in kickboxing?

Jimi

Black Belt
Reaction score
So a fight between A TKD guy & A Muay Thai guy qualifies you to Coach Kickboxing? You lost me.

Jimi

Black Belt
Reaction score
I would like to know what training other than a 4th Dan in AMP-RYU Assoc. prepares you to corner for Kickboxing? Do you prepare fighters for Full Contact or no?

Jimi

Black Belt
Reaction score
AMP-RYU, are trying to explain that you teach your arts sparring and call it kickboxing? I can agree you are teaching Sparring, although many of us do not see karate sparring as the same animal as KICKBOXING which in most cases is a hard Full Contact ring sport of arts such as Boxing itself, Bama Lethwei, Muay Thai, and even Cambodian & Laocian arts. These arts put people in the ring for the intent of Full Contact fighting sanctioned by some governing body requiring the Coach to have sufficient training to handle Fighter prep, cornering & ringside medical care for the fighter. If you have trained to handle the corner etc... you would have no objection to someones opinion about a background in Boxing or a Full Contact Kickboxing art, which is better than just BB rank in Karate then teaching KICKBOXING! Again, I realize I am being harsh, but the defense of " I am a BB how dare you question my capabilities to teach Kickboxing." That offends me. Is it Sparring that you teach?

Jimi

Black Belt
Reaction score
Come on man. That video explains nothing relative to my questions. I feel you will justify your INSTRUCTION of KICKBOXING based on your Assoc's sparring rules & say that makes it Kickboxing and you are a Kickboxing instructor. You can teach someone to spar & even throw them into a full contact ring, but my opinion is , you as a teacher & your student as a fighter in the ring will be better off if you had some form of Full Contact (Boxing) experience, especially in the case of cornering for a fighter. Both of you would be the better for it. Do you see what I am getting at or will you take this as a grand insult to your BB rank acheivement?

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Come on man. That video explains nothing relative to my questions. I feel you will justify your INSTRUCTION of KICKBOXING based on your Assoc's sparring rules & say that makes it Kickboxing and you are a Kickboxing instructor. You can teach someone to spar & even throw them into a full contact ring, but my opinion is , you as a teacher & your student as a fighter in the ring will be better off if you had some form of Full Contact (Boxing) experience, especially in the case of cornering for a fighter. Both of you would be the better for it. Do you see what I am getting at or will you take this as a grand insult to your BB rank acheivement?
You might consider giving him more than an hour to respond...

I agree that having ring experience is very helpful, and even desirable, but it is possible for a person to prepare a fighter from their base art for a full contact match. They'll need to do some research and learn about appropriate conditioning exercises... but they can do it.

AMP-RYU

Black Belt
Reaction score
I have a seperate class, besides my "karate" class that I offer for Full Contact Sport Karate aka "kickboxing". All we do is condition, and train in a sport environment. One on one full contact. I was asked if I had a background in boxing and I replied simply no. I personally dont see the point that you need all of this experience in a hands only "sport" to kickbox! I teach my "Sport Karate" aka "sport kickboxing" full contact sparring. Yes when we train we wear head gear and foot protection and gloves, and even in ametuer fights they wear head gear. I don't see how anyone can say that someone that teaches "kickboxing" and has no background in "boxing" is not qualified to teach kickboxing!? When kickboxing was dirived from full contact "SPORT KARATE". Rmember BOXING and KICKBOXING are two different sports! Im done arguing my point, Im a martial artist, not just a kickboxer!
icon7.gif

Nolerama

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I have a seperate class, besides my "karate" class that I offer for Full Contact Sport Karate aka "kickboxing". All we do is condition, and train in a sport environment. One on one full contact. I was asked if I had a background in boxing and I replied simply no. I personally dont see the point that you need all of this experience in a hands only "sport" to kickbox! I teach my "Sport Karate" aka "sport kickboxing" full contact sparring. Yes when we train we wear head gear and foot protection and gloves, and even in ametuer fights they wear head gear. I don't see how anyone can say that someone that teaches "kickboxing" and has no background in "boxing" is not qualified to teach kickboxing!? When kickboxing was dirived from full contact "SPORT KARATE". Rmember BOXING and KICKBOXING are two different sports! Im done arguing my point, Im a martial artist, not just a kickboxer!
icon7.gif

How can you be full contact when you teach not to get hit? I mean, you're GONNA get hit sooner or later. And I'd rather be used to the idea, than be stunned by it.

That video BTW, the TKD guy had his chin waaay up. I don't know about that Muay Thai guy, but he should have threw a punch in there to end it. Just my $.02

AMP-RYU

Black Belt
Reaction score
Again, I realize I am being harsh, but the defense of " I am a BB how dare you question my capabilities to teach Kickboxing." That offends me. Is it Sparring that you teach?

I never said this! I never said "IM A BB HOW DARE YOU QUESTION MY ABILITIES TO TEACH KICKBOXING"
I did say being a MARTIAL ARTIST I am offended that another martial artist would question a fellow martial artist background for just expaining how he does his rankings! I came onto this forum to expain my belt ranking system to help someone else out. Not to be questioned about this and that. I do in fact teach sparring in my MARTIAL ARTS CLASS, but in my Kickboxing class we do full contact sport Karate in which kickboxing was derived! But if I put Sport Karate on my building and my flyers my target age groups would think "karate is stupid" and I wouldnt have my students! People recognize Kickboxing faster as being...."COOL". I am teaching Kickboxing/sport karate.

AMP-RYU

Black Belt
Reaction score
How can you be full contact when you teach not to get hit? I mean, you're GONNA get hit sooner or later. And I'd rather be used to the idea, than be stunned by it.

That video BTW, the TKD guy had his chin waaay up. I don't know about that Muay Thai guy, but he should have threw a punch in there to end it. Just my $.02

Full contact is what I teach in my kickboxing class, but why would I teach my students to take a hit when they can avoid them?:shrug: They do take full contact hits, but I teach them how to avoid this.:asian:

Nolerama

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Full contact is what I teach in my kickboxing class, but why would I teach my students to take a hit when they can avoid them?:shrug: They do take full contact hits, but I teach them how to avoid this.:asian:

Is that a guarantee? 100% avoidance of all strikes?

Just one glancing blow to the face could freak someone out.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Y'know, folks, coaching and training for full contact is a great topic... but I don't think it has all that much to do with whether or not ranking in kickboxing is offered or appropriate. Might I steer you all to the NEW THREAD button, and suggest a move? ;)

AMP-RYU

Black Belt
Reaction score
Is that a guarantee? 100% avoidance of all strikes?

Just one glancing blow to the face could freak someone out.

So your stating that a real kickboxing instructor would teach their students to take blows to the face?
icon11.gif

Jimi

Black Belt
Reaction score
You might consider giving him more than an hour to respond...
AMP-RYU was online at the time & viewing the thread. I guess he was researching for a response. I thought he wanted to discuss our difference of opinion.

Jimi

Black Belt
Reaction score
I have trained in Bando for many years & am a National Black Belt SuperHeavy Weight Bronze Medalist from 1995. The ABA has a ranking system of belts, but that rank is not relavent to only the Kickboxing skills, it covers traditional drills & forms as well as weapons, stick & blades etc... A MARTIAL ART if you will. I also trained in the TBA for years. Again as a teen I trained in the USABF. Other than the ABA's use of Belt rank & Kyokushin Karate Full Contact, most full contact Kickboxing arts do not use belt rank. It is just not that common.

AMP-RYU

Black Belt
Reaction score
AMP-RYU was online at the time & viewing the thread. I guess he was researching for a response. I thought he wanted to discuss our difference of opinion.
I was not "researching for answers" I was ignoring you but if you want to go at it fine! What differences do we have? I teach a class, seperate than my Martial arts class, that teaches just kicks, blocks, foot movement and punching/jabs/uppercuts ect. We train hard, and we fight full contact american rules. FYI no kicks below the waist, punches and kicks, head gear optional, must wear foot gear and gloves and must have long pants. Competetors fight in weight classes men and women. I teach full contact sport karate..."kickboxing". Kickboxing was never meant to be a "style". Why not have a "martial arts" background? Kickboxing was built around Sport Karate as a way to tournament fight! So Im not going to let someone tell me that because I also teach Karate Im not "certified" to teach Kickboxing! All kickboxing is is a tournament style! There are many ways to Kickbox. Many different styles. I choose american style, because it reflects more of the "karate" style. If you like Muay Tai so be it, I personally dont know muay tai and really dont want to! What kind of martial arts background do you have Mr. Jimi? other than Kickboxing? I would love to know....not so I can tear you apart, but I just find it interesting thats it! And yes I know that their are people out there teaching just kickboxing and that is fine but really your teaching other martial arts styles, In a way to fight for sport! Are you not? Kicking was not created when kickboxing was created, and punching was not created when boxing was created! Go ahead and be "harsh" smore! I dont care for your personal opinion! Im here to learn and to talk to respectable martial artist.
icon6.gif

dungeonworks

Black Belt
Reaction score
AMP-RYU, I see what you are saying as I have ran across several schools in smokers I have done that do the very thing you are. I have also seen schools dabble in it just for the learning experience and learn on the fly as they go, not unlike what many MMA guys/teams do (Alan Orr and his Wing Chun/MMA guys come to mind). Speaking purely as an former FCR rules ametuer kickboxer, it is not uncommon and not without success. At the smokers I did, we were matched up by number of fights and other claimed experience. Most fighters at these smokers came from various styles of martial arts (if any) and boxing. It was impossible to have a standard belt ranking. In otherwords, it went by the honor system. We still had pre fight physicals and an ambulance with paramedics at the ready and ametuer bouts had required fight gear such as head gear, foot/shin pads, and 12 oz gloves. Also, a panel of 3 fight judges usually comprised of local longtime martial artists and former PKA kickboxers. There was no USBA anything unless competitors were from a boxing gym and it was in their background. Basically, if you passed the physical you could fight and they were open to anyone. The cornermen and the equipment they brought had to be at certain requirements (number of corner people, bucket, towels..ect).

I think the major diconnect here is that some come up boxing first or in a kickboxing gym affiliated with a kickboxing governing body such as ISKA, KICK, PKA...ect. All are quite different and have their own rules and regs. and requirements. In fact, some are different enough to be another form of kickboxing altogether, which brings me to my point...kickboxing is a generalized term for full contact sport fighting using all four limbs and variants of them. I am not familiar at all with governing body politics, but I can say that the kickboxing AMP-RYU describes is not uncommon, nor would (should) it be shot down because of no formal boxing training. I think the boxing would greatly help, as it did for me, but I don't feel it is necessary. Kerry Roop came right out of TKD and is a 5 time title holder. Several guys out there came from similar roots.

Like that guy in "Meet the Parents saidL:

JESUS FOKKER, IT'S JUST A GAME!!! :ultracool

Latest Discussions