California Agricultural/Seat belt trap?

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last week while in LA, my hubby got stopped at ticket trap, under the guise of an agricultural check. He was in a long line of cars being pulled over randomly. The cop apologized since he was out of town, but the original intent was not for agricultural products as no questions about that was asked.
It was only to check seatbelt violations and then he got a long speech about it and a ticket. In MN. we can get a ticket for seatbelt without another violation but I didn't know that for CA. Also, it seemed a little devious to do it as a trap under agricultural, so that drivers wouldn't hurry and belt up. After all it is about safety, but it also seems to be a money maker for the CHP.

All you Calif. drivers, a word of wisdom, belt up as it is a $65 ticket. TW

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ha.

I got stopped in IL for somthing similar, driving someone elses car, and I got hit with a $500.00 fine because HIS insurance wasnt up to date. Mine wasnt good enough, as It was someone elses car, see... but *I* was responsible for *HIS* insurance since I was behind the wheel.

So I stand to lose 500 bucks, PLUS get hit with a Years worth of SR22 insurance which is quite expensive.

Lesson Learned... NEVER help someone else out.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
only $65 for seatbelt ticket in CA??? has it gone down???

OP
TigerWoman

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
Your lesson was a little costlier. I wouldn't have thought that either, that you climb into someone else's car and its not your insurance but whether he has legal insurance. Will have to tell that one to my son and daughter too.

For a seatbelt trap in M'sota, I don't know what they would do. Maybe a stop, to see if you have gone over your fishing limit or transporting apples, or corn who knows. I know they stop alot of people for other reasons supposedly and then find them transporting drugs...like in the airbag compartments! Dogs can sniff out practically anything and they are doing alot more canine partner patrols. One of our students is a cop partnered with a dog. He tells us all kinds of stories while we are working out. TW

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
New Hampshire ... Live Free or Die :)

We are the only state in the country, as I understand it, that does not require a seat belt for adults (mandatory for the under 18 crowd).

Alas, we are a little state, and I frequently cross state lines.

Buckle Up.

OP
TigerWoman

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
shesulsa said:
only $65 for seatbelt ticket in CA??? has it gone down???

How much was yours? TW

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
michaeledward said:
New Hampshire ... Live Free or Die :)

We are the only state in the country, as I understand it, that does not require a seat belt for adults (mandatory for the under 18 crowd).

Alas, we are a little state, and I frequently cross state lines.

Buckle Up.

Ya know what I find weird about that?

Illinois HAS a Seatbelt law, but no Helmet law for Motorcycle riders, New Hampsire has a Restricted Helmet law, but no seatbelt law. Bizzare.

Sam

Senior Master
Reaction score
Technopunk said:

Illinois HAS a Seatbelt law, but no Helmet law for Motorcycle riders, New Hampsire has a Restricted Helmet law, but no seatbelt law. Bizzare.

I find it kinda weird you know the traffic laws for both illinois and new hampshire....

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Technopunk said:

This is so true. In Ohio you get pulled over for doing 55.1 MpH and yet you can have you and a passenger on your bike with no helmet. :)

No there are some interesting stats on helmets, but do not have the links handy so will wait until later. ;)

As to Michigan, they can pull you over for not wearing a seat belt. Originally they had to ahve another reason, but not anymore.

Also the driver used to be held responsible for other adults in the car. That has recently changed so if a passenger or even a drive decides not to wear one and you do, they can get the ticket and not you.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sam said:
I find it kinda weird you know the traffic laws for both illinois and new hampshire....

Actually, I carry a card in my wallet with all 50 States helmet laws on it, so when I ride Cross country, I know where its "safe" (legally speaking) to take my helmet off. I was basing my knowlage of NH's seatbelt law on Michaeledwards statement, and the Helmet law requirements I got off that card.

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
New Hampshire does not have a helmet law, to my knowlege; but check with your Laconia Bike Week friends. I always see the bikers pulling over and taking their helmets' off as they come in from Mass.

I feel the same about motorcycles as I do guns.

The only time I have been on a moving motorcycle was as a passenger while intoxicated about 20 years ago. Had I been sober, I never would have got on the damn thing.

Live Free or Die .... yeah, maybe! :)

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yeah, I checked into it further... Helmet law there is only for persons under 18. Thats what the "restricted" on my card meant.

kelly keltner

Black Belt
Reaction score
Ticket trap in Ca maybe maybe not.
In Ca the police don't have to use another violation to pull you over for not wearing your safety belt. They see you driving without it boom you get pulled over ticket then on your way.
Where did he get pulled over at?
LA doesn't have much in the way of agricultural stops as far as I know.
We've got wiegh stations for comercial truckers.
We've got border control around San Onfre and another on Hiway 15 which runs through Riverside I think?
I know we have state check points comming back from Nevada on interstate 80 and another on Interstate five comming in from Oregon.
As far as ag checkpoints I can't think of any.
So where did your husband get pulled over?
Not being sarcastic just curious?
Could be something the CHP sets up sporadicly.

kk

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm aware of some ag checks at the borders ....

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've been stopped at an ag. checkpoint driving in to Calif. All that they did was ask us about ag. products. It seemed to be what they said it was. It wasn't a regular LEO but a specialized ag. inspection officer of some sort, it seemed.