Calf injury

indifference

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I'm new to the forum and wanted to ask about your experiences with injury and I'm particularly interested in hearing from anyone who has ever been hit with a calf muscle tear while trailing. I've had the misfortune of picking up an injury during kickboxing training, we were working on kicks at the time and when it happened I actually thought that someone had kicked my calf, It was only then I put pressure on it that I realised that there was something wrong. Anyway, it turned out to be a muscle tear and so I've been out of action for almost 2 weeks now, It looks as though it will be the new year before I can return to light training but I'm eager to know if anyone has had this particular injury and if they were able to return to training without further problems with this injury, any info is much appreciated.......

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I'm new to the forum and wanted to ask about your experiences with injury and I'm particularly interested in hearing from anyone who has ever been hit with a calf muscle tear while trailing. I've had the misfortune of picking up an injury during kickboxing training, we were working on kicks at the time and when it happened I actually thought that someone had kicked my calf, It was only then I put pressure on it that I realised that there was something wrong. Anyway, it turned out to be a muscle tear and so I've been out of action for almost 2 weeks now, It looks as though it will be the new year before I can return to light training but I'm eager to know if anyone has had this particular injury and if they were able to return to training without further problems with this injury, any info is much appreciated.......
do what your doctor tells you, if he has said rest it till,,,,, then rest it till,,,. Significant muscle tears can take some getting over, it must have been very tight to do that in the fist place?

how long??? Depends on how old you are and how much damage you have done, you may find that gentle exercise. To get blood flow to the area speed things up, what you don't want to do is damage it any more.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Welcome to MartialTalk, bro.

Heal up, listen to your docs. And have fun here.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I haven’t had a calf tear, but I did tear 1/4 of the way through a forearm muscle last year. It has healed, with only residual discomfort, and no apparent weakness or limitation, through physical therapy. Be careful that you don’t cause an auxiliary injury by doing too much before it heals well. Hobbling can lead to knee or hip problems that extend your time on the injured reserve list.

OP
I

indifference

White Belt
Reaction score
I haven’t had a calf tear, but I did tear 1/4 of the way through a forearm muscle last year. It has healed, with only residual discomfort, and no apparent weakness or limitation, through physical therapy. Be careful that you don’t cause an auxiliary injury by doing too much before it heals well. Hobbling can lead to knee or hip problems that extend your time on the injured reserve list.

Yes I have noticed that my knee begins to hurt if I hobble for any length of time, fortunately this is not that often so I'm not predicting any ongoing problems there. I'm glad to learn that your arm healed without weakness or limitation, that's what I was most worried about, I plan to start physical therapy by next weekend and will concentrate on stretching and strengthening for the following 6 weeks or so and hopefully I can get back to training in the new year, I miss training so bad but don't want a repeat injury!!

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes I have noticed that my knee begins to hurt if I hobble for any length of time, fortunately this is not that often so I'm not predicting any ongoing problems there. I'm glad to learn that your arm healed without weakness or limitation, that's what I was most worried about, I plan to start physical therapy by next weekend and will concentrate on stretching and strengthening for the following 6 weeks or so and hopefully I can get back to training in the new year, I miss training so bad but don't want a repeat injury!!
Are you working with a physical therapist?

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
use the down time to work on your upper body strengh and conditioning, cycling can be a good reahab exercises,as can swimming, ask your physio

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes but its just been massage therapy and rest so far, my exercise plan starts next week
Good, then. I’ve found a lot of value in PTs knowing what ancillary areas need attention during the healing process, to account for both disuse and compensatory tension.

Latest Discussions