By the way...

G

GouRonin

The other day I ran across a guy who told me that his sensei told him that the real meaning of TKD is that it is a "Killing Art."

It must be true because I was dying from laughing.
:rofl:

OP
G

GouRonin

If you read it on the internet it must be true right?

OP
R

Rob_Broad

Tae Kwon Do is a killing art. Most TKD stylists I have seen in a street fight get killed.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thats not totally true. Most Pro-Wrestlers caught in street fights also got totaled. :)

Guys, don't pick on the folks in the funny pajamas.... Oh wait, we all wear funny pajamas. :)

Seriously, no bashing legit arts please. I'd like everyone to feel welcome here.

If you truely feel the need to tell the joke about the TKD guy, the Kenpo guy and the Tai Chi guy, please do it in the Humor forum. :)

Danke.
:asian:

OP
R

Rob_Broad

I'm sorry. I'll behave or atleast take it to the humor section.

OP
B

brianbarton

No matter what style you practise or how much experience you have there will be someone out there who can leave you in a sorry state.

Regarding the whole Taekwon-Do though, I practice ITF Taekwon-Do as started by General Choi, Hong Hi.

We are taught;

What is Taekwon-Do: A way of life

Tae in Taekwondo is "the use of feet techniques." The second syllable, kwon, literally means "the use of the hand to strike and punch." Finally, the last syllable, do, literally means "a road, method, or way" or "the truth." Its use in Taekwondo means "the way of justice." Thus, Taekwondo is the art of foot and hand.

What does Taekwon-Do mean: The art of Kicking and punching (roughly translated)

OP
W

white dragon

I do WTF tkd and we're taught very much the same as my ITF friend above. I don't see why it couldn't be considered a killing art though, I remember someone saying something about how a kitchen knife could be used to chop vegetables, or in the hands of another man could be used to kill someone. Wasn't that Bruce Lee? As always it depends on the individual...

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by white dragon
As always it depends on the individual...

Yes, and the instructor. I think the issue is that since TKD, judo, and some other arts are considered sports, some people think that that is all they are or can be used for; yet boxing for example is a sport that has been quite effective in self-defense.

In another thread I mentioned how the Gracies feel that a sport art like judo is actually better because you can and do practice your techniques full-force against a resisting opponent.

OP
G

GouRonin

I'd bet the farm on most Judoka over most TKDers 90% of the time.

OP
W

white dragon

I don't consider TKD to be a sport, despite doing WTF (the Olympic style). As you said it depends on the instructor. In my regualr class we cover competition sparring, sure, but the main part of the lesson is based on techniques that you would use in the street, as it is after all a martial art, not martial sport. I'm so used to using take-downs, sweeps, holds and floor work that I assumed this was standard TKD.

Over the summer I went to train at a different club (as I normaly train at my university club). I found a WTF club thinking it would be similar. The instuctor is a 5th Dan, and there's no doubting he's earned his title at all. However, it became clear to me that none of these students had come close to do anything like a sweep, or kicks to the knees, or below the belt (apart from a front kick to the groin). From this experience I can see how it could be considered a sport, as most of the training we did (apart from 1 and 3 step) was concentrating on the best way to score points in a competition.

I think the attitude towards TKD depends on the instructor. As someone that hasn't been studying it for an amazing length of time, I can't say how much of what I'm being taught is "pure" TKD, but we're taught what we are because it's practicle.

OP
G

GouRonin

The Farm isn't that big. But if I keep betting on the Judoka I'm sure that it'll be bigger.
:rolleyes:

OP
W

white dragon

Good come back, sir! Well kinda.... :D Have you ever entered any open competitions?

OP
G

GouRonin

Just of the toughman variety and there isn't a lot of skill involved in them. Just hard fists and hard heads.

OP
W

white dragon

what are toughman competitions? Please forgive my ignorance!

Does anyone know of an "organisation" that does full contact, but also punches to the face and allows sweeps? That I'd like to see...

OP
G

GouRonin

They vary in orgainzational skills from everything to 2 guys fighting in a cage to actual rings and weight classes.

Zoran

Black Belt
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by GouRonin

They vary in orgainzational skills from everything to 2 guys fighting in a cage to actual rings and weight classes.

Now if they could only get some tables, bar stools, beer bottles, and few broken pieces of glass on the floor in a cage or ring match.:cheers:

Latest Discussions