Bwier Kyionyea " hello everyone"

Clint Strickland

Orange Belt
Reaction score
HEy all.
My name is Clint Strickland and i'm 14 and live in Alabama. I love the study of martial arts and the ways of the samurai. i have had no real training and only do self traing, seeing as how there is no dojo anywhere that i live. i also liked to be called Tora, which means Tiger in Japonese.
thanks all.

Clint Strickland

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It's a difficult path, training without leadership; but, I wish you well in it. You should endeavor to track down a dojo, though.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Welcome! Is there truly nothing near you? No Judo at the YMCA, no senior center with Tai Chi?

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Young warrior it is a hard path to train yourself, keep focus and train.
Welcome and happy posting.
Terry

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hello again, Tora! Welcome to Martial Talk!

In almost every corner of the land there is someone who teaches martial arts. Of course, finding a school doesn't mean you've found a good school. Even so, some formal training is going to serve you well.

It's probably harder for you because I suspect that you have to rely on other ppl for transportation and payment for class. I started martial arts at 15 and had to go through a lot of gried to even start, let alone get to class each week.

It will be worth it though if you find a good school. What most ppl see in the media (movies, tv, comics, games) is so very far from the true martial arts.

I'm glad you have a genuine interest in learning martial arts. While you are searching for a school, please make yourself at home here.

There are an endless number of experienced, qualified martial artists here and many great threads. Maybe we can help you sort out some of your goals and ideas about The Art. Please ask whatever you want to know.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Greetings, Tora. I also encourage you to seek out professional training as there is nothing worse than having to break incorrect habits. You will be doing yourself a great favor by turning your training over to a pro. If you can't find Samurai training per se, surely you can find someone who applies a strict moral code to their students. Your samurai study can come just a little later after you've mastered some basics.

Welcome to MartialTalk!

OP
Clint Strickland

Clint Strickland

Orange Belt
Reaction score
There use to be a karate class but they're not here anymore and plus they was way to expensive. how much do yally have to pay per month for class's.Thanks everyone for the advice:>

OP
Clint Strickland

Clint Strickland

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. there use to be a karate class here in my town but it's not here anymore and it was to expensive, how much do yall pay for your classes???

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Clint Strickland said:
how much do yall pay for your classes???

That's a hard question, Clint. My easy answer is about $60 per month.

You have to consider some things though. First of all, if you only have one class to choose from then price is only an issue as far as affording it. You obviously can't go to a class you can't afford.

I think the question you're driving at is "Is the amount this school charges me fair?" The answer is determined by whether or not you feel you are getting quality instruction for the price.

It honestly won't take long before you can see through some guy who has little to offer but is quick to take your check.

Most schools will let you watch some classes and, often, take a class or two for free. I would take advantage of that.

If you get to go to a class but don't know if what you're being taught is "real", then ask us. There are a lot of different approaches to The Art so training methods will differ greatly.

Still, I think you'll know a fraud if the guy tells you you'll be a black belt in a year and later he'll teach you how to turn invisible and levitate.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Prices vary considerably, depending on the size of the facilities, number of classes per week, rarity of the art, etc. I'd say that paying $120/month is not uncommon, but paying half that (as I do now) is also quite common. You'll find few places at less than $40/month, unless it's through a community center or some such.

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I pay less than $40/month. It's not at all typical. My Sensei's Sensei charges $65/month. My TKD instruction was $65-$85/month. It can be costly.

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
It all depends on what the market will handle. Where I live now the $60 I mentioned is standard.

Growing up back home (just a few miles past the edge of the world) class was only $10 a month. Yes, that's right true believer! Ten Dollars!

But everyone back home is so poor we can't afford dirt. So ten dollars is reasonable.

In a more metropolitan area, I'm sure the amounts are much higher. But they should be fairly close from school to school.

Even more than the cost, be sure to carefully read any contracts thrown your way. It sucks when you know you're paying a high rate for the next 2 years for something that is a waste of your time.

OP
Clint Strickland

Clint Strickland

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Oh man ya'll have it lucky my friend took karate for 3 years and he said they charched roun $250. thats why i was asking yall to c if, they still have that school around, would it be worth it??

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
You've no doubt been around your friend a lot. How did he feel about his training? Did he seem to have developed good physical skills and an overall positive attitude?

Were there other classes around too? If so, what did they charge?

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Welcome to MT, Clint. Or Tora if you prefer. As already mentioned several times above, your hearts in the right place, and we'll all be glad to help you as much as possible, there's no substitute for a qualitied instructor to guide you. Shesulsa mentioned how difficult it is to untrain bad habits and all I can say it that's so true. I hope something opens around you in the near future.

As far as price, where you live has as much to do with cost as what type of art you want to study and how good that instruction is. That makes it a very difficult answer.

Keep us posted on your search. I hope you find what you're looking for and wish you the best!

OP
Clint Strickland

Clint Strickland

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Navarre said:
You've no doubt been around your friend a lot. How did he feel about his training? Did he seem to have developed good physical skills and an overall positive attitude?

Were there other classes around too? If so, what did they charge?

Well actual he is in good physical condition but its not becouse he does that he just grew up lol, and he hasnt takn karate for 2 years now becouse it got to expensive, and he and I have spared off and I won. I'm very good in the legs as far as kicking and submission, and I have learned more than he had and i havn teven taken any classes, but yet again i dont know what belt he was, so that does come into play.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Welcome "Tora"! It is great your heart lies in learning martial arts. There many books and videos (on learning martial arts-instructional)around to get at least some information.

Maybe one day something nearby will pop-up and you can get live training.

Many of us have started in our latter years. I was on and off for almost thirty plus years before staying with it.

Enjoy the forums......................Aloha

T

TheBattousai

Hello Tora, and welcome to MT. For the problem your in, about no local afordible schools, have you thought of corisponding with some martial art masters threw snail mail or e-mail, they may offer some form of training. In doing so you may have to visit the school atleast a few times a year, but it is possible with enough dedication that you can progress (You may also need to video tape yourself training and getting some from the instructor). But good luck, and hopefully someone may move to your town soon.

P.S. To answer the question of cost, my training is 50 a month, thought I'd throw that in there.