Butterfly or Moth?

Matthew McMullen

Green Belt
Reaction score
I was sitting at my work laptop by the window and happened to see this moth/butterfly land on the bush outside the window so I figured I would see if I could get a good picture of it through the window. I think it is a bit blurry but not bad considering I took it through a double pane window.

butterfly.jpg

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Nice shot considering the circumstances :D. It's a butterfly by the way ... I think :lol:

Butterflies tend to rest with their wings up and closed together but they do open and shut them at irregular intervals. Moths keep their wings open and flat and also have more feathery antennae. Moths are mostly out at night too but that is not a hard and fast rule by any means :).

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Nice shot considering the circumstances :D. It's a butterfly by the way ... I think :lol:

Butterflies tend to rest with their wings up and closed together but they do open and shut them at irregular intervals. Moths keep their wings open and flat and also have more feathery antennae. Moths are mostly out at night too but that is not a hard and fast rule by any means :).
Agreed it's a butterfly.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
The family entomologist votes "butterfly" with the proviso that the distinction between butterflies and moths is only slightly more useful than the one between frogs and toads. Which is to say, pretty arbitrary.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"Vanessa Atalanta" or Red Admiral butterfly.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I thought it was a Red Admiral, Tez :D. I didn't know if they had them in America tho' so I shushed myself rather than show my ignorance :lol:.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought it was a Red Admiral, Tez :D. I didn't know if they had them in America tho' so I shushed myself rather than show my ignorance :lol:.

I have a large ivy growing/covering up my shed walls and often get Red Admirals there quite well on into autumn, it also feeds and shelters bees over the winter.
Always liked flutterbys and when I was a Brownie I learned how to recognise as many as possible (as well as how to set fire to inanimate objects lol)

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Interesting shot. Looks like the blur is more from it focusing on something other than the butterfly with a low depth of field.

Latest Discussions