Butterfly Knives Demo'd by Benny Meng

wckf92

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I've heard he has had a lot of teachers over the years, and if true, it makes one wonder which sword form/method he is subscribing to in the video posted...

OP
K

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've heard he has had a lot of teachers over the years, and if true, it makes one wonder which sword form/method he is subscribing to in the video posted...

Yes! Hard to say! He has done Ip Man Wing Chun under Moy Yat, Hung Fa Yi under Garret Gee, and the "Black Flag Eng Chun."

OP
K

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score

Yes! Hard to say! He has done Ip Man Wing Chun under Moy Yat, Hung Fa Yi under Garret Gee, and the "Black Flag Eng Chun."

OP
K

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
Anyone who promotes themselves to "grandmaster" isn't worth taking seriously.

Well, he is a professional martial arts instructor, head of his own organization with multiple generations of students under him. I guess it just depends on how you want to define "grandmaster." In some circles, just having students that have students that are teaching is enough to be called "grandmaster."

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
In some circles, just having students that have students that are teaching is enough to be called "grandmaster."

...or just having a really big ego. That's enough for a lot of people. :D

Reactions: KPM

DanT

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Grandmaster is a legitimate title if people earn it and are called it by others. If you have students who have students, to them you are their "si-gung" which roughly translates as grandfather / grandmaster. Some people are given the title by their students / organization / other organizations. I'm pretty sure Benny Meng has students who have students who have students, and I doubt he stylized himself as "grandmaster", and I strongly doubt he uploaded the video with the title "grandmaster" on it (it was probably one of his students). From a skill point of view, Benny Meng is very talented. If his students students call him "grandmaster" , more to him. I personally doubt I would ever use the title (even master is a bit much honestly), but I think in the future, if I have 100 students who have become sifus under me, who have Sifu's under them, and I do things to contribute to Wing Chun in the world today, and my students students students choose to call me grandmaster, then I'll have no problem with it.

DanT

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Anyone who promotes themselves to "grandmaster" isn't worth taking seriously.
I agree with you, but I don't think he promoted himself to "grandmaster", but was rather granted the title by another organization as he has students who have students who have students.

DanT

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
You and I clearly value very different things when it comes to Wing Chun performance.

+1
Not necessarily, I actually don't like this style of performance (guy pokes you with a stick and you do a million moves). I prefer live demonstrations, and do them quite frequently myself actually.

Anarax

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
No disrespect to GM Meng, but the weapons demonstration looks a little sloppy. He's movements lack commitment and purpose. When his student has the staff and is withing striking distance, Meng drops his hands down, thus his weapons must travel a longer distance to parry the staff and counter attack. His legs are locked out a lot and not bent in a ready stance, this makes his movements look a half second too late. I know nothing of GM Meng, thus I'm only basing what I see off the demo.

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
Grandmaster is a legitimate title if people earn it and are called it by others. If you have students who have students, to them you are their "si-gung" which roughly translates as grandfather / grandmaster. Some people are given the title by their students / organization / other organizations. I'm pretty sure Benny Meng has students who have students who have students, and I doubt he stylized himself as "grandmaster", and I strongly doubt he uploaded the video with the title "grandmaster" on it (it was probably one of his students). From a skill point of view, Benny Meng is very talented. If his students students call him "grandmaster" , more to him. I personally doubt I would ever use the title (even master is a bit much honestly), but I think in the future, if I have 100 students who have become sifus under me, who have Sifu's under them, and I do things to contribute to Wing Chun in the world today, and my students students students choose to call me grandmaster, then I'll have no problem with it.

I agree with you. I met Benny Meng in 1997 or so, at a seminar with Ip Ching at Cichon's Wing Chun in Albany. He was great back then. Probably better now with 20 more years of experience.

Latest Discussions