Bunkai in Pyung Ahn Sa Dan (videos)

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This thread is dedicated to bunkai in the hyung Pyung Ahn Sa Dan. This form is the 4th out of a set of five forms that stress the concept of peaceful confidence or peaceful mind. I will demonstrate a few applications and then post the whole hyung so others can discuss other moves in it. Please comment on the applications I post below...constructive criticism is welcome.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This is the opening sequence in the form. Notice the repetition of the first technique on both sides followed by the 2nd technique. What applications do you see?

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Here is one application for the first technique. The videos posted below show it from both sides so that its easier to see the whole thing. What do you think?

Attachments

• $Pyung Ahn Sa Dan Ill Soo Shik 1a.AVI
    842.6 KB · Views: 234
  • $Pyung Ahn Sa Dan Ill Soo Shik 1b.AVI
    737.7 KB · Views: 206
OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
Nice fluid movements and sharpe.
Terry

Thanks, check out the application for these techniques. I really like this one because if one misses the wrist lock, one can still do a lot of other techniques. There are a lot of variations.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
When you take him down would it not be better to turn the arm so the back part of the elbow would be against your own leg so it would be easier to break, with one quick yank in a downward motion, coming across your leg.

I'm enjoying all the pics by the way. I'am not trying to offend anybody eithe rjust an obsevation.
Terry

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
When you take him down would it not be better to turn the arm so the back part of the elbow would be against your own leg so it would be easier to break, with one quick yank in a downward motion, coming across your leg.

I'm enjoying all the pics by the way. I'am not trying to offend anybody eithe rjust an obsevation.
Terry

One of the parts of this technique is the way I tuck my foot under the uke's shoulder. This stance controls the elbow by blocking the ways that it can move. When I center this lock under my center of gravity, the uke's arm is stretched out and the wrist is twisted to a point where moving the elbow only increases the pain. Breaking the joint from here is only a matter of dropping my weight...it doesn't require much strength. A child could break my wrist in this position with this technique.

Thanks for your comments thus far...

:)

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
upnorthkyosa said:
One of the parts of this technique is the way I tuck my foot under the uke's shoulder. This stance controls the elbow by blocking the ways that it can move. When I center this lock under my center of gravity, the uke's arm is stretched out and the wrist is twisted to a point where moving the elbow only increases the pain. Breaking the joint from here is only a matter of dropping my weight...it doesn't require much strength. A child could break my wrist in this position with this technique.

Thanks for your comments thus far...

:)

Ok that makes since, by the way this is more of a wrist lock than an elbow break, then it makes perfect since to me.
Terry

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Nice applications UpNorthKyosa!

How about this one: your left high block to opponent/uke's right high punch while your right hand is a spearhand strike to the eyes before wrapping around the neck. As you block with your left, you grab the uke's right arm and you push down on the neck with your right hand as your left arm comes across your center (this is Kali/Silat's puter capalla throw).

Miles

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Miles said:
Nice applications UpNorthKyosa!

How about this one: your left high block to opponent/uke's right high punch while your right hand is a spearhand strike to the eyes before wrapping around the neck. As you block with your left, you grab the uke's right arm and you push down on the neck with your right hand as your left arm comes across your center (this is Kali/Silat's puter capalla throw).

Miles

That sounds great. I would really love to see that throw in action.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This is the closing move in Pyung Ahn Sa Dan. What applications do you see?

Attachments

• $Closing Move in Pyung Ahn Sa Dan.AVI
    444 KB · Views: 214
OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This is one option for the above technique. There are others.

Attachments

• $Pyung Ahn Sa Dan Ill Soo Shik 2.AVI
    742.8 KB · Views: 194

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Upnorthkyosa,

Your application is exactly as I have taught that sequence.

Miles

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
Oh, that's great! That's one of the forms I have to do for my brown belt test that is coming up. I never saw the forms broken down until I changed classes, and that sheds more light. I have to come up with a series of counters as well, for my test. That gives me more ideas, even if I don't use the exact moves, now I understand them better. Thanks again!

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
tkdgirl said:
Oh, that's great! That's one of the forms I have to do for my brown belt test that is coming up. I never saw the forms broken down until I changed classes, and that sheds more light. I have to come up with a series of counters as well, for my test. That gives me more ideas, even if I don't use the exact moves, now I understand them better. Thanks again!

I'm glad I can help. I'm going to post more in the future so keep checking back on this forum!

Reaction score
John,
For some reason, I was unable to open any of the links. Can you burn them on to a disk and send them to me to view?

Thank you,

Master Jay S. Penfil

TANG SOO!!!

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
My computer doesn't play them directly either. I need to right click on the files and save them to my desktop and then open them from there before they will play. Give that a try...

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I looked at these in December, but have only just now recognized these moves. You call it "Pyung Ahn Sa Dan" , we call it "Pinan 4" (Shaolin Kempo) :) Slightly different, but basically the same.

Can you post the entire form, please?

-David

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
DavidCC said:
I looked at these in December, but have only just now recognized these moves. You call it "Pyung Ahn Sa Dan" , we call it "Pinan 4" (Shaolin Kempo) :) Slightly different, but basically the same.

Can you post the entire form, please?

-David

Here is the entire form. Check it out lets talk about some other applications.

http://www.martialtalk.com/videos/jk_pyungahnsadan.avi

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Sweet! :ubercool: My new video camera will be here soon I will record our version. It is so similar and yet so different. For example, you have 3 steps gong forward, ours moves backwards! After the backfist, facing to 430 and 730, we use cat stances. In fact, ours has cats everywhere! I think Nick Cerio did that...

But anyway look for a much-less-polished version of this kata this weekend. I don't know where I can host it so I might just have to email it to you, is that OK? I have only been learning this form since November so I mostly only have the most obvious applications...

Latest Discussions