Bunkai genuine?

Teresa Wyatt

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi Teresa! Welcome to MartialTalk. I'd suggest you make a post in the Meet and Greet section to introduce yourself and then make another post asking your question about learning forms in the General Martial Arts section so that as many people see it as possible.

Personally, I doubt that anyone has published any academic research on a correlation between natural ability in math and the ability to quickly learn forms. It's possible that such a correlation exists, but I'm skeptical. Even if there is such a correlation, it's quite possibly due to both attributes being correlated with some other factor such as general memory which could aid in both domains.

If I had to guess, I'd suspect that the biggest difference between those who pick up forms quickly vs those who don't would be the quality and quantity of practice outside of class.

BTW - am I correct in interpreting your question to be asking about why some folks memorize the steps in a form easier than others? It seems to me that whether such memorization is easy or hard for an individual, the time required to memorize the steps is still trivial compared to the time it takes to get really good at the form.
A large part of it is s matter of interest.
When I first studied Tae Kwon Do, in 1969, I didn't really care about forms. I liked sparring. And breaking. I learned forms only as required for promotion, and didn't work at them much outside of class. As a result, I learned slowly. Now, a few years later (ok, more than a few), I enjoy forms and put a lot more effort into them. As a result, I learn them quickly.

Sent from an old fashioned 300 baud acoustic modem by whistling into the handset. Not TapaTalk. Really.
Thank you

Teresa Wyatt

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi Teresa! Welcome to MartialTalk. I'd suggest you make a post in the Meet and Greet section to introduce yourself and then make another post asking your question about learning forms in the General Martial Arts section so that as many people see it as possible.

Personally, I doubt that anyone has published any academic research on a correlation between natural ability in math and the ability to quickly learn forms. It's possible that such a correlation exists, but I'm skeptical. Even if there is such a correlation, it's quite possibly due to both attributes being correlated with some other factor such as general memory which could aid in both domains.

If I had to guess, I'd suspect that the biggest difference between those who pick up forms quickly vs those who don't would be the quality and quantity of practice outside of class.

BTW - am I correct in interpreting your question to be asking about why some folks memorize the steps in a form easier than others? It seems to me that whether such memorization is easy or hard for an individual, the time required to memorize the steps is still trivial compared to the time it takes to get really good at the form.
Thank you, Sir.

Teresa Wyatt

White Belt
Reaction score
24th year...wow.....impressive...that would be.....let me see...using a little math..... 18 years ago for me....there be old people here with a lot of experience...you should probably be made aware of that.

Based on your responses you seem to already feel you already know why and are not looking so much for assistance as you are looking for support for your hypothesis.

Oh and for the record...I am a sir
Well? Sir!! That is what a scientist does. If it doesn't pan out? One moves on to the next! I am asking those with more teaching experience if they have noticed the ease of some and the challenges of others. Then, has anyone thought of why? I DO think I should look at how all learn anything mostly in dance and music. I had what I thought was a rather simple question from one only 23 or 4 years into this. Funny how a medical surgeon can chop into a patient with much less experience. I do not think I am anything but a student of the art...I simply want to understand the teaching of forms. My project in a Manwa or Manga cartoon book ( my second ) on the tenets of TKD for kids. It was suggested this would be a good paper as I asked my Grandmaster and he said GO and find out. I am simply doing as he asked. With respect.........always.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well? Sir!! That is what a scientist does. If it doesn't pan out? One moves on to the next! I am asking those with more teaching experience if they have noticed the ease of some and the challenges of others. Then, has anyone thought of why? I DO think I should look at how all learn anything mostly in dance and music. I had what I thought was a rather simple question from one only 23 or 4 years into this. Funny how a medical surgeon can chop into a patient with much less experience. I do not think I am anything but a student of the art...I simply want to understand the teaching of forms. My project in a Manwa or Manga cartoon book ( my second ) on the tenets of TKD for kids. It was suggested this would be a good paper as I asked my Grandmaster and he said GO and find out. I am simply doing as he asked. With respect.........always.

Um... I'm sorry, but are you under the impression that what you're doing here is in any way "science?"
Because it's not. Not even remotely.

Sent from an old fashioned 300 baud acoustic modem by whistling into the handset. Not TapaTalk. Really.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK some strange posting here, can anyone explain for me because I'm obviously missing something here? What's these posts just saying 'pilsung' about?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's Korean for "certain victory" but I have absolutely no idea what the relevance to this thread is.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's Korean for "certain victory" but I have absolutely no idea what the relevance to this thread is.

Interesting. I do think posting a new thread would get more answers because this is quite an old one and specifically about bunkai so I'm not sure the people who may have answers would be looking here.

Argus

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score

If we take a look at psychological functions, I would say that people with a strong preference for Extroverted Sensing, that is, a preference for information taken in from the outside world through concrete senses, tend to have the best memory, and easily memorize forms, patterns, and sequences that others don't.

The exact opposite of this would be Extroverted Intuitive types, such as myself, who tend to always be taking in general impressions, focusing on the "big picture." Intuition is more about seeing connections, impressions, possibilities, and overall meaning or intent. So, I tend to be very good at getting a "feel" for how things work if I have a chance to play with it, but when learning formalized sequences of techniques, I struggle to remember anything. I literally can't remember something without tying it to a relevant context. Though, that's a part of Introverted Sensing as well, which is an inferior/supporting function that Extroverted Intuitive types generally share.

As for the point about Geometry, I couldn't disagree more. I'm not generally good at math because it's difficult for me to remember and think through long sequences of numbers, but Geometry is one area that I am good at due to the visualizing aspect, and ability to "look at the big picture," if you will.

So, in short, it's more to do with psychology, I believe. People learn and remember things in different ways, and some arts have an approach to certain things that are perhaps better suited to some types than others.

OP
TSDTexan

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Just finished reading "An introduction to applied karate" by Iain Abernathy. This guy... has a gift.

Latest Discussions