Bullying in Schools

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Sin said:
I understand and agree with you that you shouldn't have to watch your back at school and learn to survive because your studies are VERY important and being in school myself I know this. But If I told my parents that we should move or change schools every time I ran into a bully, they would laugh at me. now my parents are very loving people and they only want the best for me, but there is nothing they can do besides talk to the principal and/or the childs parent(s). Outside of that its all up to me. I have had many problems with a bully, but if you run the bully has more fun, and also has bragging rights to his fellow bully friends, and thats just going to make things worse for you.

What i am saying is that you should fight if you must, never turn your back to a potental threat. And always use the least force necessary to disable your opponet/attacker. Honor will come from this.
Yes true, but talking to the bully's parents isn't always the best thing to do. I've known some bullies to have abusive parents and it might make it worse for the bully as soon as he and Dad (or Mom) are alone again. Family secrets.
Then the bully depending upon his disposition may come back to school the next day and find the "tattle-tale" and go up on them worse. I've known, seen this happen. The bully went to jail because he sent the (same) kid to the hospital. Sometimes bullies are pampered rich kids, knowing that "Daddy's Lawyers will get them out of any trouble".
It's amazing at the shapes and sizes and ages that bullies come in. The different socioeconomic backgrounds and home environments.
But all that is for us adults to ponder/wonder about. Some kids are just trying to get through the day without getting their asses kicked. They'll be glad it was that kid the bully picked on and not them, but always wake up in the morning wondering if their day is today.
Agreed, kids should NOT have to live/study/learn in such a hostile environment. But some do, I did and I'm guessing that many of you had to deal with "that Jerk from third period" at one point in your school careers or another.
We can shrug it all off as part of growing up. Building character but it's, as we all know, the wrong way to go about it.
Seems that drunken mistress is doing everything she (as a loving parent) can and her boy is too. Learning (ANY) Martial Art will definitely tip the scales in his favor in the long run.

T

TonyM.

I'm old enough to remember when three whacks with the drilled oak paddle in the hallway was enough to tame most bullies. Too bad well meaning idiots spoiled that and turned our schools into combat zones.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Three? Damn you was lucky. Our teachers did at least five whacks with the same type "drilled oak paddle in the hallway" and that was just for swearing outloud in the classroom. :rolleyes:

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sin said:
I understand and agree with you that you shouldn't have to watch your back at school and learn to survive because your studies are VERY important and being in school myself I know this. But If I told my parents that we should move or change schools every time I ran into a bully, they would laugh at me. now my parents are very loving people and they only want the best for me, but there is nothing they can do besides talk to the principal and/or the childs parent(s). Outside of that its all up to me. I have had many problems with a bully, but if you run the bully has more fun, and also has bragging rights to his fellow bully friends, and thats just going to make things worse for you.

What i am saying is that you should fight if you must, never turn your back to a potental threat. And always use the least force necessary to disable your opponet/attacker. Honor will come from this.

Yes, there are cetainly going to be bullies in every school. Its no different than at work...there will always be someone there that you never quite see eye to eye with. I'll say again though, that while he is getting picked on by one bully, the entire school is violent. Whats to say that when one problem is solved, another one starts. Even when I was in school, there were fights, but again, I never had to worry about someone cutting my finger off. It seems that nobody,especially at the school, cares what happens to the children, which is very sad IMO. How much learning can be done in that kind of environment? Are the parents not concerned for the welfare of the kids?

We have listed options that are available, and it appears that the only way to handle the situation is for her son to learn to defend himself, by any means available, and just be able to accept the end results.

Mike

R

rox

It's a real shame. People should take these things seriously... If the law can't protect you, you'll have to do it yourself. If your son can peform the defensive stuff well, it won't matter how good the opponent kicks are. But if it's not the case, maybe you should really move.

Would it be any good if you call the cops?

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
MJS said:
Yes, there are cetainly going to be bullies in every school. Its no different than at work...there will always be someone there that you never quite see eye to eye with. I'll say again though, that while he is getting picked on by one bully, the entire school is violent. Whats to say that when one problem is solved, another one starts. Even when I was in school, there were fights, but again, I never had to worry about someone cutting my finger off. It seems that nobody,especially at the school, cares what happens to the children, which is very sad IMO. How much learning can be done in that kind of environment? Are the parents not concerned for the welfare of the kids?

We have listed options that are available, and it appears that the only way to handle the situation is for her son to learn to defend himself, by any means available, and just be able to accept the end results.

Mike

IMO, I don't think it's the case that the (other) parents of the school kids don't care. It is reasonable to make the assumption that most parents truly care for their children's welfare. But then how many of those kids are coming home and relating to what's going on in regards to the violence that they see/experience on a daily basis? Probably a lot, probably not too many, for us (Americans) it's an unknown. Or perhaps the parents do know but simply accept it as a fact of life because they themselves witnessed/experienced the violence while they were going through their respective schools and simply accept it as a way of life?
It's in America that parents seem to get all bent out of shape when their kid comes home with a shiner or a bloody nose. The American parent will seem to call their lawyer first before calling their doctor.
Whenever I got into a fight at school, the principal would first assess the situation and then call my parents and then if it's early enough in the day and if possible, my dad would drive over to the school and get the report from the principal first hand and then they would discuss the "right and wrong" of the situation and I would either go on with the rest of the day or simply be sent home with my dad, who by the time we got home got my side of the story and then tell me either to avoid the kid next time or beat the living crap out of them. :D Ahh the good 'ole days. I don't think my dad even once considered calling an attorney anymore than the parent of the kid I got into it with. Kids fight and that's how things are... were.
It would appear that Euro-parents are less inclined to accept (not necessarily LIKE) the situation than to go running off to their lawyers three or four times a week. Like I said it's an unknown. :idunno:
Not everyone here on MT is American. Honestly I'd like to hear from parents who reside in European countries with their take on this discussion. We've heard from drunken mistress, I'd like to hear from others if their kids are going through the same thing or not and what countries they're from.

R

rox

MACaver, I'm from Brazil. It's not Europe, but it's also not US :p

Here, any kind of soft agression means at least a week suspension. A fight is most likely ending in an expulsion.

Sin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I belive that Drunken Misstress should tell her son to do what he feels is right, and follow is heart. Leave the choice up to him and his mother will just have to honor her son's choice.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
MACaver said:
IMO, I don't think it's the case that the (other) parents of the school kids don't care. It is reasonable to make the assumption that most parents truly care for their children's welfare.

Good point Sir. I guess where I was trying to go was...yes, you're correct, we are only hearing from one person who is having this problem. I'm sure that other parents care about their kids, but you'd think that if many parents were complaining to the school about this problem, that something would be done about it.

I guess unless we're there to exp. what its like first hand, we most likely will not have a true feeling of what its like to deal with that everyday.

Mike

An Eternal Student

Orange Belt
Reaction score
The kid shouldnt simply fight the bully.A trading of blows back and forth isnt going to stop this.He needs to take the bully down, take him down hard, and make sure the bully knows he's outclassed.In general the attitude of European parents is to let children sort it out between them.Im Irish, and the only question my parents ever asked me when I'd been in a fight was "Did you win?".

Latest Discussions