Bullet Proof Monk

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Great show for a matinee. I enjoyed it, but it is what it is. Matrix type generated special effects, with some pretty good action and Kung-Fu, mixed in.

You could tell from the guns on the car who co-directed the movie.

-Michael

OP
B

brianhunter

Originally posted by Sharp Phil
My review of Bulletproof Monk. Caution -- spoilers!

http://www.philelmore.com/moviereviews/m08.htm

Sir,
I am really getting to the point that I look forward to reading your articles :) Keep up the good work! I really enjoyed the movie, and Mr Billings was right, it is definately worth a $4-$5 matinee, just not a date night ;) Sometimes we just need simple entertainment not an epic!

This was also an adaption from a comic book, all good comic books have evil nazis trying to rule the world and a hero passing on a legacy (think captain america here).

I will definately buy the DVD and continue to resist the urge to call "Kar" "Stiffler" LOL

OP
B

brianhunter

Originally posted by moromoro
i hate the fact that stiffler is doing action

Stiffler wasn't bad, he was actually pretty funny there is a good fight scene with him using a staff (pipe) against his enemies that played out very cool

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The review by Phil Elmore was very accurate and correct. But it sure makes it sound a lot less enjoyable than I found it. I am glad you prefaced it the way you did Phil or I would have un-taken myself to the movies.

Oss,
-Michael

pesilat

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
*** attempt at quasi philosophical wit ... may fall on face ***
My only issue with the review, Phil, was the implication that, in the movieverse, all the various things happen in the same movieverse. For instance, all the temples with powerful scrolls and all the hard-edged cops with sidekick partners. I don't think they all exist in the same movieverse. I think there are many alternate movieverses and that each version we see is simply another movieverse's parallel to the others.

So, there is really only one such scroll or hard-edged cop. These are the archetypes. But each archetype has a physical manifestation (parallel counterparts) in many movieverses.

So, from this perspective, I don't encounter many of the problems you discuss (i.e.: wondering when the "Ancient Ones" would wisen up and stop making the silly things).

But that's just me :)

*** hope it didn't splat too hard ***

Seriously, though, I enjoyed your review and thought that it was pretty accurate.

But, for me, in the final assessment, I enjoyed the movie and found it entertaining ... and since that's why I go to the movies in the first place, I think it was an excellent movie. It did its job :)

Mike

pesilat

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
oh yeah stiffler doing a MA movie thats realistic!!!!

When movies start being realistic, I'll stop watching them :)

I get plenty of reality every day. I'm at the movies to be entertaining.

A movie is a story. The story has a "reality" of its own. So long as the characters, plot, setting, etc. are believable within the structure of the "reality" defined by the story, then it's a good story.

If a story is set in a world where magic works then a wizard is believable. But it's not "reality" :)

I thought that BPM did a good job sticking to its own "reality." Though there were some things (pointed out in Phil's article) that were a little shaky in this regard. But I personally didn't feel that any of them were enough to topple the deck of cards.

Mike

OP
M

MinnieMin

that may be so

BUT WHEN STIFFLER HAS THE LEAD IN A MA FILM I STOP WATCHING THAT FILM ALSO

terry

Funny, you really dislike this actor. Why? :)
I thought he was not bad in this movie, and it's really fun to watch his some goofy moves (showing off); quite entertaining.

pesilat

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
dont get me wrong i love the man, american pie 1 is my favorite comedy of all time, i love stiffler

but it is an outrage to see him take the lead on this MA movie!

Well, as was mentioned earlier ... he's not the lead MArtist ... Chow Yun Fat is. Sean William Scott (Stiffler) is more like "Daniel-San" in the Karate Kid flicks.

He's not "Stiffler" in this movie at all. He's an entirely different character and the two have absolutely nothing in common.

The "Stiffler" character has no place in a martial arts movie. You're right. But he's not in this movie at all. "Stiffler" is just a character portrayed by Sean William Scott. In this movie, Sean William Scott plays "Kar" ... a street-wise punk with a penchant for picking pockets. He's as much "Stiffler" as you or I.

Mike

Samurai

Blue Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
You can find this movie on Ebay already (DVD). How is that possible, besides someone taking a cam into the movie theather ?

Thanks
Jeremy Bays

pesilat

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Samurai
You can find this movie on Ebay already (DVD). How is that possible, besides someone taking a cam into the movie theather ?

Thanks
Jeremy Bays

Someone probably took a camer into the movie theater ;)

Mike

Latest Discussions