Building your ideal martial arts training grounds

OP
O

Obsidian Fury

Orange Belt
Reaction score
A hill and quarters/ inside training areas and a firing range. (obviously layers upon layers of razor wire and trenches along the outskirts to stop anyone from le.. entering)

Sounds good to me!

OP
O

Obsidian Fury

Orange Belt
Reaction score
To be honest, I can't get my brain around having that much space. I'm used to modest environs and limited quarters and my system works well for that. I suppose in addition to the little space I need to practice my art, someplace with some gym equipment, bags/dummies, etc. A nice place to have some tea.

For self defense training, I would highly value the ability to simulate different environments: rooms, buildings, bus stops, etc. Maybe change things out like a movie set (assuming I wasn't training alone). I think Marc MacYoung had done things like that.

We just don't have that kind of space out here, but we make the most of what we've got.

Movie stages sound awesome really like the idea.

OP
O

Obsidian Fury

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I'll put up a weight pulley,

a hanging pole,

and a small kicking tree.

I love it, the weight pulley looks great for uchibkomis, the hang pole looks great to strenght the core and the little tree is like a makiwara.

OP
O

Obsidian Fury

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Wonder if he ever built it? The area was about 75' x 75'. Here's most of mine, I"ve built in the last couple of weeks. Wooden Man was free, built out of a wooden stool legs, the Ip Man Saloon free, built out of scrap lumber. Bridge over troubled water free, 70 lb bag got on sale for $59. Anyway, ever in Colorado, come on by and saddle up at the Ip Man Bruce Lee Saloon. View attachment 21727 View attachment 21728

That looks awesome, lots of fresh air. I might do something similar with my piece of land.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I guess you could fit part of an olympic swimming pool there cool idea.
It doesn’t have to be an Olympic sized pool. Just big enough for you and everyone else you live with to enjoy.

An you can do MA stuff in there too. Stretching, kicking, punching, kata, etc. all take on a different dynamic. And they’re harder to do and will strengthen.

If you’re going to get one piece of dedicated MA equipment, get a heavy bag IMO.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
easy. bags (heavy, speed, crazy), mats, some mits and shields, and an octagon. Maybe some weights and a pull up bar.
Yeah, pretty close to this. Maybe a pavilion area for the mats to train in rainy weather. Add some more upper body tools (climbing rope, ladder traverse, those heavy ropes used in crossfit, etc.), some obstacles to jump (just low walls or something, for explosive leg power). A nice spider-proof storage box for gloves, mitts, weapons, and stuff. Oh, and make the area not entirely flat - give me a moderately steep hill in one direction for other exercises. Maybe throw in a throwing dummy, because why not.

OP
O

Obsidian Fury

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I first though of a dojo like this:

This is from the Marco Polo TV Show from netflix look at the dojo is awesome.

And the rest of the space instal apparatus for strength, skill, and conditioning. Also maybe a warehouse.

MxcnPhoenix

White Belt
Reaction score
If you were able to get hold of 5,500 ft2 of open space right in your backyard. What would you build/install to make your ideal training grounds for the martial art that you practice? The terrain is in the open, flat, and has nothing but dirt, just one big square of space. Your budget is tight so be creative. Said training grounds are for your private use only.

I've been thinking about this idea A LOT lately as my wife and I have been designing and re-designing (ad nauseam) our dream home. I've been graciously granted as much of the backyard as I please to design my ideal training space (provided I leave room for some non-negotiable items lol). I've discovered that being creative on a budget is an absolute must for this kind of thing (my favorite design would cost over $150,000!!!). But I think the big thing for me is making sure that it's in a building that's insulated (because I don't winter very well) and that it has: an 8' pull up bar, my gymnastics rings, my parallettes, my heavy bag, a Wing Chun wooden man/dummy, some mats, my assortment of training weapons, and an open area where I can practice forms, throw down mats to grapple, etc.

Given the budget: I'll throw in a spring floor for gymnastics/tumbling training, a foam pit for acrobatics, stall bars, a fully stocked power rack, an artificial turf strip, a prowler sled, 120' heavy rope, weapons racks, some specialty rehab tools I use at the Chiro's office, a bathroom, and a loft area to host my office and library. ;)

Latest Discussions