building faster kicks

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I just would like to know if anybody knows any techniques that help to build the speed of a kick I.E. roundhouse, sidekick,spinkick,backkick,ect. God Bless America

F

FatherHiei

yes god bless america, lord knows we need it.....

um but as for kicks try attaching resistance bands to your foot then a wall, bag, furniture, et cetera then perform the kicks with as much resistance as you can handle, build up your speed till you can do them with the bands on as fast as you could normally do them with no resistance then up the resistance and rinse and repeat...

should help. also just doing the kicks repeatedly, preferably against something, such as a bag, will build muscle mass and help with balance, timing, depth perseption, and accuracy.

hope it helps, bon chance with ure training

M

markulous

I was researching this not too long ago and found out really the only way to improve your kicking speed is just to kick. I wish there was a better way, it's hard to kick sometimes with a kneecap that has been popped out.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
I just would like to know if anybody knows any techniques that help to build the speed of a kick I.E. roundhouse, sidekick,spinkick,backkick,ect. God Bless America
Divide your kicks into two parts. Pay attention to part 1. Part 2. is the easy part. An example would be to lose the idea of peuroetting(sp) a spinnig back kick. Its turn to achevive desired position(reverse bow or even reverse close kneel) then do a simple back kick. One... Two
Sean

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
3 words - practice, practice, practice

We do thousands of front kicks - 6000 takes one hour. Don't have to be hard, just touch at belt level. Round kick too, but 100 per leg, switch legs, do again. Same for spin side, turn your spinning foot 90-180 deg. to the back and follow your leg and kick to the bag, on target - over and over. Build strength, flexibility, balance. Speed comes with practice. That resistance band is a good idea too, it is harder so you get tired faster.

psi_radar

Black Belt
Reaction score
I'll attest that the resistance bands are effective. I use The Door Gym. It's a mechanism with long bungees that strap to a door and have attachments for your ankles and handles for your hands. You can also do crunches and other exercisees with this setup.

Slow kicks help develop good technique which will ultimately speed your kicks. Just do your usual kicks in super slow motion. Hard huh? This exposes the flaws in your technique and balance that can be glossed over by speed and power. As with anything else, repetition will improve the results.

OP
terryl965

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
thank you psi radar the input is appreciated God Bless America

Latest Discussions