Building and using shooting barricades

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
yea, that looks like i built it in a hurry

Meh...

It does the job.

I think all you really need is an environment to work out the basic concepts.

Which is mostly about where do I need to be to have the highest percentage chance of shooting someone without getting shot.

A flash barricade vs a shoddy one does about the same thing. I am mostly just trying to cut advantageous angles without exposing myself to other people doing same.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
So this is what we made.
View attachment 22966

Do y'all work at shooting 6-10 feet behind the barrier?

Seems like everyone wants to get right up against the barricades when shooting but often times standing back away from it gives you some advantages.

Also often times going straight across and then moving up to the next barrier while firing is better instead of moving directly to the barrier.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
i understand what curbs look like.

, im not mocking it or you, but it is difficult not to be slightly amused by someone preparing for urban warfare, by building accoutrements not found in a urban environment and insisting that despite their complete absence from the likely field of battle this is a good investment in time money and effort.

i bet your dressing up in camouflage as well
Considering most of us can't afford to build full scale barricades solely for practice, let alone having the acreage that would require, scaled mock ups are the logical solution.
How it this so hard to figure out?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Do y'all work at shooting 6-10 feet behind the barrier?

Seems like everyone wants to get right up against the barricades when shooting but often times standing back away from it gives you some advantages.

Also often times going straight across and then moving up to the next barrier while firing is better instead of moving directly to the barrier.

This is for gellball. So we also run around like mongs mostly.

But yeah we do the in the shadow of the barrier thing mostly. I have a really short gun so I can just sit a barrel length back and just sort of sip out an inch or so and shoot.

6 feet back might work better at range. I have the problem where people are either getting beside me or behind me. Because everyone is really mobile

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Considering most of us can't afford to build full scale barricades solely for practice, let alone having the acreage that would require, scaled mock ups are the logical solution.
How it this so hard to figure out?
half a dozen pallets, as DB did, arranged in walls of curbs would seem to give a more closer approximation than that comic apparatus, that not going to either cost much or take up a lot of space

but practising hiding behind things is of limited use if no one is firing at you, which again makes DBs suggestion of paintball or air soft a much better bet for the aspiring urban warrior

my brief flirtation with airsoft revealed,that if you can shoot them, they can almost certainly shoot you. this may be more difficult with a purpose built barricade, but again these are not common when a mass shooting breaks out in the shopping centre

Last edited:

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
half a dozen pallets, as DB did, arranged in walls of curbs would seem to give a more closer approximation than that comic apparatus, that not going to either cost much or take up a lot of space

but practising hiding behind things is of limited use if no one is firing at you, which again makes DBs suggestion of paintball or air soft a much better bet for the aspiring urban warrior

my brief flirtation with airsoft revealed,that if you can shoot them, they can almost certainly shoot you. this may be more difficult with a purpose built barricade, but again these are not common when a mass shooting breaks out in the shopping centre

Again....the point of the apparatus is to work on from shooting from different body positions and rests. Its not for practising hiding behind stuff.

That apparatus is much easier to mover around then dozens of pallets.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Again....the point of the apparatus is to work on from shooting from different body positions and rests. Its not for practising hiding behind stuff.

That apparatus is much easier to mover around then dozens of pallets.
what do you want to move it around for ? and it doesnt look at all easy to move around !

and if its not for hiding behind why is the guy in the pic hiding behind it ?

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
To move it around your range based on what you are doing.
it seems easier to move the target ? it still doesn't look easy to move, certainly no easier than a pallet, 6 pallets gives you 6 paces of equipment, to hide behind,

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
it seems easier to move the target ? it still doesn't look easy to move, certainly no easier than a pallet, 6 pallets gives you 6 paces of equipment, to hide behind,

Targets are fixed so that you are shooting towards a safe back drop.

1 plywood barricade is only 1 piece of equipment you have to move instead of 6.

Again....its not about hiding....its about practicing firing positions.

And to clarify I'm talking about this Barricade
download-jpeg-jpg.22963

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Targets are fixed so that you are shooting towards a safe back drop.

1 plywood barricade is only 1 piece of equipment you have to move instead of 6.

Again....its not about hiding....its about practicing firing positions.

And to clarify I'm talking about this Barricade
download-jpeg-jpg.22963
no you have one pallet to move, 6 is 6 pieces of equipment that cover all the situations that the one doesn't

if you do move 6 pallets its far more than 6 times better than that for preparing you for urban assault, so is more than a good investment of spending 5 mins moving them

though to be honest i still dont see what benefit moving them has, if you put them in the right place at the beginning, but then a small and very cheap pallet truck may be of assistance, if yout too in-firmed to actually move a pallet a few dozen yards, but then if your that in firmed you cant move the other thing either

ive seen combat troops training moving various bit of wood around for no apparent reason than it helps them be better combat troops, so they possibly need to look how the professionals train and incorporate pallet moving in to their day

and again if its not about hiding, why is the guy in the picture hiding behind it ?

Last edited:
OP
Runs With Fire

Runs With Fire

Black Belt
Reaction score
no you have one pallet to move, 6 is 6 pieces of equipment that cover all the situations that the one doesn't

if you do move 6 pallets its far more than 6 times better than that for preparing you for urban assault, so is more than a good investment of spending 5 mins moving them

though to be honest i still dont see what benefit moving them has, if you put them in the right place at the beginning, but then a small and very cheap pallet truck may be of assistance, if yout too in-firmed to actually move a pallet a few dozen yards, but then if your that in firmed you cant move the other thing either

ive seen combat troops training moving various bit of wood around for no apparent reason than it helps them be better combat troops, so they possibly need to look how the professionals train and incorporate pallet moving in to their day

and again if its not about hiding, why is the guy in the picture hiding behind it ?
We're running 20 people through an I hr course on a public, state maintained shooting range. We don't have the time to constantly move things Dorr training, and it all has to fit in my vehicle at the end of the day.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
We're running 20 people through an I hr course on a public, state maintained shooting range. We don't have the time to constantly move things Dorr training, and it all has to fit in my vehicle at the end of the day.
Well just take one pallet then, though with 20 people i cant help thinking more pallets would be better, other wise they will only get 3 mins each, they are not going to be capable of storming a bandit hid out with so few mins in fact im not at all sure what they will be able to do after such a short time

Last edited:
OP
Runs With Fire

Runs With Fire

Black Belt
Reaction score
Well just take one pallet then, though with 20 people i cant help thinking more pallets would be better, other wise they will only get 3 mins each, they are not going to be capable of storming a bandit hid out with so few mins in fact im not at all sure what they will be able to do after such a short time
Meant to say an 8 hr course.

OP
Runs With Fire

Runs With Fire

Black Belt
Reaction score
We're going to have five of the fancy ones. And two rooftop types.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

You are trying to set up a basic structure for moving and shooting with a gun.

And so by basic structure I mean you are trying to get from point A To point B with a bullet, or gellball in my case, in the other guy without exposing yourself to their bullets/gellball.

And there is a whole skill to being able to do that. Which I am not great at.

Being able to make a random field would be kind of cool for that. Because I tend to have my steps rehearsed a bit.

So it isn't really hiding behind. It is everything that gets you to that point where you are hiding behind.

The best option would be an indoor field with all the barriers on pallets. And then you just waltz around with a pallet jack.

The step looking thing would work for drills. So say that third step is at some ugly night where you have to be all sports of yoga to shoot from it. You can then force people to shoot from there so that they become a bit more adaptable.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Listening to your opinions on fighting with guns, and training to do so, is like listening to virgins talk about sex.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Listening to your opinions on fighting with guns, and training to do so, is like listening to virgins talk about sex.
i have experience, admittedly these were air soft guns, , this is indeed more to piint of the discision as at least people were shooting back,,though i did go on the range once with a magnum,, so my virgin status has gone

on the same theme virgiins can be extremly 3xsperiance about sex and still be technically virgins

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
i have experience, admittedly these were air soft guns, , this is indeed more to piint of the discision as at least people were shooting back,,though i did go on the range once with a magnum,, so my virgin status has gone

Jobo, I started shooting shotguns and rifles when I was about ten. By age 16, I'd taken mule deer, American pronghorn, and a lot of doves and quail, and did some trap and skeet shooting for fun. I gave up hunting forever in my early 20s, and have had very little involvement with shooting arts since. I still shoot handguns with my brother once in a rare while, and am looking to buy one now. Shooting is something fun I can still do during this Covid thing.

I also did a bit of paintball. Let me tell you, things like paintball and air-soft are not the same as shooting real firearms that can accurately shoot hundreds of yards and kill by chance at distances of over a mile. Really. My brother has some very accurate and very expensive open-sight (no scope) rifles he uses in national and international competition at the 1,000 yard range, and he has a couple of large caliber scoped rifles with custom barrels and ammo that can hit things even farther away.

And you talk about moving the targets around? Targets that have to stop real bullets? o_O

Look, I grew up in a family that shot guns. Most Americans, especially those with rural roots did. I'm still totally ignorant about the type of shooting being referenced in the OP. So I'm reading this thread out of curiosity ...and am humble enough not to opine on matters I do not understand.

You apparently grew up in the UK, a society where guns are highly regulated and rare, with handguns almost totally unavailable. You have had almost no experience with a real firearm and none at all in the type of shooting being referenced here. Yet you want to argue with all the knowledgeable people posting! IKLawson was right on the mark. BTW ever hear of Dunning - Kruger???

Dunning–Kruger effect - Wikipedia