Building and using shooting barricades

Runs With Fire

Black Belt
Reaction score
Does anyone have input on shooting barricades? Not shooting a barricade, but using a barricade in firearm drills? My group will be building a few to help us work on using cover and shooting from barriers/ around corners. We want a rooftop style one with asphalt shingles, and the standard one with steps on one side and different sized holes cut in it.
166800-ed0ba4f58d9b136863afaedc924a5693.jpg
download.jpeg-1.jpg
download.jpeg.jpg

I'm gonna build them as soon as I get time. We've got to up our firearm training as a group. We will be using predominantly ar15 and ak47 style rifles and carbines.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Do not paint them. If you shoot against them the paint will rub off on your gun.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I just do some corrugated iron and tires. Mostly squares because it is easier.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Does anyone have input on shooting barricades? Not shooting a barricade, but using a barricade in firearm drills? My group will be building a few to help us work on using cover and shooting from barriers/ around corners. We want a rooftop style one with asphalt shingles, and the standard one with steps on one side and different sized holes cut in it.View attachment 22961 View attachment 22962 View attachment 22963
I'm gonna build them as soon as I get time. We've got to up our firearm training as a group. We will be using predominantly ar15 and ak47 style rifles and carbines.
is someone shooting back?

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Does anyone have input on shooting barricades? Not shooting a barricade, but using a barricade in firearm drills? My group will be building a few to help us work on using cover and shooting from barriers/ around corners. We want a rooftop style one with asphalt shingles, and the standard one with steps on one side and different sized holes cut in it.View attachment 22961 View attachment 22962 View attachment 22963
For me the biggest question is how realistic do you want it? Using shingles are a very good idea. In my experience most barricade training is great for when you get to the shooting position but do nothing for getting there. Setting up obstacles including height are paramount if you are serious about the functionality.

OP
Runs With Fire

Runs With Fire

Black Belt
Reaction score
T
For me the biggest question is how realistic do you want it? Using shingles are a very good idea. In my experience most barricade training is great for when you get to the shooting position but do nothing for getting there. Setting up obstacles including height are paramount if you are serious about the functionality.
yeah, the difference in shooting down off a roof for example, is a big one.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Seriously?
i just wonder why you were hiding behind things, it sees a bit over the top if its just bottles or squirrels

if your practising for some real world scenario, if would seem more sensible to practising hiding behind real world objects like trees perhaps ? rather than build some elaborate device your unlikely to have handy when the SHTF

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
i just wonder why you were hiding behind things, it sees a bit over the top if its just bottles or squirrels

if your practising for some real world scenario, if would seem more sensible to practising hiding behind real world objects like trees perhaps ? rather than build some elaborate device your unlikely to have handy when the SHTF
You are an open book Jobo, I will give you that. Often to a fault.

OP
Runs With Fire

Runs With Fire

Black Belt
Reaction score

the goofy looking barricade is considered the number 1 best design for simulating all probable scenarios of shooting from behind cover or concealment in an urban or suburban environment.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
the goofy looking barricade is considered the number 1 best design for simulating all probable scenarios of shooting from behind cover or concealment in an urban or suburban environment.
ok so which common urban feature is it simulating ? ive walk for many thousands of miles and never see anything closely resembling that, there does seem to be an inordinate number of walls though, urban environments dont seem at all short of walls

it wasn't the manufactures web sight you got this info off, was it. they seem to have a vested interest in not saying, just look for a wall to get behind

Last edited:

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Every step, curb, gate, fence, pallet, roadblock, window, under a vehicle, or around a corner.
they have a similarity to that goofy equipment ????? i think not, new glasses required

• perhaps you could illiterate the similarity with a few pics, you must have very strange curbs if they look like that

OP
Runs With Fire

Runs With Fire

Black Belt
Reaction score
they have a similarity to that goofy equipment ????? i think not, new glasses required

• perhaps you could illiterate the similarity with a few pics, you must have very strange curbs if they look like that
Perhaps you shouldn't mock someone well versed in a style you don't understand.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Perhaps you shouldn't mock someone well versed in a style you don't understand.
i understand what curbs look like.

, im not mocking it or you, but it is difficult not to be slightly amused by someone preparing for urban warfare, by building accoutrements not found in a urban environment and insisting that despite their complete absence from the likely field of battle this is a good investment in time money and effort.

i bet your dressing up in camouflage as well

OP
Runs With Fire

Runs With Fire

Black Belt
Reaction score
i understand what curbs look like.

, im not mocking it or you, but it is difficult not to be slightly amused by someone preparing for urban warfare, by building accoutrements not found in a urban environment and insisting that despite their complete absence from the likely field of battle this is a good investment in time money and effort.

i bet your dressing up in camouflage as well
Heavy bags aren't found in the street either, but we all use them.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Heavy bags aren't found in the street either, but we all use them.
i don't, but they are a vague aproximation of the target, you still have targets i assume, so ira not really the same thing

tou said they represented the enviroment, they clearly are not the target, unless your shooting them up as well,!

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
The step shape allows you to work on shooting from behind barriers at different heights which requires different body positions. Why build 8 different walls at 8 different heights when you can build one barricade that you can work all the different heights from.

The holes also to force you to shoot from different body positions.

That is what its purpose is.

Latest Discussions