Buddha

rabbit

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Ever notice in how in american chinese resturants there is a statue of a overweight buddha with a distended belly. I was told to rub his belly for "good luck". I bet they don't do that in buddhist temples in Asia.

Some Americans are way off-base. You should respect other peoples beliefs.

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
IIRC, the fat buddha is maitreya, the buddha of the future age. i think he is supposed to be a very happy go lucky fellow who ushers in an age of peace & enlightenment. i don't think he'd mind a belly rub.

jf

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Ever notice in how in american chinese resturants there is a statue of a overweight buddha with a distended belly. I was told to rub his belly for "good luck". I bet they don't do that in buddhist temples in Asia.

probably not but who told you to rub his belly? Was it the folks at the restaurant? If so then they just MIGHT know a bit more about their faith than you do, neh? I don't think rubbing a statue is any more sacrilegious than say kissing the feet of Christ on a crucifix for blessings ... but then I don't do that either.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ever notice in how in american chinese resturants there is a statue of a overweight buddha with a distended belly.

That's not "Buddha," but Budai Lohan, also called Hotei and a bunch of other things. He's sort of an avatar of abundance, prosperity, happiness and contentment, and was inspired by several historical and mythical figures, depending upon who's telling the story.

I was told to rub his belly for "good luck". I bet they don't do that in buddhist temples in Asia.

In fact, they do rub Budai Lohan's belly for luck in Asia. It's part of their folklore -though not part of Buddhism. At any rate, it's okay to rub his belly in the restaurant.....

Yep.

Last edited:
OP
R

rabbit

Blue Belt
Reaction score
IIRC, the fat buddha is maitreya, the buddha of the future age. i think he is supposed to be a very happy go lucky fellow who ushers in an age of peace & enlightenment. i don't think he'd mind a belly rub.

jf

Thanks for the insight.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
If memory serves it's a compassionate monk who helped the poor and sick and was later considered to be an incarnation of the Buddha and also conflated in typical Chinese fashion with one of the Eight Immortals.

When we were last in San Francisco's Chinatown we walked into a restaurant which had one of those statues. The sign said "Rub my stomach for luck. Rub my head for wisdom." Without thinking I reached for the head and my wife went for the stomach. That may be the fundamental difference between Jews and Chinese :)

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

Actually that is the belief and actually Buddhists do touch the Buddha, but it is not just the belly it is anywhere on that type of Buddha. At Jietaisi Temple, a 1400 year old monetary half way up the side of a mountain, just outside of Beijing my mother-in-law, who is a devout Buddhist, made sure she touched the Buddha.

As a matter of fact it is this Buddha that is touched quite often at Jeitaisi Tample by just about every Buddhist that goes there

OP
R

rabbit

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Actually that is the belief and actually Buddhists do touch the Buddha, but it is not just the belly it is anywhere on that type of Buddha. At Jietaisi Temple, a 1400 year old monetary half way up the side of a mountain, just outside of Beijing my mother-in-law, who is a devout Buddhist, made sure she touched the Buddha.

As a matter of fact it is this Buddha that is touched quite often at Jeitaisi Tample by just about every Buddhist that goes there

Wow!

girlbug2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
That's not "Buddha," but Budai Lohan, also called Hotei and a bunch of other things. He's sort of an avatar of abundance, prosperity, happiness and contentment, and was inspired by several historical and mythical figures, depending upon who's telling the story.

Not to be confused with the other Lohan, avatar of drunkenness and method acting.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Even tho I am not Buddist, I have a rather old Buddah statue that has been in my family since before I was born, and I rub it all the time.

I can't say it has ever brought me luck or wisdom, but It's somthing I've been doing since childhood.

Latest Discussions