Bruce Lee’s Weight Training Record

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
John Little was the author, who at the time, was married to Linda Lee. She gave him full access to all of Bruce's notes etc.

A couple important things to notice.

1) Look at the date, Bruce would have been around 24 years old at the time. Based on other biographical details, this would have been right around the time that he was introduced to weight lifting. So, this is NOT a workout from the tail end of his life or when he had his famous physique.

2) Other biographical information suggests that Bruce didn't keep detailed workout records like we see here after a few years of lifting. He became more spontaneous in his workouts and kept a lot of different lifting apparatuses around him to always be doing something.

There really isn't any reason to think that the workout sheet was forged. Its just not indicative of his progression and actual strength levels once he really got into lifting. Based on his height and weight at the time (ranging from 5'6 to 5'8) and a max weight of around 145 lbs. These numbers seem consistent with a skinny male first starting to lift.
So isn't it most likely, this form is just filled out wrong? There are a lot of little hidden symbols on the form, too. One weight listing has an "x" next to it.

There are 14 rows filled out including 2 bodyweight exercises, but these are mapped out 1-7 on the left margin. And the second could of exercises with no weight, reps, or sets listed.

This form is relatively modern. But it doesn't seem to make sense.

It's uncanny to me.

Last edited:

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes, but that was the olden days 😉
I find the sheet very interesting because 1) it's a great routine and 2) fierce debate online over it.

People get really sensitive when you ask questions about Bruce Lee!

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
So isn't it most likely, this form is just filled out wrong? There are a lot of little hidden symbols on the form, too. One weight listing has an "x" next to it.

There are 14 rows filled out including 2 bodyweight exercises, but these are mapped out 1-7 on the left margin. And the second could of exercises with no weight, reps, or sets listed.

This form is relatively modern. But it doesn't seem to make sense.

It's uncanny to me.
Pure speculation on my part, but "yes" I think it was probably filled out incorrectly. Or, it was filled out how Bruce wanted it to look and not the intent of the form's design.

The other thing to consider is that it is a Chinese gym trying to translate the form into English. Could be something with that.

Latest Discussions