Bruce Lee!

white belt

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by ace
U'd know there is no art:D
)Only Human Expression:D

Ace,

I think I get it now. When that guy flips me off in traffic for not allowing him to cut in front of me, he is expressing his own "PERSONAL JKD"! Kind of like the INSTANT ZEN concept. You know, the one where the student of Zen asks the Head Monk "What is Zen?". The Head Monk replies by beating him about the head w/a big stick. Middle finger=Big stick=Straight blast?

:)
white belt

white belt

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Ace,

Now THAT was deep! And your definition of Analytical Thinking would beee......?
:)
There is a test over at the "Health Tips" area on the thread titled " Ephedra debate". It involves a Ferret. I really think you need to do this test. It could mean a whole new level of "Personal JKD"!!

Glad to help!
white belt

B

bob919

bruce lee was forced to train himself fortunately it was actually advantageous to him if he hadn't have been expelled from wing chun he may have just done wingchun

OP
ace

ace

Master of Arts
Reaction score
When Was Bruce Expelled from Wing Chun????
To My Knowledge,
He Left China after almost killing a man.
And That is Y he Left.

Please Let Me Know???//////

Y

yilisifu

To my knowledge, he left Hong Kong to attend college in the U.S.

T

ThuNder_FoOt

Also to my knowledge, Lee left Hong Kong to attend college in the U.S.

:asian:

OP
ace

ace

Master of Arts
Reaction score
From What i know College came after he was
Already Here.

He was Working as a Dish Washer
Got Laid Off.

And his imployer gave him an all perpas loan.
U guy's should pick up his mothers book on him or the 1 his Wife Wrote.

Y

yilisifu

I've never had enough interest in him to bother buying books on his biography.

OP
ace

ace

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Thats To bad Sice He was a verry important Man in M.A.
And he lead a Verry interesting Life.

Y

yilisifu

I don't know if he borrowed some of Mr. Parker's ideas...I do know that he stayed with Parker for some time and it was Parker who introduced him to the Hollywood crowd which is eventually what made him famous.
He and Parker differed on several points, particularly as regards teaching. Bruce had little patience for students who couldn't learn quickly. Parker emphasized that a good teacher needed to have such a quality...this kind of thing is what caused them to ultimately end their relationship.

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by white belt
Ancient Greek Pankration and the OLD Jujitsu are two RECORDED examples. Necessity in olden times dictated that striking AND grappling be known for warfare survival, when devoid of an additional weapon. Technologys existance has caused a disservice of sorts that most people don't consider. Many of the recorded firsts are really only the FIRST recorded due to technology being around at the time of their existance. Predecessors of comparable quality preceded the techological distribution era and did not receive proper recognition in many cases, I would wager. "The victors of war are the authors of history", I believe it was said. What if the records describing Greek Pankration were kept secretive or destroyed? How many other systems and groups came and went throughout history that were as noteable as Pankration, Jujitsu and JKD that were not recorded or disclosed to the populace? We will never know. Jim Arvanitis was doing Modern Pankration in the late 1960s. If he were in Hollywood then, and Bruce Lee were on the East coast never seeking an acting career, would Arvanitis be considered the Grandfather of MMA instead? The wheel is reinvented time and again. Was Bruce Lee a great Martial Artist in my opinion? Yes. Was he the first to recombine elements that periodically have seperated throughout history? Most likely not. He was a genious that understood and developed an idea, on his own, that had already been done prior w/o his knowledge. No one has a patent on truth.

Another thought to ponder: If Bruce Lee was a quadrapelegic before developing JKD, would JKD exist? His physical capabilities/genetics were very good marketing tools. Would he have been able to convince anyone to any substantial extent, as to the value of his ideas w/o moving? How would he have gained such an audience?

white belt

1st.- Bruces physical capabilities he earned through various training, it was not genetics.

2nd- The original Greek Pancration which is "extinct" and the Samuries Jujutsu, I beleive are the first forms of MMA. Although neither exist today in their true form.

Jim Arvinitis had great vision but he himself, which you probably know, he re-created.

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by ace
U'd know there is no art:D
)Only Human Expression:D

Thats kind of right but not really.

Bruce had his own art- Jun Fan Gung-Fu.

The art of Human Expression is the final phase of JKD where you as the individual experience the art of no art, using no way as way, having no limitation as limitaion....

Jun Fan and JKD are two halves of the whole. One without the other is not complete.

If you are practicing JKD without ever learning Jun Fan, then you are not really practicing JKD. JKD is a process of developing your tools(Jun Fan), hacking away at your essentials and refining your tools BEFORE you "use what is useful, reject what is useless and add specifically is your own."

So you will learn "Bruces" art of Jun Fan before learning "your" JKD.

You can verify that with any major JKD player. The differances besides opinions on interpetation comes with every new generation. Because with every new generation, it is destiny for more of "what is specifically added," thus less Jun Fan.

Jun Fan is the art and JKD is the self expression of ones own personal art which is the ultimate destination.:D

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by yilisifu
Most so-called "traditional styles" were once known (in their day) as MMA. Somebody combined this with some of that and developed something new.

Bruce Lee didn't want his "style" named. But it is.

Bruce wasn't the first and won't be the last. He might've been the first MMA stylist to star in movies, though.

:rofl:

That is all true!

But it was Bruce himself who gave it two names, Jun Fan Gung-Fu and Jeet Kune Do and later changed his mind.

If he had not died, things may have been differant but by the time of his death too many people had been affected for there not to be "all" that what we see has come about leading up to today.

J

J-kid

I heard bruce lee died from a drug over douce in hong kong.

I heard about it from a really old penthouse magizen artical, some one told me about it.

I dont know if it is true? anythoughts/

OP
ace

ace

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Originally posted by akja
Thats kind of right but not really.

Bruce had his own art- Jun Fan Gung-Fu.

The art of Human Expression is the final phase of JKD where you as the individual experience the art of no art, using no way as way, having no limitation as limitaion....

Jun Fan and JKD are two halves of the whole. One without the other is not complete.

If you are practicing JKD without ever learning Jun Fan, then you are not really practicing JKD. JKD is a process of developing your tools(Jun Fan), hacking away at your essentials and refining your tools BEFORE you "use what is useful, reject what is useless and add specifically is your own."

So you will learn "Bruces" art of Jun Fan before learning "your" JKD.

You can verify that with any major JKD player. The differances besides opinions on interpetation comes with every new generation. Because with every new generation, it is destiny for more of "what is specifically added," thus less Jun Fan.

Jun Fan is the art and JKD is the self expression of ones own personal art which is the ultimate destination.:D

It was Bruce who said Jeet Kune Do
is Simply to simplify,favor formlessness
to asume all forms.
He said on the Long Street show
i don't belive in styels cause when it comes to fighting
Baby U better train your Whole Body.

I trained with Tom Macaluso Who is certified by Dan Inosanto
for about a year & a Half We trained JKD,Kali & Mauy Thai

:yinyang:

OP
ace

ace

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Originally posted by Judo-kid
I heard bruce lee died from a drug over douce in hong kong.

I heard about it from a really old penthouse magizen artical, some one told me about it.

I dont know if it is true? anythoughts/

I heard it was an alergic reaction to a pill
not an overdose.

I also heard alot of Stuff on this Subject
But i guess the Truth will Stay in the Closet

Latest Discussions