Bruce Lee : The Quickest!!!

M

moviefan4

Hey,

Bruce Lee is hands down the fastest martial artist on the silver screen. What do you guys think? His flicks show his amazin’ speed. I was checkin out Enter the Dragon last night and kept rewinding the scene where he takes the villains claw. Super tight! Another guy that is tearin’ up the martial arts scene is Mark Darcascos. He just came out in that French film, Brotherhood of the Wolf and he is off the hook! I was checkin out the fight scenes at www.13thstreet.com/site/common/view-content.jsp?id=d9348-cb6db-c06f7-fdd64&section=Clips&R_N=0203 and , man, this guy can get down. Have you guys heard of this movie? I guess its supposed to be somekinda horror flick. Check it out.

Peace

--Moviefan4

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There's information on the film here; evidently Mr. Dacascos plays the star's character's "native American friend Mani" in 18th century France. A user writes:
Its a period costume horror martial-arts werewolf movie and surprisingly all those pieces work together provided you don't concentrate too hard. Why no one has previously made a period costume horror martial-arts werewolf movie before is a mystery, but I expect plenty of imitations in the future.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
If you get a chance to see Brotherhood of the Wolf, definately make it. It has a very different feel than much of the Hollywood films, more serious, more.... dramatic. I was happy not to see an annoying comedy relief actor that seems to pop up in every action movie these days. I just hope you don't mind sub-titles.

Oh, and Dacascos has been "tearin it up" for a while now. Take a look at Only the Strong (at least 10 years old) and Drive. After the movie (Brotherhood) I asked my friend how old he though Mark was, and he thought he was in his mid-twenties, he's actually in his mid-thirties. (Of course if you want to see someone who is incredibly well preserved, you should see his father Al).

So sorry for the movie review in the JKD forum!

Lamont

OP
M

migo

I think Jet Li is incredibly fast, and since he's smaller than Bruce, he most likely is faster as well. Also of interesting note, Ali could punch faster than Bruce. Ali clocked in at 1/20th of a second, Bruce clocked at 1/8th of a second.

OP
J

jmdrake

Hello all,

I once recall reading somewhere that Bruce Lee said that Steve Sanders (now Steve Muhammad) of the Black Karate Federation had the fastest hands he'd ever seen. Also I think that Bruce Lee's speed was as much based on his ability to read his opponent as well as the ability to effortly flow from one technique to the next as it was on raw hand speed.

Regards,

John M. Drake

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Being small has nothing to do with speed.

jmdrake is correct in that Lee's speed was partly based on his ability to read his opponent and also perceptual speed, which is tied to reading the opponent and also involves deceptive hand placement, footwork, and timing.

Cthulhu

OP
M

migo

Originally posted by Cthulhu

Being small has nothing to do with speed.

Sure it does. Small people have a lot easier time with speed than big people.

OP
S

sweeper

Originally posted by migo

Sure it does. Small people have a lot easier time with speed than big people.

well being small has nothing to do with speed directly, other factors related to being small can alter speed. For example if you have short arms you don't have to move your arm as far to get a punch out and back.. if you have less muscle on your arms there is less mass to accelerate/de-accelerate.. and being small you will have an overall higher strength to weight ratio than being big if both groups work out with speed and strength in mind (as aposed to size). however if you look at the rate of acceleration of taller person's technique assumming their strength to weight ratio is the same (basicly an elongated version of the shorter person) they can accelerate their hands and feet just as fast (they just have to travel further). And if punching from the same range (lets say close to max range for the shorter guy) the taller/longer guy might actualy be faster because if he doesn't have to extend as far his muscles may be in a stronger position (kenesiologicaly(sp) speaking) longer. I think it may be reversed for kicking though.

OP
I

IFAJKD

Not sure on this one but I don't think migo is saying that smaller people are faster but that they have an easier time with it. If that is it I would have to agree on one level.
1) many larger people relay on their power and strength. OK, that may work out from time to time but speed and strength is deadly. I happen to believe that a good, fast big man is hard to beat.

2) much like speed, those who rely on power have a harder time learning and developing sensitivity. Or the ability to respond to pressure.

3) Now, for those with muscular mass who work on speed, Sweeper is correct in asserting that muscle drives speed. In essence it is the horse power. A fast person who begins weight training will get faster if theyt continue to train as usual in regard to speed. Likewise muscular people can become deadly fast if they train to do so. Weight training also enhances hand trapping.
Good topic.
Hey Chtu. You a big guy or what ?

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I believe that speed is power. Unfortunately speed is not my thing--I'm not that big but I was never very fast. I've worked on it. My "speed" is really agility/desterity developed through practice.

OP
S

sweeper

well when someone uses the term "power" they are usualy refering to the amount of force someone can generate in a punch, force = mass x acceleration, so if someone's bigger they have more mass, but if you aren't going to increase your mass the only way to get more power is to add speed. But also the physics of a punch are kinda odd because you are trying to shift your body weight into the person through your arm, you obviously can't do this 100% so biomechanics play a big role, so technique adds power too.. Also some people who hit fast don't put their body behind it, it's not that speed inhibits your ability to to put your body into a strike just for some reason alot of people don't.

What I meant in my last post was if a larger person trains mainly for speed (as aposed to mass and strength) they can become realy fast, as fast as a lighter weight fighter most likely.

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't consider myself a big guy. About 5'9" and around 200lbs when I'm not watching what I eat. I consider myself to be fairly quick, but nothing extraordinary. Again, I think a lot of it is perceptual.

However, in my earlier training days, I used to train for speed, ie: numerous reps of fast jabbing and punching, punching at candles, etc. But, I think one of the biggest things that helped with my speed was my instructor's insistence on drilling basics...punch after punch from a horse stance, kick after kick, and so forth. All the concentration on basics trained me to eliminate extraneous movements, which is another factor when training for speed.

Bah. Just got back from seeing Ep.II (in digital!), so I'm not thinking straight. Doubt I made a lick o' sense.

Cthulhu

OP
J

jmdrake

Originally posted by sweeper

well when someone uses the term "power" they are usualy refering to the amount of force someone can generate in a punch, force = mass x acceleration, so if someone's bigger they have more mass, but if you aren't going to increase your mass the only way to get more power is to add speed. But also the physics of a punch are kinda odd because you are trying to shift your body weight into the person through your arm, you obviously can't do this 100% so biomechanics play a big role, so technique adds power too.. Also some people who hit fast don't put their body behind it, it's not that speed inhibits your ability to to put your body into a strike just for some reason alot of people don't.

What I meant in my last post was if a larger person trains mainly for speed (as aposed to mass and strength) they can become realy fast, as fast as a lighter weight fighter most likely.

Increasing speed is not the only way to increase power in a strike. You can also put more "body" behind it i.e. Jack Dempsey's drop step punch.

OP
S

sweeper

But also the physics of a punch are kinda odd because you are trying to shift your body weight into the person through your arm, you obviously can't do this 100% so biomechanics play a big role, so technique adds power too..

That's part of what I meant but I guess I wrote it out more like I was reffering to the biomechanics of a particular technique.

OP
I

islandtime

Originally posted by Blindside
(Of course if you want to see someone who is incredibly well preserved, you should see his father Al).
SoLamont [/B]
I trained WHKD under Sigung Al in Colorado. He was awsome then and still is.
As far as Mark goes he was also great in "the Crow" TV series

Gene Gabel

OP
M

migo

I love The Crow. Brandon Lee still did it the best but after his death Mark does the best job with it. (Vincent Perez also did a good job seeing as he's a dancer and not a martial artist).

OP
B

Bushido

He sure was fast, but impossible to tell if he was/is the fastest one: we do not know all the others unknow martial artists. It is like when I heard "(A fighters name) is the best fighter in the world." One maybe the best "ring" fighter or the best "competition" fighter, but not the best in the world. Maybe there's a unknown guy that lives, I dont know, in Japan or anywhere in the worlds and that his martial art skills are incredible, even better that mma fighter,s who knows.

-Bushido

OP
S

sweeper

to say someone is the best fighter in the world is kinda like saying someone is the best artist in the world.. not very specific (how would you compare a cinamatographer to a musition?) now if you give a more specific aspect of fighting, like speed, or power, or a sport like MMA or roundifghting.. makes it easyer but you still have specifics.. bruce lee was fast but ali's hand speed was faster.. doesn't mean ali could kick (havn't a clue). but in the case of a sport I think you can pritty much see who is the best. to be good at any sport (including a fighting sport) you have to practice it.. you can't practice BJJ for 10 years than just go strate to boxing and be a champ.. and if you compete in a sport and you are the best you will win.. if you win you will be known.

OP
K

Kirk

I heard that a faster film, PLUS having Jet Li slow down in his
M.A. scenes were necessary to even seeing Jet Li move.
I saw the director of Lethal Weapon 4 saying that some shots
in his action scenes were cut out, because he was so fast, you
didn't see him move (on film). Of course that could've been a
publicity stunt.

Latest Discussions