BRUCE CALKINS & US MARINE CORP

Status
Not open for further replies.

RRouuselot

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Robert Carver said:
Mr. Calkins, please produce a copy of your DD-214. If you are not comfortable in posting it publically, you can send me a copy, I will remove any confidential information (like SSN) and post it for everyone to see. Otherwise, cease claiming that you earned the right to be called a Marine.
Robert,

First off…..what a great name….

Second, yes, 1 look at a DD-214 and his whole military career will be known. I suspect he will claim he was not in the Marine Corps but only worked with them…..possible as an invited instructor or some such bull.

Third, having grown up in a family where everyone was in the Corps I feel ya on people claiming to be a Marine that didn’t go through the training. If you didn’t earn the right so don’t pretend/imply you have.

(I tried to enlist after high school signed up for AAV (amphibious assault vehicle) MOS but had too much of a hearing loss in one ear and couldn’t complete the in proccessing..which sucks, then tried the Army, same thing, Navy same thing….no way would I join the Air Force)

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
RRouuselot said:
Second, yes, 1 look at a DD-214 and his whole military career will be known. I suspect he will claim he was not in the Marine Corps but only worked with them…..possible as an invited instructor or some such bull.

If that is so, then why did he respond after this thread was set up, and yet did not jump in to set the record straight if the above is the case? He could hardly have missed the thread. If he had immediatly tried to set the record straight instead of making two posts elsewhere and ignoring this thread some of us might accept the explination you propose.

As it is, I doubt anyone will take the story at face value.

RRouuselot

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Don Roley said:
If that is so, then why did he respond after this thread was set up, and yet did not jump in to set the record straight if the above is the case? He could hardly have missed the thread. If he had immediatly tried to set the record straight instead of making two posts elsewhere and ignoring this thread some of us might accept the explination you propose.

As it is, I doubt anyone will take the story at face value.

nixweiss.gif

Brad Dunne

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I think I've finally got this figured out........ We've all been PUNK'D by Ashton Kushner........

There are 8 different threads ongoing about this same person. Something has to be going on here!........

chinto01

Black Belt
Reaction score
Mr.Calkins yet again your past has sparked up a heated debate. In a previous post I stated that I would interested in keeping touch with you in regards to your training. Having come from a family that has served in the armed forces I would be highly disappointed to find out this claim of yours is false. I believe it is time for you to step up and address this issue.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I will second the motion, please set the story straight for all to see. Myself was never in the Marines but my father for 38 some what glorified years as he would put it. As a family that went from base to base and country to country I find it a little strang that you will not answer those that doubt.

Terry Lee Stoker

RRouuselot

Master of Arts
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
I will second the motion, please set the story straight for all to see. Myself was never in the Marines but my father for 38 some what glorified years as he would put it. As a family that went from base to base and country to country I find it a little strang that you will not answer those that doubt.

Terry Lee Stoker

Judging by his moral fiber, or lack of, I doubt Calkins was a Marine…..I have yet to meet a Marine that would act in such a way…..hopefully I never will.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hey hey hey... I'll have you know I was born in a perfectly lovely Air Force hospital & my dad had his OWN golf cart for on base getting around ... :moon:

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I worked for the Army and the Navy, but only as a consultant to the AF...never directly for them. Maybe someday I will to 'round things out'!

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Can this be checked? From his "guest book" ...

Capt. Lockheart "Locky"Saturday, 2/12/05, 11:33 AM I had the Honor of getting the tar knocked into me by (Then) Sensei Calkins in 1980 at Parris Island during my SP training. He truly knows how to keep us safe. Semper Fi Sensei. (Original Posting 11/20/03, 9:38pm) From:San Fran Ca.E-mail: [email protected]Style You Study: USMC Special Forces Training

Here's the link ... http://www.homestead.com/~site/Scripts_NewGuest/NewGuest.dll?CMD=CMDGetViewEntriesPage&STYLE=book%2F&ENTRYID=&FORWARDFLAG=true&GBID=14222950&DISPLAY=31&TARGETURL=default&EMAILADDRESS=ENC__d61087a8251c67c5469312e1c2036a9849c1f5948459e2966d&EM=true&CUSTOMVALUE=Style+You+Study%3A&H_H=5820590&H_P=1&H_A=0&H_V=2&H_U=125878

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
clfsean said:
Can this be checked? From his "guest book" ...

Style You Study: USMC Special Forces Training

Please claify for me if I'm wrong, but I thought "Special Forces" was a term used primarily for Green Berets and the USMC went the Navy Seal route or Special Op's. If that's true, how can you have USMC Special Forces?

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
If you are in the USMC from 80-84 how are you training Marines in your first year? You are one step up from a piece of amphibian **** at that point in your military career. Unless that 4 year period was after his military service...:idunno:

M

Mark Weiser

I was in the Marines from 1979- 1983. I was never informed about a Marine Corps Self Defense School while I was in the Corps. Hmmm then again maybe trying to survive the Drill Instructors and all the goons in leadership I was preoccupied lol lol. Let me do some calls and let you all know if this was a Legit School during this time period.

The closet "Special Forces Unit" would have been Marine Recon. They would never call themselves "Special Forces" due to association of that word with the Army. They would as soon break your neck or jump out of a plane without a chute than use that term. "RECON!" as they yell going to the earth.

All Law Enforcement/Security Personnel in the Marines( all Security people were Military Police not SP - SP is a term used in the Air Force) had the honor of attending Military Police School in Fort McMullen I belive it was called it was a long time agon lol. It was in Alabama

Robert Carver

Orange Belt
Reaction score
One of our moderators over on BudoSeek made the following points. He is a current active duty Marine Gunnery Sergeant.

An interesting post (on the guestbook) though, for a number of reasons. The first being that SP in the Navy is Shore Patrol. It's a duty which is stood by E-4's and above (both Navy and Marines) aboard ship when we pull into foreign ports. I've stood it many times, and there is no training associated with it, though back in the 80's they were probably issued nightsticks. Their duties are basically to take care of the drunks while the ship is in port, and their numbers are drawn from all units aboard the ship. It isn't a "job", a rating, or an MOS...so I can't see sending everyone in the Navy and USMC to some sort of "SP school" aboard a Marine Corps installation hundreds of miles from the nearest Navy port, whose sole purpose for existing is to train Marine Corps recruits.

As I mentioned in my previous post, I was on active duty in the Marine Corps during this time frame. I was also stationed at Parris Island only a year following Mr. Culkins supposed tenure at PISC. I personally knew the guys that taught close-combat on the Island. And I didn't mention this previously, but I served with the Marine that invented the LINE program. Mr. Culkins assertion that he was with or trained anyone at PISC as part of a "USMC Self Defense School" is total BS. If the Marine Corps did have a "self-defense" school, I can guarantee you that it would NOT have been at a Marine Corps Recruit Depot, but rather at MCB Quantico.

Swordlady

Senior Master
Reaction score
Tgace said:
If you are in the USMC from 80-84 how are you training Marines in your first year? You are one step up from a piece of amphibian **** at that point in your military career. Unless that 4 year period was after his military service...:idunno:
Not only that, note Bruce's birthday, as listed in his profile: July 17, 1962

He would've been 18 years old when he joined the Marines - and I highly doubt he would be training anyone as a mere grunt himself.

RRouuselot

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Robert Carver said:
One of our moderators over on BudoSeek made the following points. He is a current active duty Marine Gunnery Sergeant.

As I mentioned in my previous post, I was on active duty in the Marine Corps during this time frame. I was also stationed at Parris Island only a year following Mr. Culkins supposed tenure at PISC. I personally knew the guys that taught close-combat on the Island. And I didn't mention this previously, but I served with the Marine that invented the LINE program. Mr. Culkins assertion that he was with or trained anyone at PISC as part of a "USMC Self Defense School" is total BS. If the Marine Corps did have a "self-defense" school, I can guarantee you that it would NOT have been at a Marine Corps Recruit Depot, but rather at MCB Quantico.
WOW! That kind of truth must sting like salt in an already open wound....eh "Brucie"......

Rick Wade

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Akashiro Tamaya said:
Phil, we could asked some Marines here if they ever heard of such thing. So Anyone ?

OK here is the Real Deal. I walked up stairs and talked to one of the Gunnery Sergeants I work with.

He joined the Marines in 1984. The only combat school back then was CCX (close Quarters Combat) it was at Paris Island but it was taught by E-6 and above. He said their is no way they would let a private fresh out of boot camp be an instructor at a school where you would be teaching much more senior people.

V/R

Rick English
Chief Petty Officer, USN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions