Brown Belt Destroys 3 Dan Black Belt

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This just goes to show that its not just rank but how you got your rank, what standards you needed to meet to get it, ect.
I forgot to mention is that there is an assumption that someone of a different belt color is of lower skill. The reality is that the brown belt may actually have more fighting experience. His belt is only brown because that's how he ranks in the school. If I start karate now then I wouldn't even have a belt, but I would have more than enough skills to go against some of the higher ranked students.

Belts can be misleading.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Belts can be misleading.

This is so very true. We don't do a lot of tourney stuff, but when we do, our students tend to clean house.
Why?
Because time in grade. Our average to get to 1st Dan is about 6-8 years. So, when we do go to a tourney, our students are likely to be matched up against opponents with only a fraction of their training and experience.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
This thread reminds me of what Tommy Morrison said after he got knocked out by a basically unknown boxer. Morrison got caught with I think a left hook. He said (paraphrasing): if you give a 200 lb guy who knows how to throw a punch a clean shot at your head, he’s going to knock you out every time, regardless of how much better you are than him.

The 2nd dan gave the brown belt a clean kick at his head. Same thing.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Belt rank is a combination of time-in-grade and demonstration you have learned the material. They're typically not handed out in Sith-like fashion (i.e. you must beat all the other 3rd dan candidates to receive your 3rd dan). It's not a direct grade of your fighting skill. It's a grade of your dedication and learning of the art.

Ah, I liked how you put that, well said :)

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
Movements as a whole... or the entire kata. If the later... kata doesn't work like that. You have been given a lot of video of live application of kata segments. Wab25 gave you the link
Lyoto Machida: Old-School Karate
and i gave you stuff in a post too.

Which is a different argument. The old ways are effective. Your earlier post was to the effect that when paraphrased comes out as "forms are useless for developing fighting ability". What you literally said was: "How many forms you know/how well you can do them has nothing to do with fighting ability."

That doesn't mean they are bad or wrong.
The two biggest issues... 1. Most people dont understand kata... especially the people that are doing them. and 2... because they don't understand kata... they don't invest the time practicing them that is neccessary to benefit greatly from them.

Some just add groundfighting to their tma fighting base.
Well, you seem to believe TMA(pick your poison) on its own is enough for a realistic stand up base, while I have never seen the evidence to support this(as well as a good heap of evidence to the contrary)

I doubt we are going to sway each other on this.

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Well, you seem to believe TMA(pick your poison) on its own is enough for a realistic stand up base, while I have never seen the evidence to support this(as well as a good heap of evidence to the contrary)

I doubt we are going to sway each other on this.

Having both seen others and personally used TSD in real life self defense fights, I would say it is my testimony that it worked.

It is of note, that the opponents were untrained in hand to hand fighting. That is to say... they were not guys who worked out at boxing gyms or mma clubs.

Just muggers and street toughs.

also... real world events...kidnapper chases girl into a kyukushkin karate school... goes to hospital for his efforts. this was very recent.

seems satisfactory to me.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/ny-news-kidnap-suspect-hospital-karate-instructor-helps-20190104-story.html?outputType=amp&ved=2ahUKEwjrutypmIngAhXhx1QKHTEXChAQFjAGegQICRAB&usg=AOvVaw1I8NP6kmllaSiK8Q6MxUtK&ampcf=1

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
Having both seen others and personally used TSD in real life self defense fights, I would say it is my testimony that it worked.

It is of note, that the opponents were untrained in hand to hand fighting. That is to say... they were not guys who worked out at boxing gyms or mma clubs.

also... real world events...kidnapper chases girl into a kyukushkin karate school... goes to hospital for his efforts. this was very recent.

seems satisfactory to me.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/ny-news-kidnap-suspect-hospital-karate-instructor-helps-20190104-story.html?outputType=amp&ved=2ahUKEwjrutypmIngAhXhx1QKHTEXChAQFjAGegQICRAB&usg=AOvVaw1I8NP6kmllaSiK8Q6MxUtK&ampcf=1
Sure, I believe people bust out karate moves in bars and whatnot. If that's all you need then sure. But when the skill levels rise(competition) that stuff falls off pretty quickly.

I do remember that last article from a different thread. Now I'm not going to say that sort of thing doesn't happen, (I recall a very famous video where karate sensei backhands a pimp to Mars outside his dojo), but this example is pure clickbait. The article ends off by stating the cops are the ones who took badguy down.

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Sure, I believe people bust out karate moves in bars and whatnot. If that's all you need then sure. But when the skill levels rise(competition) that stuff falls off pretty quickly.

I do remember that last article from a different thread. Now I'm not going to say that sort of thing doesn't happen, (I recall a very famous video where karate sensei backhands a pimp to Mars outside his dojo), but this example is pure clickbait. The article ends off by stating the cops are the ones who took badguy down.
hmm. i suspect they roughed the suspect up a little after he had already been subdued.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
hmm. i suspect they roughed the suspect up a little after he had already been subdued.
I suspect the title they used got them a lot more views than ''cops subdue suspect" would have.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ah, I liked how you put that, well said :)

The other analogy I was going to make was the whole Gearscore problem in World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King, which is a more apt analogy but requires more detailed explanation to make it work for those who are not part of that specific community at that point in time.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Finally got around to watching the video, and have to agree with some of the earlier posters. There was no real 'destroying' going on. He got a good kick in what seems to be the black belts blind spot, and it worked.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
Finally got around to watching the video, and have to agree with some of the earlier posters. There was no real 'destroying' going on. He got a good kick in what seems to be the black belts blind spot, and it worked.
Brown belt guy was luring black belt guy and breaking his timing/controlling distance from go though.

But ya, anyone can get caught.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Was it these street toughs?
7100C4BB-BB0F-4E3A-A205-1D38A153C13E.jpeg

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I suspect the title they used got them a lot more views than ''cops subdue suspect" would have.

Ephraim said he asked the man to leave, but he stated he was not going anywhere. "He then tried to force himself further into the dojo, aggressively pushing and swinging," the instructor said.

"I then went into action defending myself and got him out of the dojo. Once outside he attempted to attack again and was dealt with accordingly."

The suspect also tried to assault police officers before he was arrested, WSOC reports.

He was taken to the hospital with injuries. There's no word on his condition at this point.

Kyukushkin guys are no joke.

He defended himself, tossed the guy outta his dojo.
the guy wanted more in the parking lot. got more.

then wanted some from the police.

sounds like a guy who was very mentally disturbed.

A man allegedly trying to kidnap a woman followed her when she ran for help: into a karate studio. It went about as well as you think - CNN

Last edited:

Yokozuna514

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I've seen that video before. The Sandan was using an older style of knockdown fighting. A style that was used in the 80's and is still taught in some places today. The style was focused on a war of attrition. You stand in the middle and guy that could take the most damage slugging it out usually won. The brown belt is using an updated style of knockdown fighting. The style has more mobility and uses Sabaki concepts to take down your opponent. This style is also still being taught and used today. There are newer styles of knockdown fighting used today. Much more effective and devastating but you will probably not see many places in NA teaching or using them. Kyokushin style fighting or knockdown karate is continuously evolving.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
He may have brown belt on. But who knows what other MA cross training experience that he may have before that.

One of my students has 15 years of Chinese wrestling training. He still has his white belt on when he competes in Chinese wrestling tournament. IMO, the color belt can be misleading.

Last edited:

Latest Discussions