Brown Belt Destroys 3 Dan Black Belt

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
This just goes to show that its not just rank but how you got your rank, what standards you needed to meet to get it, ect.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
This just goes to show that its not just rank but how you got your rank, what standards you needed to meet to get it, ect.
I happens. I more appreciated the level of contact from both sides. He looked a bit older than the brown belt so kudos to being in the tournament in the first place.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
What does the belt rank have to do with winning a given match? I don't see this match as being dominated by the brown belt, I see him landing a good, effective kick that ended the match.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I didn’t see anyone get dominated. I saw a 3rd dan perhaps be a bit too conservative (but that’s a stretch), and make the mistake of going for a low fake thereby exposing his head.

Same as boxing, in full contact, you can get KOed with one mistake. He made one mistake.

As for dominating black belts, Dolph Lundgren won the European Kyokushin championship as a green belt (4th kyu). His opponents were all black belts. In the above match and Lundgren’s matches, there’s not very many pretenders in Kyokushin competition. Guys who can’t fight get weeded out pretty quickly when there’s no protective gear and full force strikes are allowed.

Just to add...

Just because he’s a Kyokushin brown belt doesn’t mean he doesn’t have any other experience. How do we know if he trained another similar system. Muay Thai, Kyokushin offshoot, etc.

Last edited:

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score

In 1979, while serving in the Swedish Marine Corps, Dolph was selected to fight in the
2nd World Open Karate Tournament in Tokyo.

One of the earliest international full-contact tournaments. Still only a green belt, Dolph had to borrow a brown belt (one level higher) to be able to fight.

Nevertheless, Dolph knocked out his first two opponents with a "Hiza-Geri" (knee-kick to the face) and the crowd started to take notice of the tall, gangly Swede.

In his next fight Dolph was up against the overwhelming favourite for the world title, Makoto Nakamura.

Dolph (a green belt) weighed 93 kg (205 lbs) against Nakamuras 110 kg (245 lbs). Nakamura (a 2nd degree black belt) attacked immediately and Dolph caught him with a roundhouse kick to the face. The crowd gasped. They sensed this Lundgren could be more than Nakamura had bargained for. The fight went the distance; plus two extensions and Nakamura was awarded a controversial decision. This proved to be the eventual world champions hardest fight.

dolph2.gif
Dolph went on to win the BKK British Open Knockdown Heavyweight title in 1980 and 1981 and also became Australian Open Champion in the individual and team events a year later. Now a Shodan (1st degree black belt) at the age of 23 Dolph went to Australia to study Chemical Engineering on a scholarship for a year. He had his own karate club at Sydney University, and made some extra money doing security for music acts touring Sydney. That is when he met singer Grace Jones.

Mas Oyama and a young Dolph Lundgren.
Dolph-with-10th-Dan-and-founder-of-Kyukoshinkai-Karate-Master-Oyama.jpg

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
There's a ton of other factors here, too:
  1. Belt rank is a combination of time-in-grade and demonstration you have learned the material. They're typically not handed out in Sith-like fashion (i.e. you must beat all the other 3rd dan candidates to receive your 3rd dan). It's not a direct grade of your fighting skill. It's a grade of your dedication and learning of the art.
  2. Matchups are a thing. I'm a football fan. This year I watched the Seahawks go against the 3-10 49ers and lose, and the next week go against the 11-3 chiefs and win. The also beat Dallas at the start of the year and lost to Dallas later. One kick in one match doesn't prove anything.
  3. Some people just have more natural talent than others. We have one girl at my school who's dominated every sparring match she's been in. She's fast, she kicks hard, she has good timing, and she can pick up just about any kick we teach her in a matter of seconds. (I showed her how to do a double back kick when she was an orange or green belt, and it took her 3 attempts before she was doing the kick at shoulder height). We have other students that it's taken years to fix bad habits with some of their turning kicks.
All this video proves is that this brown belt won this fight against this 3rd degree black belt. It's an anecdote. Nothing more.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
In 1979, while serving in the Swedish Marine Corps, Dolph was selected to fight in the

One of the earliest international full-contact tournaments. Still only a green belt, Dolph had to borrow a brown belt (one level higher) to be able to fight.

Nevertheless, Dolph knocked out his first two opponents with a "Hiza-Geri" (knee-kick to the face) and the crowd started to take notice of the tall, gangly Swede.

In his next fight Dolph was up against the overwhelming favourite for the world title, Makoto Nakamura.

Dolph (a green belt) weighed 93 kg (205 lbs) against Nakamuras 110 kg (245 lbs). Nakamura (a 2nd degree black belt) attacked immediately and Dolph caught him with a roundhouse kick to the face. The crowd gasped. They sensed this Lundgren could be more than Nakamura had bargained for. The fight went the distance; plus two extensions and Nakamura was awarded a controversial decision. This proved to be the eventual world champions hardest fight.

dolph2.gif
Dolph went on to win the BKK British Open Knockdown Heavyweight title in 1980 and 1981 and also became Australian Open Champion in the individual and team events a year later. Now a Shodan (1st degree black belt) at the age of 23 Dolph went to Australia to study Chemical Engineering on a scholarship for a year. He had his own karate club at Sydney University, and made some extra money doing security for music acts touring Sydney. That is when he met singer Grace Jones.

View attachment 22060

I knew he had a degree in chemical engineering, I didn't know he had legit karate training before becoming an actor!

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
That is the nature of honest competition. That you will risk loss.

It is supposed to work that way.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Another factor: attributes. If one fighter is stronger, faster, more durable, etc, that can often overcome a disadvantage in experience, skill, or knowledge.

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I knew he had a degree in chemical engineering, I didn't know he had legit karate training before becoming an actor!

world champion level training... by instructors hand trained by the style founder. Mas himself.

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
There's a ton of other factors here, too:
  1. Belt rank is a combination of time-in-grade and demonstration you have learned the material. They're typically not handed out in Sith-like fashion (i.e. you must beat all the other 3rd dan candidates to receive your 3rd dan). It's not a direct grade of your fighting skill. It's a grade of your dedication and learning of the art.
  2. Matchups are a thing. I'm a football fan. This year I watched the Seahawks go against the 3-10 49ers and lose, and the next week go against the 11-3 chiefs and win. The also beat Dallas at the start of the year and lost to Dallas later. One kick in one match doesn't prove anything.
  3. Some people just have more natural talent than others. We have one girl at my school who's dominated every sparring match she's been in. She's fast, she kicks hard, she has good timing, and she can pick up just about any kick we teach her in a matter of seconds. (I showed her how to do a double back kick when she was an orange or green belt, and it took her 3 attempts before she was doing the kick at shoulder height). We have other students that it's taken years to fix bad habits with some of their turning kicks.
All this video proves is that this brown belt won this fight against this 3rd degree black belt. It's an anecdote. Nothing more.

this was my point in Dolph.

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Another factor: attributes. If one fighter is stronger, faster, more durable, etc, that can often overcome a disadvantage in experience, skill, or knowledge.
Dont discount surprise and treachery.
9435774_2.jpg

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score

dolph2.gif

View attachment 22060
To add to this, Makoto Nakamura is an absolute legend in Kyokushin. Perhaps not the best fighter of all time, but he is one of the best. He is the only one to win the World Open Kyokushin championship twice.

Lundgren taking him into double overtime is no small feat by any stretch of the imagination.

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
As a treacherous older person I really wish it always worked that way.
But it does always work that way.
Sometimes you have to surprise your opponent more than others, say by waiting in ambush outside the venue before the fight. :)