Brother art?

PBMaster

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Thank you for your response, Doc. I have not been a Kenpo student and cannot speak to issues of speed. In my own time, I have practiced my art at varying tempos thoughout the years and have found that in the study of my art, high rates of speed invariably has led to injury and control issues. Too, certain types of technique, intrinsic to San Soo, must be performed in simulation or the result will be certain injury. Of other arts I could only make generalizations, but my remarks, here, should not be taken as contrasting differing technique, performance or suitability of our respective systems.

Ed Parker, no doubt has been very successful in the proliferation of Kenpo. A model for others in the successful presentation of way of life. The system of instruction of Jimmy H. Woo, was in place and had been that way for some time when I came on board. It stayed the same up until his death. Frank Woolsey ran a whole different deal with contracts and a set curriculum. I cannot say where these ideas originated but it was a very different business plan from the one I am witness to at Jimmy H. Woo's El Monte Studio. The studio I knew had few rules or formal requirements. Of this, I know, as much of what I do nowadays is an attempt to fortify and reinforce our learning base.

Previous to 1970, I cannot say what cliques existed or who influenced whom. Ark Wong being in the mix would indicate a time prior to my experience. I am only commenting based on my own experiences. The fact that Jimmy H. Woo and Ed Parker and the whole colorful crew, socialized, is really very interesting.

Jimmy had several names. This, coming from how he was known to the US government, to his relations and family. James is not one I have heard. His wife, Bernice, (pronounce bernis) called him Jim.

At any rate, let me reiterate again that my comments are not meant to contrast San Soo with Kenpo. Many practitioners and systems have shown lasting durability here in America. We all benefit as a community.

Thanks for allowing me a place in your discussion. Nice to meet you, Doc.

PBMaster.

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mr. Borisoff -

I agree with everything you say. Incidentally, I trained with Frank Woolsey and Dennis Kirby in the 70's in Orange County. Do you know what happened to these men?

PBMaster

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Do I know what happened to Frank Woolsey or Dennis Kirby.

No, I don't. Frank is rumored to be on the east coast.

Bill Hulsey did a talk about Frank at my school several years ago.
I felt that Frank was an important person in our history.
It was entertaining. He was a character.

Bill Hulsey knows more about him.

I have a dvd of that lecture or a few years ago.

Hope you are enjoying your present study.

PB

L Canyon

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I just was promoted to Brown Belt in San Soo by Master Borisoff. I am psyched!

I hope some MT'ers stop by his school in reseda sometime - would be a pleasure to meet you chaps (and chapettes).

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
L Canyon said:
I just was promoted to Brown Belt in San Soo by Master Borisoff. I am psyched!

I hope some MT'ers stop by his school in reseda sometime - would be a pleasure to meet you chaps (and chapettes).

Congratulations LC! Great job to you! It's been interesting to learn more about San Soo from the discussion. Would be great to meet you folks as well if my boss ever allows me to leave the east coast :rofl:

L Canyon

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Thank you Carol!

You should take a vacation and come out to the west coast. Dr. Chapel teaches in Torrance, I beleive, Larry Tatum in Pasadena - you would have your hands full visiting all the masters here. Thanks again.

DavidSelders

White Belt
Reaction score
Mr. Borisoff -

I agree with everything you say. Incidentally, I trained with Frank Woolsey and Dennis Kirby in the 70's in Orange County. Do you know what happened to these men?

Dennis Kirby is my teacher, he lives in Kalispell, Montana.

tom fox

White Belt
Reaction score
Hello, I studied San Soo in the early 70's. There was not much structure and the belts did take a long time in coming. I enjoyed my classes very much. We were taught to learn the lesson slowly and that speed and power would come as we mastered the lesson. I have studied other arts over the years and wish I had a good San Soo instructor close by. I had just earnrd my black belt when I went overseas and miss the art very much. I practice all that I can and incorporate San Soo in to my classes as much as possible. I do remember my instructor telling us that if we survived the streets in LA then we won our tournament, meaning that we did not have rules in our art except to win.

Fox

L Canyon

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hello, I studied San Soo in the early 70's. There was not much structure and the belts did take a long time in coming. I enjoyed my classes very much. We were taught to learn the lesson slowly and that speed and power would come as we mastered the lesson. I have studied other arts over the years and wish I had a good San Soo instructor close by. I had just earnrd my black belt when I went overseas and miss the art very much. I practice all that I can and incorporate San Soo in to my classes as much as possible. I do remember my instructor telling us that if we survived the streets in LA then we won our tournament, meaning that we did not have rules in our art except to win.

Fox

Tom - who was your teacher in the 1970's? My instructor, Paul Borisoff, studied with Chuck Cory and Jimmy Woo.

Thank you - Randy

Latest Discussions