Broken neck in BJJ Tournament (OUCH)

MAfreak

Purple Belt
Reaction score
the disturbing vids in this thread brought me here:
i'm wondering if no one tells the kids before that slamming is illegal. and some of these refs could have been intervening earlier instead of just wait and watch the predictable, and be it just by shouting "don't slam".

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
the disturbing vids in this thread brought me here:
i'm wondering if no one tells the kids before that slamming is illegal. and some of these refs could have been intervening earlier instead of just wait and watch the predictable, and be it just by shouting "don't slam".
some of those were slams and others weren't. I hate to see those kids ones, and the One at about 3:00 in was cringe worthy.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
BJJ Ref Spot: A Legal Takedown vs an Illegal Slam

Pretty good explanation of a slam when taking an opponent down.

Just thinking more about this, the entire discussion regarding slamming is a red herring. What this discussion should have focused on is the danger to the neck from rolling directly back. Found an interesting backward roll drill from the double under pass that was attempted in the OP. The instructor emphasizes how important it is to roll over the shoulder.

Last edited:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Years, and years ago, my employers offered EMT training: in addition to being a nuclear plant operator, I was a plant EMT.

I enrolled in the training because I was refereeing tournaments, and had noted the lack of medically trained refs. I've been an advocate for medical training for referees (in many sports) for quite some time-since my own kids started participating, actually, and I was still...

This ref rolled that kid over. He shouldn't have done that. That's pretty much the end of discussion for me.
I've actually been contemplating something like that as a requirement for black belt promotion, or at least for instructor certification. Not just basic First Aid (though that's a start), but something more comprehensive, like Emergency Responder training.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've actually been contemplating something like that as a requirement for black belt promotion, or at least for instructor certification. Not just basic First Aid (though that's a start), but something more comprehensive, like Emergency Responder training.

I wouldn't recommend anything beyond basic first aid/first responder/cpr type training. Unless this is what you actually do, you are not going to spend the time and money it takes to stay current with changes in emergency medicine. And since you're not going to have the equipment to do anything other than the most basic care, there's no point in training beyond that level.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't recommend anything beyond basic first aid/first responder/cpr type training. Unless this is what you actually do, you are not going to spend the time and money it takes to stay current with changes in emergency medicine. And since you're not going to have the equipment to do anything other than the most basic care, there's no point in training beyond that level.
The first responder (I think Red Cross calls it Emergency Responder) is what I'm referring to. The basic first aid tends to stop at what you could read on a quick reference guide. What I'm actually thinking is that I'll require first aid/CPR certification for black belt, and something more for Instructor certification, or maybe for Senior Instructor. In part, I like the idea that it takes a bit of time and effort, and requires the instructor focus on learning healing a bit, rather than just destruction.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
More people who know cpr is a great thing. Rather than tying it to a rank or making it compulsory, why not invite instructors into the school and replace an aikido Seminar with cpr certification? Make it an option for all your students. I bet you'd have a good turnout.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
More people who know cpr is a great thing. Rather than tying it to a rank or making it compulsory, why not invite instructors into the school and replace an aikido Seminar with cpr certification? Make it an option for all your students. I bet you'd have a good turnout.

I'd consider this a far better idea than linking MA rank to non-MA skills.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'd agree with giving careful thought to what training you require outside of your art. Time and money...

That said, there are sports oriented first aid classes available. They might seem more reasonable for students. Especially if you make a current certificate a requirement for each advancement beyond the first black belt.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Latest Discussions