Brock Lesnar fails drug test (big surprise)

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Well, now, just for the record, I'd juice like crazy. If it meant the difference between $60,000 per year on a farm league team, or $600,000 or possibly more in the MLB, you bet your *** I'd juice, Particularly true if I'm supporting a family.

There is that, yes.
It's easy for me taking the moral high ground from the comfort of my circumstances. I'd like to think I'd be red, white and blue honest throughout anything. I'd like to think that.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I heard a head of a drug testing agency say on a broadcast that the testers are and will always be a step behind the dopers. It makes sense - the doping athletes and their cohorts will always look for a way to beat the test. Once they find it, it takes the testers a while to figure out how they're beating the test, then some more time to revise their methods and procedures.

Some of the athletes from the London are just now being prosecuted because the drugs testers held on to their samples until tests came in that would prove they were doping. That means the drugs testers are at least four years behind the dopers.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Some of the athletes from the London are just now being prosecuted because the drugs testers held on to their samples until tests came in that would prove they were doping. That means the drugs testers are at least four years behind the dopers.

Wow. Worse than I thought. I'm just dumbfounded by that one.

There was an ESPN 30 for 30 about Ben Johnson and the runners during that Olympiad. The tester held onto samples from then and re-tested them about 10 or so years later when he had better technology available. I think he said 80% of them that were negative tested positive with better technology (don't hold me to the exact number). So many were positive that he stopped. He said something like he couldn't do anything at that point, he did it out of curiosity, and he got disgusted by the results, so he stopped. He didn't test half the samples he had.

If you've got access to it (it's available on Nextfix here), it's a good episode. The Marion Jones one was as well.

Last edited:

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
Wouldn't surprise me if he did, but until they actually release "what" he tested for I withhold judgment. He was tested multiple times in a 9 day period and only one of the tests came back positive.

There are many substances that are legal that will fail a test and only further testing will show. For example, many asthma inhalers will fail a test (one speculation that has been given in this case). Or the example of Machida, he bought an over the counter health food store supplement that is legal, but was added to the banned substance list the year prior. I know it is the fighters responsibility to know what's on the list, but if I got a vitamin supplement from my local grocery store, I might not think to look for it on the list.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
DD likes to start trouble, and then act like he's above the fray. It's his MO.

Sorry you think that, Steve. I certainly don't intend what you describe.
As I see it, I state my position, and if it's a factual matter I try to be willing to provide references. If it's a matter of opinion, I try to give some reason why I think the way I do.
If someone asks for clarification, I can try to provide it.
After that, it's flogging a dead horse, and I don't see any reason to do that, generally.
This post, for example, is extremely unlikely to get any further response from me. You (or anyone) can comment of course, but I'm unlikely to reply again.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, the Soviets did develop, test and use a lot of steroids back in the day.

Every country did, back in the day, and do, still. As someone else mentioned, it's an ongoing issue. They develop new PED, then new testing has to be developed. Then new drugs are developed...

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Sorry you think that, Steve. I certainly don't intend what you describe.
As I see it, I state my position, and if it's a factual matter I try to be willing to provide references. If it's a matter of opinion, I try to give some reason why I think the way I do.
If someone asks for clarification, I can try to provide it.
After that, it's flogging a dead horse, and I don't see any reason to do that, generally.
This post, for example, is extremely unlikely to get any further response from me. You (or anyone) can comment of course, but I'm unlikely to reply again.
You crack me up. It's like you fart in a room and are surprised when people think it smells bad. Not being personally accountable is akin to blaming the dog.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Every country did, back in the day, and do, still. As someone else mentioned, it's an ongoing issue. They develop new PED, then new testing has to be developed. Then new drugs are developed...
My lay understanding is that it's more to do with new masking agents than new PEDs. i don't really know, but that's what I've read.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score

Kind of reminds me of Lance Armstrong. If you watched any of his interviews he always said something very specific. "I have never used any BANNED substances". He never said he wasn't taking PED's.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
You crack me up. It's like you fart in a room and are surprised when people think it smells bad. Not being personally accountable is akin to blaming the dog.

Crop dusting?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My lay understanding is that it's more to do with new masking agents than new PEDs. i don't really know, but that's what I've read.

It's not my area, but I suspect it's some of both. New ways to hide it, new ways to uncover it, new combinations, new ways to sneak in a clean sample from someone else, new ways...

Skullpunch

Green Belt
Reaction score
I usually don't get too up in arms over steroid busts but here's what makes this particular case completely fukked. Dana White enabled an exemption to USADA testing for Lesnar (but not Hunt) - it's obvious he booked this fight on short notice in order to slip him through the loophole that would enable this. So not only did his opponent cheat but his CEO helped him do it - keep in mind that we're not hitting a ball with a stick here (I honestly give zero fukks about steroids in those sports) - but rather we're killing brain cells and ripping joints apart. Roids are a wee bit more consequential here than they are in baseball. His opponent cheated and his employer committed blatant fraud, both in ways that jeopardized his safety. On top of that, Hunt made about 7% of what Lesnar made. The whole thing just exudes fraud every which way.

Latest Discussions