Britian's Got Talent Thread

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well another gem comes out of the pile of rocks... sheesh... just wonders how many more are hidden among the population.

This guy... shy as all get out and sings from Les Mes and gets a standing ovation from the audience.
Simon was actually nice to the guy though blunt... got to believe in yourself and the audience shows how appreciative they can be.

[yt]91uauoeG64c[/yt]

Wow for this wall flower. Just wow. Touching also his quiet acceptance of their adoration.

Ah there's beautiful, isn't it? it's what you get in Wales see, it's the land of song isn't it!

We've had Pop Idol here before American Idol, we also have X Factor and Simon is always much the same. I actually like him, he knows what he's talking about, he wouldn't be a multi millionaire if he didn't. I suspect he has little time for idiots.

OP
MA-Caver

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Put a pillow under your chin when you click play on this guy...
[yt]DhFRFtSzdSI&fmt=18[/yt]

Simon said it best... it's like a dog meowing...

I wondered... this guy's gnads have dropped... haven't they?? :confused:

Definitely incredible job.

*walks away shaking his head in amazement and scratching it in puzzlement* Think I need a drink....

Then you get this guy...
[yt]f6zBwbIvq7U[/yt]

Gordon Nore

Senior Master
Reaction score
Then you get this guy...
[yt]f6zBwbIvq7U[/yt]

Actually, I was more impressed with the second guy. Simon's comments were right on the money. He has a very unique sound, and the Mick Hucknell comparison is dead-on.

As much as I enjoy and respect Susan Boyle, it's good to see how broad this competition is. I look forward to seeing the lead acts grow.

Dang, can't rep you Caver, but thanks for running this thread. These little YT clips from BGT have been really uplifting -- something I dont' often say about commercial television.

OP
MA-Caver

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Dang, can't rep you Caver, but thanks for running this thread. These little YT clips from BGT have been really uplifting -- something I dont' often say about commercial television.
It's one of the things that I love about it... ordinary everyday people either living their dreams or pursuing them... and coming out and saying "hey, I believe in myself enough to really rilly want to do this" and they do.

Thanks for your desire to rep... it's appreciated. Rep others who are JUST as deserving if not MORE than I... :asian:

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I really enjoyed watching this young fellow. His name is Callum Francis. He's an excellent performer, but what was really endearing to me is that he is still a child, and not a child trying to be an adult.

[yt]wxsOgj3cC74[/yt]

OP
MA-Caver

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I really enjoyed watching this young fellow. His name is Callum Francis. He's an excellent performer, but what was really endearing to me is that he is still a child, and not a child trying to be an adult.
Aww geez I'm a old softie, I got tears in my eyes...*sniff* wow... laughing and just really enjoying watching that. I love "Oliver!" it's one of my favorite of the British stage musicals (Scrooge being another) as the songs are among the best.
Yeah, that is what this kid's charm is, the being of himself and "acting his age". A very well contained (disciplined) child at that... how he contained himself on stage until he got his 3 "yeses" then you could read his body language at the sheer joy his heart must been bursting with as he ran off and jumped into the arms of his father and mother. The ones who encouraged him, nurtured him and raised him.

Thanks Carol for that find. Gonna be hard to top.

Gordon Nore

Senior Master
Reaction score

He and the other little girl who sang while dressed as a ballerina are destined for the stage.

OP
MA-Caver

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Okay and sometimes Britain... DOESN'T have talent :rolleyes:

Was someone strangling a cat during Emma's performance? :lol: One of the funnier auditions to be sure.

[yt]ly3wMKDVFWY[/yt]

I have to give Emma a nod for being stalwart and bold enough to speak her mind in spite of the fact that she CANNOT bloody sing!

However... Sue Son... this pretty young lady shows that sometimes there ARE second chances.

[yt]30Vsfiw9lOs[/yt]

Just loved her scream of joy when Simon gave her the final Yes.
Well deserved yeses too.

Last edited:
OP
MA-Caver

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
5 year old Thomas Herron does the dreaded magic act on BGT.
Scrappy little fellow, probably the only contestant that wasn't intimidated by Simon :lol:
Check him out. 1 trick but not bad for his age. WTG Tommy.

[yt]46mfni1OUPM&[/yt]

OP
MA-Caver

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Meet Eugene, the Nerds return! Holy cow... at first you think this is just part of the act then you recognize that this guy is for real... either that or a very good actor. Piers X-ed him at first then had to eat crow.
Simon looked like he was thinking about it but restrained himself and was glad for it.
Check it out!

[yt]BhZzgH033Zk[/yt]

Then there's 10 year old Natalie Okri... tiny little package with a big voice, and 100% adorable.

[yt]fCJXLkWjw6E[/yt]

OP
MA-Caver

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Yep... Piers has Talent too... these kids are great... Leaders of the free world indeed!... :lol:

[yt]W2MGGb1AlK0[/yt]

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hollie Steel does make it through to the final, although I almost wish I hadn't watched it.

She breaks down on stage, and forgets her words. As a musician myself I understand how nerves and the pressure of certain situations can be paralyzing. I don't fault her for the goof...but what happened next left a bad taste in my mouth. She starts "crying" - in a tight closeup you can't see tears on her face - then gets comforted by her pushy stage mom who asks Simon to do the song again. When Hollie is told by Ant and Dec that there is not enough time, she throws a tantrum.

[yt]iOWQwBqhmOA[/yt]

Simon overrides, and gives her another go of it. She does the song well and hits some amazing high notes at the end. Its not till she finishes this song and the judges say she's a sure bet for the final can you actually see tears on her cheek when she cries.

[yt]3SknsXtcXM0[/yt]

I dunno. There were a lot of real tears on the show, including young Shaheen that became fast friends with MD Showgroup, and was devastated that the challenge for the runner up slot on his night was between him and his newfound mates.

There was something about Hollie that just wasn't genuine. Not that I really want to heap criticism on a 10 year old, but the show was very uncomfortable for me to watch after that.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hollie Steel does make it through to the final, although I almost wish I hadn't watched it.

She breaks down on stage, and forgets her words. As a musician myself I understand how nerves and the pressure of certain situations can be paralyzing. I don't fault her for the goof...but what happened next left a bad taste in my mouth. She starts "crying" - in a tight closeup you can't see tears on her face - then gets comforted by her pushy stage mom who asks Simon to do the song again. When Hollie is told by Ant and Dec that there is not enough time, she throws a tantrum.

[yt]iOWQwBqhmOA[/yt]

Simon overrides, and gives her another go of it. She does the song well and hits some amazing high notes at the end. Its not till she finishes this song and the judges say she's a sure bet for the final can you actually see tears on her cheek when she cries.

[yt]3SknsXtcXM0[/yt]

I dunno. There were a lot of real tears on the show, including young Shaheen that became fast friends with MD Showgroup, and was devastated that the challenge for the runner up slot on his night was between him and his newfound mates.

There was something about Hollie that just wasn't genuine. Not that I really want to heap criticism on a 10 year old, but the show was very uncomfortable for me to watch after that.

I know exactly what you mean, I'd turned on just after she'd fluffed it and got to watch her tantrum, it made me squirm. It also made me squirm when Simon told her she was 'officially the bravest girl in the world', wtf? yep it made me swear under my breath! nerves yes but oh dear I didn't enjoy that performance at all. I could see 'stageschool brat' written all over it.
The old guy break dancing is causing a lot of comment.... because he's being drawing invalidity benefit for a bad back, was even given a car! Mmm -jokes on taxpayer there!

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just watched the final, I shan't post who won though as people may be watching it at different times. I'm chuffed with who won though, well deserved and a very good verdict from the British people.

Certain other acts will be looking at having good careers whether or not they won so they don't lose really.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Me too. I'll just say this much....the top performers were brilliant. Its not on TV over here, we're catching it on youtube or on ITV's web site. I bet they've never had so many American watchers :D

I will say though...your version of the show is a lot better than ours. America's Got Talent starts in a couple of weeks and the judges will be Piers, David Hasslehoff, Sharon Osborn, and that hot young stud who married Mariah Carey. Its just not the same without Simon, and the chemistry that Simon, Piers, and Amanda have together is great. Half the fun of the show is watching their reaction.

I've personally boycotted America's Got Talent and American Idol on principle...those shows are a bloody nightmare for someone in my line of work. I am getting such a kick out of watching yours, I get to enjoy great talent, charming brogues and.....I don't have to fix the overloaded phone circuits!! :lol2:

OP
MA-Caver

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It's one of the reasons why I started this thread because of the amazing talents that have been displayed over on that side of the pond is well... amazing. I'm sure America and quite a few other countries have just as much talent but Britian for the time being is really shining.

On the Hollie Steel thing... it does feel a bit like manipulative scripting, but yes as Simon pointed out 10 years old not all are going to be "brave" enough to stand up and realize the amount of pressure that is before them.
It's one thing to do it for the first time and be nervous but to realize that you are in the semi-finals it can be overwhelming. Yes, she was really crying and my heart went out to her.

She sang the song well both times. You can hear a bit of faltering in the first performance and that could've been from her nervousness and she caught it and that's probably why she broke down... thinking "I just blew it!" and was crushed. It was decent to let her try again after composing herself and bucking up her courage yet if she went all the way through the first time and didn't get 3 yeses... then what?
That's the breaks. Natalie Okrie got booted and she is I think 9 or 10 yrs. old... it happens.

Susan Boyle still probably will win it through but the kids do well and will probably go all the way to the finals.

OP
MA-Caver

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Susan Boyle still probably will win it through but the kids do well and will probably go all the way to the finals.

Ok... so... I was wrong. :rolleyes: Seems it was for the same reason that everyone else thought too... nobody voted because they took her winning for granted... how sad.
Dream over: Boyle finishes 2nd in reality show

By JENNIFER QUINN, Associated Press Writer Jennifer Quinn, Associated Press Writer – Sat May 30, 9:12 pm ET

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090531/ap_en_mu/eu_britain_boyle
LONDON – She gave a final curtsey, a shimmy of her hips, and walked off stage, leaving the winners to perform an encore. But it's unlikely that finishing second on "Britain's Got Talent" Saturday night to a dance troupe called "Diversity" will be the end of Susan Boyle's showbiz dream.
The 48-year-old church volunteer became an Internet phenomenon after she auditioned for the television talent show, her show-stopping voice combining with her frumpy appearance to make her a must-see on YouTube.
For the finals, she returned to the song that made her famous, "I Dreamed a Dream" from the musical "Les Miserables." She wore a glamorous but modest sparkly floor-length dress, and her once-grey frizzy hair was a soft brown halo.
She appeared more polished and animated than in previous performances, but seemed uncomfortable during banter with the judges after her song. Judge Simon Cowell said Boyle had a rough brush with fame, but that she was "a nice, shy person who wants a break."
The week leading up to Saturday's performance had been a tumultuous one for Boyle. She lost her cool during a confrontation with two reporters, and the police intervened. Another contest judge said Boyle had contemplated pulling out of the program to soothe her frazzled nerves.
"A lot of people said you shouldn't even be in this competition, that you weren't equipped to deal with it," Cowell said. "I totally disagree with that.
Her performance at the final judging.
[yt]b2xiAQCTy2E[/yt]
As to the reason why she lost...
"She lost because people didn't bother voting for her because they thought she was going to win it," lamented 21-year-old Gordon Mackenzie. "I didn't vote for her because I thought everyone else would."
The winning performance by Diversity and admittedly they were near flawless, if not totally.

[yt]KJIz8BgRQc0[/yt]

Last edited:

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Susan Boyle is about to release her first album. Here is a clip from the America's Got Talent finale wherein she performs "Wild Horses." No dream dead here.

[yt]DJIDr15duZk[/yt]