Gimme an "T"!
Gimme an "E"!
Gimme an "M"!
Gimme an "A"!
:shrug:

OP
W

WilliamTLear

I WILL NEVER JOIN YOU... EVEN IF YOU ARE MY SISTER'S, FRIEND'S, UNCLE'S COUSIN, TWICE REMOVED!!!

:jediduel:

Billy "Gou must be crazy" Lear

OP
G

GouRonin

Why fight the tide? It's turning baby!
:iws: :barf:

Yari

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Goldendragon7
When should we Kiai (spirit shout) and when not?

Are there different types of yells and which ones are the best and why?

:asian:

You should kiai .... "NOW"!

Some systems have speciale situations in wich they do Kiai. Others do it when they feel it fits. It's all depending on what your system feels is correct.

If there are different kiai's. Well..... strickly speaking.. yes. To my knowledge there are ki-styles that emphesize different kiai. Some of the more extrem believe they can do different things depending on the kind of kiai they use ie. get birds to fall from the sky. I think the best way of using different kiai's is for a kind of vocal meditation, that invokes different mental states.

/yari

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If it feels good, do it.

The only time kiai was really stressed from me was in forms. In forms, I had to make sure I got the required kiai in at the correct spot. I could add more kiai anywhere I wanted, but I also had to do the required kiai. As my instructor says about kiai, "Add all you want, but never take away."

Often, I'll find myself doing kiai during bag drills or something, after I've gotten tired. It gives me a little mental 'wake-up call', and also helps to invigorate me for another rep or three.

Cthulhu

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Are there different types of yells and which ones are the best and why?

There are indeed different approaches to this.

At a recent George Dillman seminar an instructor explained a theory of using sound at different frequencies to increase the effect of certain techniques (mostly locking I think). It was one of two sessions running at the same time and I attended the other session.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
I find I seldom kiai anymore, though it was prevelant in both my traditional karate and kajukenbo training.

I find that I wind up doing sort of a punctuated growl at explosive points in my form. This allows me to focus energy over a period of time, and particularly at the "punctuations." I do it when I am tired and I am getting rocked by my opponent and need a boost, or when I've got him on the ropes and I'm going hard with a combination.

It should be noted that in the traditional budo a "kiai" doesn't have to be loud or even heard. The meeting of spirits refers to only the clash of spirits, not how you project it.

Lamont

Yari

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

Explain in more detail please.....

Well, It's doing kiai with different vocal's: A,E ,I ,O & U. And interchanging between them as in AAaaaaa-OOOOOoouuuuu.
But It's only something I've done for a couple of years, so I''m no expert. I found it good as medidation,but the stuff that you can do things with your voice ie. birds falling from the sky... nope...

/Yari

OP
B

Battousai

Originally posted by tshadowchaser

Try doing a long form and use a full exhale on every move (other than Sanchine)and do the form with speed. Let me know if you get through the form without getting light headed or passing out. Where you able to keep up the speed?
Shadow

I think getting light headed is a good thing (not passing out though). I certainly don't use a full exhale on every move. But doing katas like Sanchin(e) with the proscribed breathing at a fast pace is a good training exercise. The better you get at breathing, the faster you can go with less light headedness. Training your breathing so that you can get in more and more oxygen, while trying to put out more and more force, being winded is a sign that you are pushing the envelop of your cardiovascular system. The better your breathing the more force you can put out at faster and faster rates.
I don't think being light headed is a bad thing, but I no doctor. I get light headed just standing up fast so maybe I shouldn't be one to talk:)

My school teaches kiai theory alot like Cthulhu stated:

QUOTE]Originally posted by Cthulhu
If it feels good, do it.

The only time kiai was really stressed from me was in forms. In forms, I had to make sure I got the required kiai in at the correct spot. I could add more kiai anywhere I wanted, but I also had to do the required kiai. As my instructor says about kiai, "Add all you want, but never take away." [/B][/QUOTE]

Where ever you feel there power in the kata, add a kiai. And when you are taught were specific kiai are in a kata, try to figure out where the power comes from if it isn't readily apparent.

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You need to seriously think about getting some help on breathing concepts. It is one of the most essential principles we have. To not understand it is to forfeit your training.

Yari

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Battousai

I think getting light headed is a good thing (not passing out though).

Getting light headed by breathing technics indicateds a hightend level of oxegyn in the blod. This is "poisen" (sp?) for the brain, so to much of it will kill off brain cells.

I've seen alot of MA or yoga styles /medidation styles emphesize on this(hyper ventilating). Usally they say that they can stop before any damage is made, this is uncorrect. It's like drinking. Each time you drink brain cells get killed. The more you drink the more brain cells. But, is not like big parts of your brian disaper just because you drink a beer each friday. So usally under normal usage you'll never notice it. The same way for breathing technics.

Another misunderstood concept is that because you "feel good" you can achive efficent technics. To my understanding this is not correct. Peoples reaction time was controlled before and after hyperventilation, and the reaction time was the same, but thinking kognativ (logical think and stuff like that) was worse.

But remember that doing hyper ventilation once in a while isn't a problem (just like drinking).

Take care and train well

/Yari

OP
T

tunetigress

As a Wind Instrument educator, Vocal Production trainer, and student of Kenpo , it is clear to me from decades of study of breathing techniques, that no single breathing technique or style can be all things to all people. Some techniques simply do not work with some people! The power of our life itself comes from our breath, and I M H O this is an area of study in which many tend to shortchange themselves. Use of breath for power is a completely different skill than breathing to sustain life, and requires quite a bit of focussed attention on muscular control and development. I encourage those studying MA to explore a wide variety of breathing techniques, and not just those taught in the MA! In fact, over the years some of the best breath training I received was in (gasp!) Yoga training, and Choir! Respectfully, _(_)_ Tune

OP
B

Battousai

Hmm,
I was never talking about hyperventilation. But if light headedness is a bad thing what is a good way to develop breathing techniques in your opinions (Golddragon7 and Yari).
The way I was taught (besides kata) to train breathing was after some exercise, when your heart rate is up, to breath in as deep as possible through the nose, hold it 2 to 5 seconds (longer is better), then exhale as slowly as possible through the mouth. The heart rate goes up when you breath in, and goes down when you breath out. For me, some light headedness comes while trying to hold my breath for 2 to 5 seconds, then falls away when I breath out.
What do you guys think? How different is this from your training methods?
What are the concepts that you think I am missing Golddragon7, please elaborate:)

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sorry, now I understand what you were talking about. It just didn't click for me the way I read it before. LOL

I agree with what you just said and also with Tune! As a past musician (Drums & Trumpet) breathing is definitely necessary!!

The exercises you suggested are good as well as running and swimming and training to hold out underwater as long as you can.
In through the nose for a count of 5 and out for a slow methodical count of 10 is the generic drill.

Keep it up!

Latest Discussions